View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 52 of 110 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just got a call from my local Mitsubishi dealer. The guy told me that my next appointment to come drop my car off so they can have a body shop look at it has been canceled. He told me that Mitsubishi is working on a permenent fix (hopefully a new rear axle with alignment adjustment built in to it) and they will call me back when Mitsubishi has that fix available for all.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-17-2015),El Kapitan (11-17-2015),fifteenwindow (11-18-2015),wellswebdesign (11-17-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To me, that sounds like a, "stop bugging us about the defective car we sold you" type of call.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    To me, that sounds like a, "stop bugging us about the defective car we sold you" type of call.
    OR "2017 model will have hubs shimmable, but we can't tell anything about it yet".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    He told me that Mitsubishi is working on a permenent fix (hopefully a new rear axle with alignment adjustment built in to it) and they will call me back when Mitsubishi has that fix available for all.
    That's what they told me. But I didn't want to wait. God knows when is that coming.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    just keep on top of them if a serious amount of time passes without the call back.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    That's what they told me. But I didn't want to wait. God knows when is that coming.
    Ask them who's gonna eat tire wear while you wait.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    I went in Home Depot today and they had 5/16 galvanized steel rod for a few bucks in a 3 foot length. Also need a 5/16th turnbuckle. My turnbuckle is 9 inches in length. The right side rod is 27.5 inches, left side is 2.5 inches. Each rod has a hook on each end that is not included in the listed lengths, each hook requiring about 1.5 inches in rod length in addition to the listed 27.5 and 2.5 inches. 1@36 inch rod should barely do it with nothing left over.

When you get the parts assembled and everything hooked up, the turnbuckle is staggered to the left side and the position of each end on the lower spring perch allows clearance to the evaporative emissions unit handing under the spare tire well.

To compensate for cross toe, move one end links location nearer the rear of the lower spring perch on the side needing more toe out correction.

I might just go back to the local alignment shop and see if I can get the toe to hold 0 degrees with a come-along and get rid of the rods and turnbuckle permanently.

Tire wear is perfect. At 10k miles the fronts are down 1/32 inch, rears are slightly more than half that. That means the fronts will go 60k to the wear bars, rears even longer. I'll probably rotate them at 20k miles when the fronts should be at 6/32 and rears at 7/32 inch (new is 8/32nd).

When I tweaked the left stub axle, I did not remove the toe compensation rod assembly. Floor jack under the spring perch, pop off the wheel and the axle nut, pull the drum-hub assembly off, slide the pipe over the axle and stand on the other end of the pipe. That cut the right side from -2.1 down to -.7. Left side was 1.7, maybe we'll see what the left side camber is if I go back to an alignment shop.
    -.3 to-.4 would be just about perfect.

regards
    mech
    Last edited by deleted user; 11-18-2015 at 12:17 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Ask them who's gonna eat tire wear while you wait.

This is what I am most concerned about right now since I do not have factory tires on my car due to a damaged factory tire and no tires were available at the time in the factory size unless I waited for almost a week and paid around $150.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    I went in Home Depot today and they had 5/16 galvanized steel rod for a few bucks in a 3 foot length. Also need a 5/16th turnbuckle. My turnbuckle is 9 inches in length. The right side rod is 27.5 inches, left side is 2.5 inches. Each rod has a hook on each end that is not included in the listed lengths, each hook requiring about 1.5 inches in rod length in addition to the listed 27.5 and 2.5 inches. 1@36 inch rod should barely do it with nothing left over.

When you get the parts assembled and everything hooked up, the turnbuckle is staggered to the left side and the position of each end on the lower spring perch allows clearance to the evaporative emissions unit handing under the spare tire well.

To compensate for cross toe, move one end links location nearer the rear of the lower spring perch on the side needing more toe out correction.

I might just go back to the local alignment shop and see if I can get the toe to hold 0 degrees with a come-along and get rid of the rods and turnbuckle permanently.

Tire wear is perfect. At 10k miles the fronts are down 1/32 inch, rears are slightly more than half that. That means the fronts will go 60k to the wear bars, rears even longer. I'll probably rotate them at 20k miles when the fronts should be at 6/32 and rears at 7/32 inch (new is 8/32nd).

When I tweaked the left stub axle, I did not remove the toe compensation rod assembly. Floor jack under the spring perch, pop off the wheel and the axle nut, pull the drum-hub assembly off, slide the pipe over the axle and stand on the other end of the pipe. That cut the right side from -2.1 down to -.7. Left side was 1.7, maybe we'll see what the left side camber is if I go back to an alignment shop.
    -.3 to-.4 would be just about perfect.

regards
    mech
    quick question: in your professional opinion how much of this due to axle and how much of it due to mounting point misalignment?

Thanks
    Mounting point misalignment, which is supposed to be kept to a 1 millimeter tolerance when the chassis is welded together, will affect cross toe, ALL OTHERS FACTORS KNOWN CORRECT. After that it is in the axle and it could be built wrong or damaged in shipment.

Cross-excess camber is always the axle as is camber out of specs. Total toe is in the axle, although both excess camber and toe could be tie down created.

The question still remains, was the vehicle damaged in shipment by being tied down to tightly, did they pull it down until they saw the camber increasing and not stop immediately?

Did they not weld the axle together in a jig where alignment would be maintained as the welds cooled and things shrunk.

I don't know which is the case and apparently Mitsu does not see the benefit in being up front with their customers, which is short sighted foolishness.

If I finish tweaking mine and it will stay there, then that is a solution, but that is after the fact and when you bend something to far and then bend it back you are in real trouble with metal fatigue, which is probably why they don't want to go in that direction.

Product liability puts them in a tough spot. I figure if they can't fix it then for me. It's worth a try and so far everything is behaving exactly like I expected.

You have to go to far to get it to hold the lesser position, the real challenge is how much and not a single bit more.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (11-18-2015)