View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 46 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    8100 miles on mine, waiting for another axle, with my rig working fine. Rear tires all measure just under 8/32nds. fronts all at 7/32nds.

This is how tires SHOULD wear on a FWD vehicle with proper alignment. Tires should last close to 50k miles, maybe even longer since they wear slower when they are half worn out since they run cooler and I have the extra set of ensaves I got from cyclopathic.

Those alignment specs look great to me R01k, but I understand the double check. After that get a decent tread depth gauge and watch the wear patterns.

I'll probably rotate mine at somewhere around 25k.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    8100 miles on mine, waiting for another axle, with my rig working fine. Rear tires all measure just under 8/32nds. fronts all at 7/32nds.

This is how tires SHOULD wear on a FWD vehicle with proper alignment. Tires should last close to 50k miles, maybe even longer since they wear slower when they are half worn out since they run cooler and I have the extra set of ensaves I got from cyclopathic.

Those alignment specs look great to me R01k, but I understand the double check. After that get a decent tread depth gauge and watch the wear patterns.

I'll probably rotate mine at somewhere around 25k.

regards
    mech
    I;ve always used a rule of thumb that on FWD you get x2 miles out of the tire in the back comparing to front. So I'd run OEM tires while the fronts are bold, then replace them. When the rears are bold get new fronts and move fronts to rear. No unnecessary rotations and at least 2 good tires on driving/steering wheels.

Worked for my lazy ass as long as the tires the same and you didn't had a sidewall puncture to throw rotation off.

I am utterly disappointed that the only LRR tire we can get is Enasave. There are none even if you go to more common size like 185/60R14. At least we have one performance tire in size to fit OEM rims: BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S 185/60R14 can be purchased for less then $80 at TireRack :/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    I;ve always used a rule of thumb that on FWD you get x2 miles out of the tire in the back comparing to front. So I'd run OEM tires while the fronts are bold, then replace them. When the rears are bold get new fronts and move fronts to rear. No unnecessary rotations and at least 2 good tires on driving/steering wheels.

Worked for my lazy ass as long as the tires the same and you didn't had a sidewall puncture to throw rotation off.

I am utterly disappointed that the only LRR tire we can get is Enasave. There are none even if you go to more common size like 185/60R14. At least we have one performance tire in size to fit OEM rims: BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S 185/60R14 can be purchased for less then $80 at TireRack :/
    The 165/65-R14 Bridgestone Potenza is LRR, right?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...zip-code=98501

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have been rotating my tires at every oil change which is every 5,000 miles. I think this is the reason why I have gotten almost 20,000 miles out of these tires without massive wear being shown on the right rear.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The 165/65-R14 Bridgestone Potenza is LRR, right?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...zip-code=98501
    Yes they are

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

And they're excellent in terms of rolling resistance.

Testing rolling resistance of the Various Tires of the Suzukiclone Fleet (RE92 wins)

I would love to know how the Enasaves compare head to head.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-10-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    And they're excellent in terms of rolling resistance.

Testing rolling resistance of the Various Tires of the Suzukiclone Fleet (RE92 wins)

I would love to know how the Enasaves compare head to head.
    Would be interesting to see, but it should be good. We almost saw 8-12% MPG loss when switched to RT43. They feel as good or better than GoodYear FuelMax, but not as good as Michelin Energy Savers. Sadly Michelin doesn't make/sell ES in R14 size in US, and they discontinued it except for the sizes in which it came OEM on some cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    I usually wait until the rear is 2/3 and the front is 1/2 worn. Probably about 25-30k miles.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's a good reminder to rotate your tires at every oil change. That way you can just keep one schedule for basic services and not have to remember to do it separately. It's ideal to have all 4 tires wear evenly then replace them with another set of 4, since having two new and two used will give you unbalanced traction. Don't even get me started on the whole "you must install new tires on the rear" BS for a nose-heavy FWD.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    It's a good reminder to rotate your tires at every oil change. That way you can just keep one schedule for basic services and not have to remember to do it separately. It's ideal to have all 4 tires wear evenly then replace them with another set of 4, since having two new and two used will give you unbalanced traction. Don't even get me started on the whole "you must install new tires on the rear" BS for a nose-heavy FWD.
    I'm glad to see someone else fed up with the BS of put the new tires on the back.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.