View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 103 of 110 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1099

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morse View Post
    Is this REALLY a problem?
    If a car wears out a pair of tires in 10,000 miles due to an alignment problem that can't be corrected without replacing the entire axle assembly, that's a REAL problem in anyone's book. Any car that's tracking that poorly is going to have an annoying pull...and it's going to cost some fuel economy in the process. I've read (and seen) enough to know that the percentage of Mirages with deficient rear axles is greater than 1%. Look...that doesn't mean people shouldn't buy a Mirage...it just means owners should exercise a little bit of common-sense preventative medicine when it comes to checking the alignment and/or closely monitoring tire wear.

In my opinion... As a pro-active preventative measure, everyone who buys a Mirage should get a 4-wheel alignment check...even if the car is brand new. If you read the FAQ, you know how to get it done for free. Even if the car's rear axle is within specs, there's a very good chance that the front end is out of spec. We've had more than 30 owners randomly post their 4-wheel alignment numbers. I think only 1 or 2 of those had all 4 wheels aligned properly from the factory. These are great cars and they are reliable...but whoever is supervising the alignment crew at the factory needs to be transferred to a new spot on the assembly line.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's not a problem if you don't mind an off center steering wheel, a car that tracks at an angle going down the road, squirly handling at higher speed on crappy pavement, and wasting money replacing tires more often than would normally be necessary. So in other words, yeah, it's a problem.

Country
    Finland
    Thanks
    We have nearly 60,000km now on our Space Star, roughly 30,000km from these have been driven on summer tires which need to be changed now. Thread wear is not even on these tires.

I'm going to get my alignment checked for the new tires.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2 Cleartec Invite CVT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star 1.2 automatic: 41.2 mpg (US) ... 17.5 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I doubt they even check factory alignment for US bound mirages. The highest tier of inspection was applied to Japan bound and US bound mirages for the first few months of the '14 model year production, then it was to be dropped for US destined cars.
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Rear alignment specs on my moms mirage. There isn't any unusual tire wear. Think this warrants having the rear axle looked at by the dealer? She's about to get Eibach springs put on in the next couple of weeks. Have been reading how lowering could make alignment worse. I'm trying to see how lowering on a solid axle will cause the alignment to get worse.

Name:  31682569_10155971147332550_5396865473893629952_n.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  65.8 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chdrummerdude View Post
    There isn't any unusual tire wear.
    How many miles are on the current tires...and have they been rotated regularly? The longer that left rear tire has been in place and isn't showing signs of funky wear, then the more likely you are to be OK. You're so close on the numbers that the dealer could probably lean on the alignment machine to get it into the green range.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    40k on the original set and they weren't rotated regularly. My dad said the tires that were pulled off looked like they were all wore in evenly. I agree this was a 3rd party check. I know the dealer could fudge the numbers enough to look in spec. My hope is that the eibachs won't make it any worse as she isn't having any issues now. She just wants the car lowered a little and is bumping up to 15" Konig heliums.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    40k on the original set and they weren't rotated regularly.
    If you got 40K miles out of Dunlop Enasaves and your rear tires don't have any odd wear pattern, you are fine. Slap on the Eibachs and see what happens.

...and is bumping up to 15" Konig heliums.
    I've been running those wheels for 40K+ miles with no issues. Check out my thread on Heliums here.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If you got 40K miles out of Dunlop Enasaves and your rear tires don't have any odd wear pattern, you are fine. Slap on the Eibachs and see what happens.

I've been running those wheels for 40K+ miles with no issues. Check out my thread on Heliums here.
    I read through that thread a while back, I just recently joined cause I wanted to share the cars alignment numbers and get opinions. I should get the eibachs in the next two weeks and the Konigs should be shipped within the next two weeks as well. (Both are back ordered) I'll see where everything stands after we get all that done. I just recently lowered my Fiesta ST and the alignment didn't change so I'm hoping that its the same for her since I'll be using quality springs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...I should get the eibachs in the next two weeks and the Konigs should be shipped within the next two weeks as well. (Both are back ordered) I'll see where everything stands after we get all that done.
    Let us know if you get some "after" alignment numbers. Should be interesting to see.