View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 43 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The service guy from the dealership told me that after replacing the axle, they realized that had put "the wrong one". I bet what happened actually was that the new axle was also out of alignment. For some reason the District Manager came to check the car out by himself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to R01k For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-02-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    The service guy from the dealership told me that after replacing the axle, they realized that had put "the wrong one". I bet what happened actually was that the new axle was also out of alignment. For some reason the District Manager came to check the car out by himself.
    So what happened? Did you get your car back?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    Could be. But it is also possible that the tech took out the old axle and accidentally put it right back in instead of swapping it! I have done that before.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    So what happened? Did you get your car back?
    Not yet, they have to install the correct (not misaligned) axle yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Could be. But it is also possible that the tech took out the old axle and accidentally put it right back in instead of swapping it! I have done that before.
    Actually they did install a brand new axle and it looked like the old one. I saw it in a visit and even had the factory labels still. Besides that, the service guy gave ambiguous and conflicting answers to my insistent inquiries about the alignment readings. That's why I suspect that the real problem was wrong alignment again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I find it extremely crazy that Mitsubishi has no fix for axles that aren't made straight!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    I find it extremely crazy that Mitsubishi has no fix for axles that aren't made straight!
    I'll bet 2017 will have shimmable/removable hubs. Quick and easy solution: don't weld/bolt on

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just noticed this today. My right rear tire shows slightly more wear than the left rear tire. These tires have about 18,000 miles on them, and currently have been in their current location for about 6,000 miles since the last rotation. Is this what you guys have seen that have had rear wheel alignment problems or has it been a lot worse? Note: These are not the stock tires.

Left rear;

Right rear;
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    From the way the shadows are falling, they look to be cupping slightly, so it looks to be alignment wear.

But I recently found a problem with my setup. My chain is rated for 520 lbs, the turnbuckle at 320, and I think the buckles I used to attach the chain to the turnbuckle and spring perches were around 250. Apparently, that wasn't strong enough, and they bent pretty bad on me. Just installed some beefier buckles today, rated at 1400 lbs I believe, which is definitely more than I need, but hopefully it'll hold better now. Seems like when one tire goes over a bump, it changes the distance between the spring perches, so it stretched the parts beyond their capacity. The current weakest link is the turnbuckle now.

Bad news is while resetting my front alignment since my steering wheel was a hair off, my hand slipped off my wrench and hit something, causing whatever I hit to fillet my thumb open right at the base joint. Should probably have gone to get a few stitches on it, but I was doing unauthorized repairs to my own car at work, so I picked up some butterflies to hold it closed. Good thing I also know first aid!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (10-04-2015)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    @ woolfie post above. Torsion beam wheel hubs will move in relation to each other. The whole axle is designed to flex and work as sway bar.

I am curious if the force was strong enough to bend nuckles it was strong enough to realign axle, have you checked it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    From the way the shadows are falling, they look to be cupping slightly, so it looks to be alignment wear.

But I recently found a problem with my setup. My chain is rated for 520 lbs, the turnbuckle at 320, and I think the buckles I used to attach the chain to the turnbuckle and spring perches were around 250. Apparently, that wasn't strong enough, and they bent pretty bad on me. Just installed some beefier buckles today, rated at 1400 lbs I believe, which is definitely more than I need, but hopefully it'll hold better now. Seems like when one tire goes over a bump, it changes the distance between the spring perches, so it stretched the parts beyond their capacity. The current weakest link is the turnbuckle now.

Bad news is while resetting my front alignment since my steering wheel was a hair off, my hand slipped off my wrench and hit something, causing whatever I hit to fillet my thumb open right at the base joint. Should probably have gone to get a few stitches on it, but I was doing unauthorized repairs to my own car at work, so I picked up some butterflies to hold it closed. Good thing I also know first aid!

I was thinking along the same lines, and it appears as though there is more tire wear on the outside of the right tire.

I too have hurt myself while working on a vehicle, but I broke my finger when a wrench slipped. So I took off my titanium wedding ring and kept on working. 2 hours later the car was fixed and I drove it to the doctor's office on it's first maiden test drive.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (10-05-2015),Don (10-05-2015)