Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT owners... what is "Idle Neutral Logic"? And what is it like to drive?

CVT owners... what is "Idle Neutral Logic"? And what is it like to drive?

Name:  2013_mitsubishi_mirage_gls_cvt_07.jpg
Views: 5099
Size:  25.9 KB

The Mitsu press release from the New York Auto Show Mirage launch this morning mentioned a feature of the CVT transmission that I hadn't seen before: idle neutral logic.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

I'm assuming it means that the transmission goes into neutral whenever you stop, and that's the reason why the CVT also has Hill Start Assist so you don't roll backwards when releasing the brakes on a grade.

If that's what it is, it must be another fuel saving feature to reduce load on the engine when stopped, rather than remaining in gear, constantly trying to drive the car forward while your foot is on the brake.

Is that about right?

====

Update: see post #22 for the list of conditions when the feature is active or not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    According to Mitsubishi Service sheet 411 (2012) you are absolutely right:

Idle-Neutral Logic

This system shifts the transmission into neutral when the vehicle comes to a complete stop and the brakes are applied. By shifting into neutral, Idle Neutral Logic lessens the amount of power needed to turn the transmission thus reducing drag on the engine. Less power equals less gas required and conserves fuel.

Source: http://touch.mservice411.com/c/idle-neutral-logic

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star 'Instyle' 1.2 automatic: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 58.2 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to talldino For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-29-2013),DemiRage (05-22-2015),fc321 (07-19-2017),MetroMPG (03-29-2013)

Aha. Merci, monsieur.

On to part two (added to the thread title):

What is it like to drive?

Does it stay in neutral and wait until you press the accelerator again before going back into gear? Doesn't that create a delay in starting up compared to a "regular" automatic transmission? Is it a smooth transition?

Will the car "creep" forward when you let your foot off the brake, or do you have to give it a little gas?

Enquiring minds want to know...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    During my test-drive I noticed that there was almost no 'creeping'. Neither in 'forward' nor in 'reverse'.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star 'Instyle' 1.2 automatic: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 58.2 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to talldino For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-12-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I wonder if, as a fuel economy modification, one could setup a switch to engage this neutral logic at will? I would also wonder if that would do any damage to the transmission due to lack of lubrication as is the case for some automatic transmissions...
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

(I have to admit I wondered the same thing.)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    So that explains why when I release the brake, the car surges forward instead of slowly creeping like other TC autos.

But so far seems like it has strange engagements. Let me test it out later and get back to you guys =)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I have never noticed my Mirage creep forwards, in fact it does seem to be a little more laggy off the line then other auto's including my CVT Outlander. Hill Assist you can definitely feel it holding the brakes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage LS (Australia) 1.2 automatic: 34.8 mpg (US) ... 14.8 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    but it doesn't seem to kick in everytime. sometime during a jam, after a few stop-gos, then stop at traffic light, it will not work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Polkiuj For This Useful Post:

bzacon (04-21-2017)

It could be part of the "logic" that it doesn't go to neutral every time the car stops if it has been started/stopped several times in a short amount of time/distance.

Some hybrids and engine stop/start systems are programmed like this: they will shut the engine down for the initial stop, but if you move ahead again (engine restart) only a short distance, it may not shut down again until you've gone above a certain speed threshold. Otherwise the feature may become annoying to the driver.

The neutral-to-start engagement of the Mirage CVT may be programmed the same way for the same reason.

I'm interested in seeing this feature first hand.