View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 50 of 110 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here it is with the U bolts that ended up snapping.
    Name:  150801_0000.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  47.5 KB
    Name:  150801_0001.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  41.3 KB

I don't have pictures of the new version.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-16-2015),laceygirl (10-16-2015),Minihaha (12-05-2015),mpaton (10-16-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We need to get one of you guys to do a parts list with numbers of what to buy and detailed instructions for how to set it up, I rather fix it myself then fight my dealership.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't even think about using old tie rods, that's not a bad idea at all. My first setup bent buckles rated somewhere in the 220lb SWL range, and I replaced them with 1200lb ones. The turnbuckle itself is rated a bit over 300 lbs. It definitely would be subject to sudden increases in tension, as one side going over a bump would change the distance between spring perches, but it hasn't shown any issues yet, and I might toss it back up on the alignment rack Tuesday to give it a quick check.

My axle replacement did bring the toe back into spec at stock height, but with 0.7 degrees of cross camber, with the left side being more negative (road crown would require right side having more neg). After dropping it on the H&R springs, toe-in was quite excessive at 3-4 tenths on each side, but I've brought it back to 0 (or close) with the turnbuckle setup. I've had to abandon my rear diffuser, but the gains in MPGs from the correct alignment far outweigh any benefits the diffuser gave.

Update: Even after running on bumpy roads, my rig still shows the rear toe perfect. The beefier buckles definitely helped.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Cani Lupine; 11-02-2015 at 12:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

Minihaha (12-05-2015)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update.

Today was my appointment to get the rear axle replaced in my car which was supposed to take 4 hours (3 hours to replace, then time to check the alignment and move it around from one bay to another in the shop). I dropped it off at 8:30 am. At 4:00 pm I get a phone call letting me know that I can come and pick up the car, but it is not finished yet. Huh?

So I get to the dealership and a service adviser let's me know what is going on. The new axle was also out of alignment once they got it on the alignment rack. So the dealership contacted Mitsubishi to find out what to do next. They were told that the car needs to go to a body shop (this is a small dealership and it does not have a body shop) to check the alignment of the car and to see if any tweeking can be done to get the alignment back into specs.

The service guy I talked to was not the one handling my case as he had already gone home for the day and very few people were still there (at 5:30 pm and the service department closes at 6 pm). So I was not able to get exact specifics as to what exactly was out of alignment, just that it still was. So unless Mitsubishi can provide me a loaner car, I will be dropping the car off the week of Thanksgiving to have it sent to a body shop to be checked out and/or fixed.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I like your pic CANI. that's the sort of thing that I would take in to a mechanic and ask them to do for me.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I am wondering if 2017 will have adjustable axle and it will fit on 2014-15.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    Update.

Today was my appointment to get the rear axle replaced in my car which was supposed to take 4 hours (3 hours to replace, then time to check the alignment and move it around from one bay to another in the shop). I dropped it off at 8:30 am. At 4:00 pm I get a phone call letting me know that I can come and pick up the car, but it is not finished yet. Huh?

So I get to the dealership and a service adviser let's me know what is going on. The new axle was also out of alignment once they got it on the alignment rack. So the dealership contacted Mitsubishi to find out what to do next. They were told that the car needs to go to a body shop (this is a small dealership and it does not have a body shop) to check the alignment of the car and to see if any tweeking can be done to get the alignment back into specs.

The service guy I talked to was not the one handling my case as he had already gone home for the day and very few people were still there (at 5:30 pm and the service department closes at 6 pm). So I was not able to get exact specifics as to what exactly was out of alignment, just that it still was. So unless Mitsubishi can provide me a loaner car, I will be dropping the car off the week of Thanksgiving to have it sent to a body shop to be checked out and/or fixed.
    Well...at least they are TRYING.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Well...at least they are TRYING.

Exactly. I told them that I would be updating this thread with what was going on and if they can use my car to find a fix to this then I am all for it. I just need transportation in the mean time to be able to get to and from work.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There's a bunch of old Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees in the junkyard - those would have a tierod that would work perfect for this.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Hi guys. I'm in Perth Western Australia. I've been reading everyone's posts about the suspension problem with the Mirage. I have the sedan version, which I've noticed that the more I drive it the worse it gets! I've taken it back to the dealer 3 times now, and all I get from the guy is "we done a wheel alignment and checked the sensors and it all seems fine. Now I've noticed the car floats while driving at high speeds, steering doesn't self center if I turn the steering wheel slightly left or right, let go of the steering wheel and the car keeps going in the direction on a slow curve, if that makes sense! Now I'm pissed and I'm taking action cause this is not right. We pay good money for a new car and then to find out it's a lemon. So my next plan of attack is to get all four wheels checked at a neutral tyre place, get a printout of the alignments off all four wheels , take it back to the dealer and ask them to clarify they're bull****! Thanks for reading this and I'll inform everyone of my progress.