Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has anyone compared cv axles on hatchback vs sedan?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

has anyone compared cv axles on hatchback vs sedan?

hello, I'm in the middle of replacing a wheel bearing on my g4 and have to replace the axle. Ive had the original axle off a few times doing other repairs and the threads are just gone now. I've already ordered another sedan axle from lkq and it came with bad threads ( I have 3 new axle nuts on hand none of them want to begin to thread on) im contemplating ordering an axle for the hatchback from rockauto but my local mitsubishi dealer wasn't much help they just said the part numbers were different. I don't see why they would be? I know the wheelbase aren't shared between the two I don't see why you would change up the front end hatchback vs sedan? The car is a 5 speed g4. Ive already bought the wheel bearing and a new inner hub from the dealer and that with labor to press it all together has me wanting to finish this up cheap.

I haven't compared but I'm 98.43% sure there is no difference between the hatch and sedan axles. Compare part numbers on sites like https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.com/ . I have effered the threads on an axle once when I didn't un-hammer the notched part of the nut before trying to remove it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I haven't compared but I'm 98.43% sure there is no difference between the hatch and sedan axles. Compare part numbers on sites like https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.com/ . I have effered the threads on an axle once when I didn't un-hammer the notched part of the nut before trying to remove it.
    remember the service manual tells you how fast to turn the nut for a reason. you probably used an impact...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    remember the service manual tells you how fast to turn the nut for a reason. you probably used an impact...

Most mechanics working on multiple cars all day long for their paycheck ( vs. 1 car in a driveway or parking garage) do use an impact. Especially those on flat rate.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckaduck View Post
    hello,the threads are just gone now. I've already ordered another sedan axle from lkq and it came with bad threads ( I have 3 new axle nuts on hand none of them want to begin to thread on)
    How bad are the threads??? Could you use one of these to help restore them?? https://www.amazon.ca/General-Tools-...709099525&th=1 I've used them lots & they have got me out of situations like yours lots... You should be able to get one at your FLAPS right away...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I think you thinking of the nut that holds the drum on. Or you’re really confused and are thinking of the torque specs for the axle nut…does anyone use a torque wrench when they remove their wheels?
    I’d be unemployed if I removed axle nuts by hand…

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I always took the axle nut off by hand with a breaker bar. I did fail to read the service manual about taking a certain amount of time to remove it. This is my third time removing this axle/ re staking it though so in my opinion its understandable for it to wear out. I make my money with this car doing medical delivery contracts (used to be a flat rate tech lost my job to the pandemic as a mechanic, medical deliveries pay more than I ever thought I would make) so I'd honestly just rather replace the axle while I'm in there if I can with a $70 hatchback axle might save me a break down and missing a few days work. If the cv axle didn't have 150k miles I would definitely want to try to repair the threads. Im gonna go ahead and order the hatchback axle and return the lkq axle. Ill compare it with my stripped stock one and let everyone know. I think the lkq tech either used an impact on the axle i got from them or they hammered it out of the hub and mushroomed it slightly

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckaduck View Post
    hello, I'm in the middle of replacing a wheel bearing on my g4 and have to replace the axle. Ive had the original axle off a few times doing other repairs and the threads are just gone now. I've already ordered another sedan axle from lkq and it came with bad threads ( I have 3 new axle nuts on hand none of them want to begin to thread on) im contemplating ordering an axle for the hatchback from rockauto but my local mitsubishi dealer wasn't much help they just said the part numbers were different. I don't see why they would be? I know the wheelbase aren't shared between the two I don't see why you would change up the front end hatchback vs sedan? The car is a 5 speed g4. Ive already bought the wheel bearing and a new inner hub from the dealer and that with labor to press it all together has me wanting to finish this up cheap.
    I finally compared part numbers and re-read your post again. I have no idea why they say the axles are different between the sedan and hatch. They do appear to have different part numbers...
    But the transmissions seem to share the same part numbers and so do the hubs so I'd assume the splines would be the same on both ends. Control arms are the same too so I don't see why they'd be a different length.

Hopefully that works out for you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for looking it fummins! I thought the exact same. Maybe the unibody could be slightly wider at the front? But that wouldn't make much sense to me. It would just cost more for mitsubishi to manufacture imo. I almost wonder if there are two different part numbers so they can charge more for the sedan parts after selling less sedans.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://ibb.co/vwBTpX7

So the axles are a different length. Im trying to decide if I should risk trying to put the new outer cv joint on the old axle now or get another lkq axle. Or try ro repair the theads on the factory axle. I refuse to pay mitsubishis prices for a tiny cv axle. Its ridiculous imo. Very unhappy with mitsubishi atm. My car will be finding a new home sooner than later..... maybe a dealer will drag it out of my driveway as it sits with the shortage of cars......