Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing a MAF sensor housing for custom air intakes

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Developing a MAF sensor housing for custom air intakes

As Darin and I have alluded to here and there, I've been working on developing a part for our Mirages. I'm starting this thread to show the development process because I think its fun and interesting. The part I'm developing is a stand alone mass airflow (MAF) sensor housing. It will be used for those of you who would like to make their own custom air intakes.

The OEM MAF sensor housing is molded into the airbox. If you want to make a custom air intake, you have to cut up the airbox to do so. A few guys have done this already, but a new airbox from Mitsubishi costs about $45 shipped to your door, and then you have to hack it up. The much easier solution? A custom MAF sensor housing that drops right in.

But, one can not make a custom MAF sensor housing without knowing the dimensions of the original, so I ordered one of the OEM airbox housings. Here are some pics.

Name:  airbox01.jpg
Views: 7722
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  airbox02.jpg
Views: 6676
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  airbox03.jpg
Views: 6775
Size:  38.6 KB

As you can see, its not a horribly complex part, but its not super simple either.

Stay tuned for updates.

================================================== ===

UPDATE: I've made a 3d printed version of the MAF housing and they are for sale. More info here.

MAF sensor housing

MAF sensor housing - $29.99 shipped

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (03-11-2015),MetroMPG (03-09-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The end result would be a piece similar in function to this:

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does this come with the lid? I want to modify my air box so that I can get a larger 2 to 3 inch pipe out and delete the stock inlet tube, I want the new inlet tube to be as close to the firewall as possible so I can build a hot air intake. With a larger diameter inlet tube it would also give that performance intake sound even with a stock filter, it would also allow me to use my stock air filter so I can keep receipts for warranty.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No, the lid is a separate number. I did not order it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As I mentioned in our "What do you do?" thread, I'm a mechanical designer. I model parts in 3d and make drawings to get them produced. So, the next logical step for me was to model up the MAF sensor housing. This was a fairly quick process that I just did this past weekend. I took measurements of the airbox and transferred them to the model as accurately as I could. A lot was measured up with a digital caliper to ensure good accuracy.

When developing a new product like this, you have the opportunity to tweak certain things too which is always quite nice. In this example, I was able to make sure the outer diameter of the MAF housing was 2" on both ends. If you hack up the OEM airbox, the outlet end is 2" and the inlet end is 1.875". With this part, it'll be 2" on both ends for easier and more consistent sized connections.

Name:  mafhousing1.jpg
Views: 6245
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  mafhousing2.jpg
Views: 7446
Size:  46.1 KB

So, the next step is figuring out how we're going to make these parts... Stay tuned for updates.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

RedRage (04-28-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That looks awesome!
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. Its quite a bit of fun designing car parts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Any suggestions or guesses on how to make it?

Really sharp wood chisels, and lots of patience!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    3d printer?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)