View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 110 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    Then how the service agent at the dealership told me the opposite?
    Because he was wrong like I was when I thought I was going to just shim mine.(most cars you can!)

Then I took a closer look and realized that shimming would only change the angle of the rear backing plate with the brake shoes and would not do anything about wheel alignment since the axle that the wheel bearing and hub rides on is welded to the rear H-beam.

Trust me! It is not possible to shim the Mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I went out and took some pics of the passenger rear wheel. In fact, it looks like the backing plate with the brake shoes is attached to the beam with two screws and the axle that supports the wheel bearing is welded to it (the beam). Someone around here is the FSM?

Back view:
    Name:  IMAG3677.jpg
Views: 5318
Size:  95.4 KB

Back view Close-Up:
    Name:  IMAG3680.jpg
Views: 2330
Size:  94.5 KB

Center View:
    Name:  IMAG3679.jpg
Views: 2474
Size:  94.1 KB

Front View:
    Name:  IMAG3682.jpg
Views: 2292
Size:  98.1 KB
    Last edited by R01k; 03-14-2015 at 09:19 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to R01k For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-23-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yup,it's 4 bolts actually. Can't see the front two until the drum/hub is taken off.

But the welded axle is visible. On most other cars the four bolts attach the brakes and hub as an assembly therfore when shimmed everything moves and an alignment can be achieved.

BTW what is FSM?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

R01k (03-14-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    BTW what is FSM?
    Factory Service Manual. It would be nice to have an expanded view of the whole assembly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just logged in to see if anyone has this complaint and here is the thread, Sigh, I am now having the same problem. Seattle's roads are just downright nasty these days and only getting worst. It all started after I had four people in my car, which would be about 800/900 pounds and right after I was done with my guests, I notice my steering wheel is off and my ride a little different now... I wonder.. If I got my car re-aligned and got bigger rims and tires, would it make a difference? I am thinking that because it covers more ground, the bumps would not be so bad, therefore, avoiding my alignments from going out? I am NOT, I repeat, NOT a car expert so I may not be making any sense. I am just trying to find solutions now that I read what everyone said...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Josharoo View Post
    It all started after I had four people in my car, which would be about 800/900 pounds and right after I was done with my guests...
    I think that the issue started the same way for me, although can't be sure. My car has been loaded with me and four somewhat heavy passengers a few times.

The bad news is that everything points to the impossibility to realign the rear wheels in the Mirage. I'm expecting a call from the dealer to forward this problem and will ask them about it.
    Last edited by R01k; 03-20-2015 at 11:36 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'm sure rear alignments are done with shims on the rear spindle where it bolts to the axle, just like VWs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldopelguy View Post
    I'm sure rear alignments are done with shims on the rear spindle where it bolts to the axle, just like VWs.
    The rear axle doesn't bolt on - it's welded.

This is where my talents become handy. Is there a reason we can't find another car with the same size bolt pattern (Corolla, Civic?) get the brakes and spindles from it, and fab up a backing plate to bolt the unit bearing, brakes, etc, on to?

(I know, spoken like the kind of person who will be driving this car 200,000 miles from now...)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is not out of specs because some of you put four or five guys in the car. Like I said about 10 or 12 Mirages that we set up on the alignment machine are all out of spec the same way!

The best I've seen was that only one side of the rear was out of specs and the other barely in. (they all toe in too much)

Quote Originally Posted by oldopelguy View Post
    I am 110,000% sure that it is not like that on the Mirage! At least the US ones.

Looking at the right rear end of the beam from a rear view.

Near the center of the picture there is a shiny spot where the dirt was wiped off. That is the weld of the round axle to the beam.

Name:  150316_0005.jpg
Views: 2285
Size:  61.1 KB

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-25-2016),ThunderG (03-21-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    3dplane is right. My dealer just also noticed that the Mirage cannot be rear aligned. When I asked the service rep what could be done he said: "Well..., that's a really interesting question." Eventually he told me that a mechanic would "give it a shot" next week. I'll ask them what will they try and suggest to start pestering Mitsubishi with this problem.

Can't believe that Mitsu will leave us to wear tire like a Nascar driver and gradually mess up lots of other parts.

Last edited by R01k; 03-22-2015 at 02:48 PM.