View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 55 of 110 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Take a tape measure and measure the toe of the rear axle.

Same groove in both rear tires, front and back of each tire, as high as you can without hitting anything with the tape, same height front and rear.

The difference is your toe in, less distance in front versus the back of the tire.

/\ That is toe in, you want ||, that is 0 toe in and that is what MINE measures. I get it by applying tension to the rear of the lower spring perches with two steel rods and a turnbuckle. The left (drivers) side rod is short, right is much longer.

I'll get some photos.

Next step for me is to use a come-along to make the toe permanent and eliminate the tension rods and turnbuckle.

I have straightened a gun barrel and shot the gun, an ancient Martini in .303 Brit.

The axle is (according to member 3dplane) spring steel and it does not like to bend requiring much more bend that you would think to hold the desired different shape.

regards
    mech

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by deleted user; 12-01-2015 at 04:13 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (12-02-2015)

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post

Same groove in both rear tires, front and back of each tire, as high as you can without hitting anything with the tape, same height front and rear.

The difference is your toe in, less distance in front versus the back of the tire.

/\ That is toe in, you want ||, that is 0 toe in and that is what MINE measures. I get it by applying tension to the rear of the lower spring perches with two steel rods and a turnbuckle. The left (drivers) side rod is short, right is much longer.

I'll get some photos.

Next step for me is to use a come-along to make the toe permanent and eliminate the tension rods and turnbuckle.

I'll get you a photo.

I have straightened a gun barrel and shot the gun, an ancient Martini in .303 Brit.

The axle is (according to member 3dplane) spring steel and it does not like to bend requiring much more bend that you would think to hod the desired different shape.

regards
    mech
    What's the purpose of having one shorter than the other old mech.?

I'll have to take a look under the car when I get back to see what I could reasonably do myself. If what I hear is correct, For any amount of correction I'd need a tie-rod or steel cable capable of withstanding constant loads around ~3-400 Lbs with shock loads around ~700 Lbs (bumps).

I don't even know if I could ratchet a cable between the perches tight enough to have any effect. No good tools, etc. Just plain old wrenches for me...

I have my appointment with the dealer in an hour. Let's see what it truly is before I have my freak out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    So it won't hit the evap emissions component that is in the middle under the spare tire.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRagland View Post
    What's the purpose of having one shorter than the other old mech.?

I'll have to take a look under the car when I get back to see what I could reasonably do myself. If what I hear is correct, For any amount of correction I'd need a tie-rod or steel cable capable of withstanding constant loads around ~3-400 Lbs with shock loads around ~700 Lbs (bumps).

I don't even know if I could ratchet a cable between the perches tight enough to have any effect. No good tools, etc. Just plain old wrenches for me...

I have my appointment with the dealer in an hour. Let's see what it truly is before I have my freak out.
    So my car just got off the rack. Right rear is so bad that the guy who came to tell me looked scared s#&#less when he told me they can't just shim it...

They think the axle has more than just a bad alignment. They told me they'd do whatever it takes to have it corrected. Hoping for the best...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BRagland For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-01-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    So my car just got off the rack. Right rear is so bad that the guy who came to tell me looked scared s#&#less when he told me they can't just shim it...

They think the axle has more than just a bad alignment. They told me they'd do whatever it takes to have it corrected. Hoping for the best...
    Let everyone know what the remedy they propose will be.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Let everyone know what the remedy they propose will be.
    Probably the same than with most of us: Replace the axle for one out of specs too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I just purchased my Mirage about a week ago...

The steering wheel is not centered at any speed, but does not change with speed. I have to turn the steering wheel slightly left to drive straight, and the amount I have to keep it left is the same at any speed. I'd say the steering wheel is about 2-3 degrees left of center...

I have scheduled an appointment with the dealership, with a complaint of "Steering Wheel Not Centered"

Should I be concerned? Is the steering wheel being a bit off of center a sign of bad rear wheel alignment?
    Yes, that's how I found out about the issue in my car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well the dealership is going to replace the axle. No fuss about it. They were actually super kind about the whole thing. Service Manager said he was not pleased with the axle one bit and called his Regional Mitsubishi Rep. New axle for me. Should take 1-2 weeks for it to come in, and then they'll install.

I asked about the what-if the replacement is also out of spec. Service Manager said they'd install it, check the alignment, and if the new one is out too, they'll order a second if Mitsubishi will let them.

Here are my numbers (I saw the machine's screen myself, but no print-out, will post picture of screen when I get chance):

All front specs were dead in the middle correct.

LR:
    Toe: 0.41
    Camber: -1.4

RR:
    Toe: 0.44
    Camber: -3.0

He was most worried about that camber be twice the spec...
    Last edited by BRagland; 12-01-2015 at 08:23 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    welcome to the club sir. sorry to have to welcome you to it. :/
    2014 White SE with CVT

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post

I'll get some photos.

The axle is (according to member 3dplane) spring steel and it does not like to bend requiring much more bend that you would think to hold the desired different shape.

regards
    mech
    How much tension did you have to create with that turnbuckle to get to near 0 toe?