View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 53 of 110 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here is #18 mirage that I personally see on the alignment machine.
    ( did not bother posting #17 which was almost within specs for the first time but that was defective too)
    Name:  151120_0001.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  81.4 KB

I am still at 100 % failure rate personally seeing 2014 and 2015 mirage rear axle alignments.
    Again love the car but mitsubishi corporate is a piece of turd for denying and handling this one defect !
    Once you are out of the 12/12 adjustment period you are done,they wash their hands.
    Guess what? Unless you take your brand new car for an alignment check,the tire wear will not show up untill you are out of 12/12.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

deleted user (11-21-2015)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I saved my tires by following your advice 3dplane. At 10k I have 1/32 front wear (out of 6/32 to wear blocks) and about HALF that on the rear (every tread the same running 45+ psi pressure). I find it hard now to really get close to the limits of the cornering ability. I had my alignment checked at 5k miles and documented at the dealership. They told me Mitsubishi would get in touch when they had a solution but the issue they documented was cross camber, not total toe like the specs you posted on your latest post on this thread.

Your posts are greatly appreciated and I might not have bought my Mirage without your input. I have tweaked the camber on both rear axle stubs to about -.5-7. I think the next step will be a comealong to get the toe to hold position without my rods and turnbuckle, done on the alignment rack with gauges set to check progress.

My total toe was no where near as bad as those specs. In fact I think it was less that .40, but I like it a heck of a lot better at 0.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    in this day and age... to overlook such a huge design flaw... sigh.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    I saved my tires by following your advice 3dplane. At 10k I have 1/32 front wear (out of 6/32 to wear blocks) and about HALF that on the rear (every tread the same running 45+ psi pressure). I find it hard now to really get close to the limits of the cornering ability. I had my alignment checked at 5k miles and documented at the dealership. They told me Mitsubishi would get in touch when they had a solution but the issue they documented was cross camber, not total toe like the specs you posted on your latest post on this thread.

Your posts are greatly appreciated and I might not have bought my Mirage without your input. I have tweaked the camber on both rear axle stubs to about -.5-7. I think the next step will be a comealong to get the toe to hold position without my rods and turnbuckle, done on the alignment rack with gauges set to check progress.

My total toe was no where near as bad as those specs. In fact I think it was less that .40, but I like it a heck of a lot better at 0.

regards
    mech
    Thanks old mech! I too want to get rid of my rig. The tremendous pressure it has to hold,makes it break periodically.

First it was the 3/8 allthread snapped then the flat stock I replaced it with snapped,now it has the flat stock doubled up around the corners and it seems to hold but it creaks with suspension movement,it is ugly looking from behind the car and I'm pretty sure it is considerable amount of under body airflow drag suspended accross so low.

I discovered on the alignment rack that the axle beam as the whole unit being spring steel will not bend permanently. Tension released will go right back where it was. (almost a total degree in my case). So the only hope I have to do a permanent adjustment is using your technique relying on the stub axle hopefully being softer steel allowing for a tweak.

I need to pull the rear hub off and measure the diameter of the stub axle so I can make a beefy enough pipe to do the trick.

By the way where would one obtain a thick walled steel pipe? Any of the home improvement stores maybe?

Or like your first suggestion from a while back (strong pipe still needed) get a steel rim,weld the pipe to it with reinforcment gussets bolt it on in place of the wheel and give it hell that way.

I am beyond worrying about ruining the axle! It is ruined from factory and they do not care about doing anything about it anyway so screw it. I don't want to carry the rig under there anymore.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    I am pretty sure the nut is 1.25 inch (socket size). probably 30mm. My pipe is aluminum and 6 feet long. I would get at least 1 inch diameter (inside) pipe. The stub axle is only about 6 inches long. I put enough force on mine (200 pounds) to equal 2400 pounds of force on the axle (10 to 1 leverage). Your specs are a lot worse than mine so I doubt aluminum would be strong enough for your axle. I wallowed the end of my pipe out fixing mine.

I picked up a comealong yesterday at a yard sale for $2. Since my tension rod gives me a measurement of the correct toe. I might try to get it to hold that position, but I will have to pull it much further together to get it to stay there.

Even leaf springs can be re-arched.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

3dplane (11-25-2015)

Thanks
    Pop the hub cap off with your hands. Take a hammer and chisel to get the steel cap over the nut off, gently, no need to dent it.

Measure the diameter of the shaft where it extends past the nut, without taking the nut off. I just used a power handle and the same pipe to break the nut loose, making a mental note of the force required to break it loose then applying the same force when re-tightening.

regards
    mech

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kapitan View Post
    in this day and age... to overlook such a huge design flaw... sigh.
    Lots of other manufacturers have gone to welded rear axles to save a couple bucks. And lots of other cars have this same problem.

Not an excuse, per se, but it isn't just Mitsubishi or the Mirage. I believe the vaunted, fawned-over-by-auto-journalists, Honda Fit had this same problem a few years ago.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    good to know. I used to own a couple FITS, and was not familiar with that issue. I didn't own either of them long enough to see any messed up tire wear. my back couldn't handle the seats and the door panelling on them started to fall apart almost right away (from my elbow).

some cost cutting measures are best left on the table I suppose.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Has anyone considered alternative adjustment procedures or equipment?

1. So far we have a turnbuckle.
    2. Yesterday I spotted a chain fall hoist and thought that would work better.
    3. Someone else mentioned a come-along.
    4. Don't forget Old Mech's pipe lever.

I think I like a chain fall the most for more control over the cold-set process.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was concerned about this apparently common problem, so I went to a tire and alignment shop locally and paid the $30 to have mine checked on the machine (it is a 3 hour round trip to dealer). Mine may be one of the few in spec for the most part. I am not too concerned with the out of spec camber as I don't believe it to be a terrible wear angle (please correct me if I am wrong).Name:  20151128_121300.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  93.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)