View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 102 of 110 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1099

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Excellent!

Too bad probably 95% of Mirage owners will never know about the potential issue, or think to have it checked from tire wear.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'm buying the mirage today.....should I bother with the checking the alignment? The service department will be closed. If I try to rush it into the service department at closing time, some technician will probably scratch/dent it or they might even mess the alignment.

Is it a big problem? On my corolla, I drove the same tires for 5 years....in fact, the last alignment I did was in 2013 (when I bought the tires). I think my parents 2000 corolla....they haven't done an alignment for almost 10 years.

Is it really a problem?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morse View Post
    I'm buying the mirage today.....should I bother with the checking the alignment? The service department will be closed. If I try to rush it into the service department at closing time, some technician will probably scratch/dent it or they might even mess the alignment.

Is it a big problem? On my corolla, I drove the same tires for 5 years....in fact, the last alignment I did was in 2013 (when I bought the tires). I think my parents 2000 corolla....they haven't done an alignment for almost 10 years.

Is it really a problem?
    The problem seems to be worse with the 14's & 15's. It wouldn't hurt to have it checked as soon as it's convenient to have a reputable 3rd party shop check it. Post some pics after you pick up your new ride!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Well, it is a real problem but I haven't heard of it with many 2017 & newer Mirages. That doesn't mean the problem is gone.

I got my alignment checked with my first free oil change. When the rear axle was discovered to be out of specifications a new one was ordered and installed with no out of pocket expense to me, including the new Outlander the service department provided as a loaner.

Definitely share your alignment results here so others may benefit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    If you're talking about buying a new one...then you don't need to sweat bullets over it. It's covered under warranty.

But definitely get a 4-wheel alignment check ASAP...especially if you can find a place that will check it for free (like NTB). You're not only worried about your rear alignment being out of whack...you want to make sure your front end is aligned properly, too. Lots of these cars rolled out of the factory where the front end was out of spec (including my own car).

The OEM tires on these cars don't seem to last long to begin with...so do yourself a favor and make sure they are aligned properly for maximum tire life (and a littl mpg boost to go with it).

The rear alignment issue IS a real problem that has affected a significant number of cars. But a little due diligence will take care of it. Just don't stick your head in the sand and come back here 18 months from now and tell us your rear tires are worn out after 12,000 miles...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    morse got three quick responses in short order. This forum is great...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Look at this post: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1302460

He says it's not really a problem if it's a bit out of spec. This seems to correlate with what I experience with my corolla...I never aligned it over 5 years and hit some major potholes. Last year, the steering would pull to the left slightly.

If it lasts 5 years with bad alignment, I mean...is it really a problem? (I know alignment companies will say otherwise).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    No need to go to the Fit forum for answers. Just make sure you read the Rear Alignment Problem FAQ

This is anecdotal evidence...but I'm not sure newer Mirages are any less prone to the problem. I surf CarMax a lot, and I still see low-mileage Mirages showing up with 2 new tires. Hmmm...there could be a legit reason a car with super-low miles needs 2 new tires...but when it's a Mirage, you tend to assume there's a problem.

Here are 2 examples I just found a minute ago...

Name:  mirage.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  49.7 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 04-05-2018 at 08:18 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I found 100s of used low mileage mirages from carmax that don't have new tires. In fact, I saw only 2 that had new tires. In science, when you want to prove all swans are black...you don't look for white swans, you look for black swans.

Mitsubishi and Ford has not fixed this problem for 5 model years (yes, some years didn't have the torsion axle design). It only takes a very minor change at the factory to fix it (nth of degree adjustment etc). There could be some sort of miscommunication in the spec sheets vs factory manufactering/engineers (happens all the time in IT industry)

I think maybe Mitsubishi corporate just says "yes" to anybody with this particular problem just to satisfy within the warranty period,

The "honda fit" guy's reply makes a lot of sense....they don't consider it a problem, it's designed to "toe out" when hard braking etc.

Also consider the fact that the new torsion bar replacements they sent could also have the problem. That means they designed it with a varying degree....all within the "spec" (just not the specs they published). What is the chance mitsubishi and ford uses the same exact torsion bar from the same factory?!?!

There are millions of mirages sold every year, we the forum won't even be 1% of that. The complaints regarding this particular problem is less than 1%.

Is this REALLY a problem?
    Last edited by morse; 04-05-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    yes, it is.

2014 White SE with CVT