View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 81 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    ...the dealership told me it was fine.
    Your printout is missing this "minor" detail which explains any values in red. Here's the note that's supposed to be on the bottom of that page...

Name:  warning.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  48.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The bottom of the print out does have that. The top says the place that did the inspection. The dealership I went to didn't give me any print outs for anything they supposedly checked.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Every red number on that sheet means the value is out of the acceptable range of settings for your Mirage.

Looking at your printout, you can see that your toe readings for both the front AND rear wheels are out of specifications. In other words, all 4 wheels of your car are not properly aligned right now. This is not OK regardless of what you were told.

The good news is that your front toe problem can be easily corrected by any alignment shop in a few minutes.

The bad news is that your rear toe problem can't be corrected because there are no adjustments to make. Your rear axle is one solid piece of metal. Unless you replace it or bend it, your rear toe settings are not going to change.

You might want to read every post in this thread if you haven't already. In the meantime, I would at least get your front wheels aligned so you don't mess up your new tires.

Name:  toe.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  27.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have an appointment for Tuesday morning with Marietta Mitsubishi instead of the one I went to last week. I told them I took the car elsewhere to have the alignment checked and when they saw the rear axle said to take it straight to the dealer. I haven't told MM I know about the known issue or this forum. However I will be printing pages to take with me. And will expect to see printouts that have correct alignment specs on them versus being adjusted so it produces a fake positive.
    I'm not too hopeful as their website would only allow me to schedule a front wheel alignment, I had to call in and tell them I want all 4 wheels done. It looks like they also plan on having me pay for it at $99 I was planning on just dropping the car off since I have the Miata to drive but I am thinking I may want to sit there so I can harass them while it is there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You might get them to eventually replace the axle. Hopefully the replacement is within specs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Remy... I would take the car in and give the Service Advisor a copy of your alignment printout. Tell them your old rear tires had strange wear patterns before you replaced them (I'm fudging it here because we can only guess what your original tires were like or how many miles they lasted). The goal is that you want the Service Advisor to put something on your work order like "Customer states rear tires wearing fast". You're trying to build a logical paper trail that you might need to present to Mitsubishi if it gets to that point.

Be careful about harassing the Service Advisor on your first visit. Don't go in with guns blazing demanding a new axle...and don't throw a stack of printouts from an internet site at him (yet). You might want this guy on your side to engage Mitsubishi Tech Support, especially if this is the first Mirage axle problem they have seen. Give the dealer a chance to do something before you hack them off. Not all dealers are bad...but you may need to "help" them along during this process.

Some useful info you can print out are actual copies of work orders peole have posted here where it states that a new axle is being installed to correct the problem. The dealer may try to blow you off, but stay firm on resolving the bad rear alignment. Maybe even suggest that they call Mitsubishi for a recommendation on resolving the problem.

If you have to, you may have to call Mitsubishi yourself, like some people here have done. By now the corporate Mitsu tech support guys must be aware of the issue, even if your dealer may be completely unaware.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-28-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh no. My idea of harassing them involves being super friendly. I usually bring in a dozen donuts, make polite small talk with people and generally just act like a really nice guy. I do bring a folder full of paperwork as I'm one of those guys with car maintenance. I want to impress upon them that I'm just looking to get things taken care of since I know "nothing" about cars other than what I can read back to them from other receipts. I give them copies of previous work done and offer to pay for printouts for any previous records they may have access to. You know, just to keep it all together with the car. I also tip well.
    I sold cars for many years which taught me that having the mechanics on your side always helps. Ones that are appreciated and flattered over their vast skills tend to due a little extra and charge a little less.
    Should they instead try and put one over on me I have no problem innocently asking why the figures for in tolerance are different. It's why I'm printing a few of these posts to make sure I have what the specs at Mitsubishi dealers should be not just the other shops numbers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    It's why I'm printing a few of these posts to make sure I have what the specs at Mitsubishi dealers should be not just the other shops numbers.
    Remy, I found the following info in the 2015 service manual.

Suspension Specifications 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage
    Front Toe-in At the center of tire tread mm (in) 0 ± 3 (0.0 ± 0.1)
    Front Camber 0°05' ± 0°45' *
    Front Caster 4°00' ± 0°45'
    Front Kingpin inclination 11°35' ± 1°30'
    Rear Toe-in At the center of tire tread mm (in) 2.5 ± 3 (0.10 ± 0.12)
    Camber -1°00' ± 0°45' *
    NOTE: *: Difference between right and left wheels must be 0°30' or less.

Mitsubishi lists their specifications for toe in distance rather than degrees. I'm not sure how to calculate the conversion. I bring this up because your alignment results are presented in degrees.

Good luck. Looking forward to reading your updates.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well this is as good as they could get it. And flat told me there was no other adjustments to perform in the rear. Of course their printer was working but the service write took a picture that he printed out for me. I'll make a few more complaints about it not feeling right and take it back in another week or so.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  88.5 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I finally took my Mirage to the dealer for her oil change today, and I also wanted them to check the alignment. All they did to check my alignment was check tread wear, which is all between 7/32 and 9/32nds. My car has about 3,600 miles on it. I don't think I have enough miles to prove significant wear issues, but if something is wrong, I want it figured out while the alignment is still under warranty. Is there any way to get an actual alignment check, for free?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)