Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red overheating light 2015 Mitsubishi mirage - UPDATE: coolant was low

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Red overheating light 2015 Mitsubishi mirage - UPDATE: coolant was low

I have a 2015 mirage with 30,000 on it and recebtly I saw the red temp light come on. The first time it flickered and went off. The 2nd time (tonight) it came on steady for a few seconds (20-40s?) And then went back off. Anyone else have this problem or ideas? I called the Mitsubishi dealership here and they told me to bring it in if it doesn't happen again but the light does not stay on long enough for them to diagnose it, etc. So, more details. Both think this has happened I have had the windows up, no AC, using the USB for music, no AC or heater, and getting extremely wonderful gas mileage ... Like up50-52. For fairly short distances of highway driving... 30+/- miles total. Coolant is in the resovoir.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Interesting. I always hated coolant temp 'idiot lights'. I am not sure what the threshold is for the light to come on, but if you have only seen it a couple times for a few seconds it probably isn't a big deal.

But I'd sure take it in if it happens again. Somebody had a head gasket blow on their Mirage, and that is something a high temp warning light could indicate.

Pull off the radiator cap and look for milky, oily residue on the bottom of it (COOL engine). Do the same for your oil filler cap. And check your dipstick for evidence of coolant.

Personally, I have never seen my high temp light come on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    It could be caused by lots of things. Did the cooling fan work? This wouldn't matter so much if your were moving along at the time of the fault, as opposed to being stuck in traffic.

Borrow a code scanner to see what codes were stored, if any.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Smentkc3 (11-02-2016)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Bring your car to Mitsubisshi Service center and demand an explanation and let them be responsible for whatever service advice they will make, record your servce consultation with them in your smart phone. Perhaps there is a record of fault code history that can be retreived by OBD scanner. Otherwise,
    let them replace your temperature sensor under warranty or have it tested for defect. It is scary situation, don't just rely on a goodluck.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gerami For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (10-28-2016),Smentkc3 (11-02-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Get a Scan Gauge or similar monitor. It's not expensive, it has a lot of functionality, it's easy to install and use, and most importantly...it allows you to monitor ACTUAL engine conditions (like coolant temperature) so you can see a potential problem coming. If you had a Scangauge in your car, you would know immediately if that red light meant you were overheating.

This is the first item that goes in any car I own.

Here is an image of my Scangauge coming back from lunch today. In this image, I have it set up to read instantaneous mpg, voltage, coolant temperature, and intake air temperature.

Name:  scan.jpg
Views: 5905
Size:  86.4 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 10-27-2016 at 07:22 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-02-2016),MetroMPG (11-03-2016),poorman1 (10-28-2016),wellswebdesign (10-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Seconded. I think I paid $70 on eBay. I've got a Scan Gauge E. It's fun to watch the "cold engine light" go out when the Scan Gauge shows the coolant hit 137-139 F. Also fun to watch the temp go down when the coolant fan kicks on when I'm waiting in a drive thru line in the summer. So much more good info on it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-15-2021),poorman1 (10-28-2016),Top_Fuel (10-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hello everybody and thanks for your comments. So, my original information was incorrect. Update 1: There -IS- definitely coolant loss. The overflow tank went from full to almost half full in approx 4 days of driving 40 miles a day. Update 2: I took it to an authorized Mitsubishi dealership and they found no leak. They pressure tested it, checked codes, and found nothing. Of course, I asked about the radiator cap and they said that's the first thing they checked. The oil which has over 2000 miles since the last change like new - no sign of coolant leaking into the oil. Any ideas/guesses out there? My best guess is that there is a slow leak in the overflow bottle or the hose and that's why they can't find a code error or a leak during the pressure test. Also, I did notice a small hole on the bottleneck of the coolant reservoir but I imagine that is simply a vent. Seriously, any advanced mechanic opinions would be amazing. Also, the red light has not come on since my last post.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Gerami, please see my newest comment. Took it to the dealership after confirming that I noticed a loss of coolant, and they found nothing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    If you are thinking about adding coolant make sure it's the correct type coolant. The Mirage does not use regular glycol based coolant.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    So the overflow bottle is at halfway? I wonder if it is near the mark for normal level?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)