View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 90 of 110 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Thanks for posting that update.

It seems crazy that only 28 people have voted on this poll after 800+ posts and 140,000 views?!? There must be a lot of Mirage owners whose cars have never seen an alignment rack.
    Of the 28, 12 responded that their axle was tested and in specs
    My tires show absolutely no signs of abnormal wear and my car steers fine,
    No reason to have the alignment checked
    Nowhere on the poll is there a place for me and 1000s like me to respond

2. The Following User Says Thank You to poorman1 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman1 View Post
    That's a very good point. Can the survey be modified, MetroMPG? I must say that my rear axle was just outside of specs and it wasn't due to toe misalignment.

Maybe the misalignment is being blown out of proportion?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Well, the thread title does imply the poll is for people who have alignment problems.

But I suppose I could add another couple of options:

- No apparent tire wear (have not had alignment checked)
    - Alignment checked and original suspension within specs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman1 View Post
    True! Metro MPG could add "I have no reason to have my alignment checked based on my tire wear and handling/drivability"!

However if your case is so good, could you add the miles driven and tread depth measurement to go with it?
    I continue to see a lot of owners not giving a damn about their mirage and just driving the snot out of them with their tires gone at low mileage (less than 20K miles) chucking it up to sh!t tires!

Based on my personal small sample of about 30 mirages checked on the alignment machine and finding zero within specifications I find "1000s" of others with good rear axles highly unlikely. Unless somehow all the bad ones end up in my neck of the woods. (2014s,2015s and the one 2017 I bothered to test)

I got 56K out of my original tires with a homemade contraption trying to hold my garbage rear end close to an acceptable geometry before I got my rear end "straightened" out with an acetylene torch and brute force!

Mitsubishi is getting away with this because 98% of owners that I see ( i work at a dealer) does not give a rats arse about their maintenance as long as the car drives when they turn the key or push the button!

I wish I did not have to switch phones! I would show some mirage rim pictures I took with multiple bends in a single rim and no complaint about vibration or the steel wires sticking out of the tires and "no thank you I am not interested in tires because it's not free" is what the typical response is when you point out the danger.

There is one (2015) mirge in our parking lot with a left rear tire so separated that the bulge barely fits through the fender well,it blew the L/R shock out because the moron keeps driving it like that and they are coming to pick the car up NOT fixing the tire!!! Because it still drives when you turn the key!! So why would you put tires on it?

I am sick of people like that! Police should take the licence plate off that car on the spot when driven on public roads! But this is Florida where you can put an engine on a wheel barrow,jack it up 12 inches,put HID lights in the factory lamp housing to blind everybody,replace the exhaust with megaphones but as long as you have a VIN number you can get a tag for it and drive it on the road....

Just venting here,sorry about that!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Maybe the misalignment is being blown out of proportion?
    I have been working on a summary of this thread for a couple of days, so that people can read a single post in 5 minutes and get a complete understanding of the issue. There's a lot of good info here...but it's completely buried in 90 pages and 900 posts!

I have spent multiple hours reading through this thread start to finish...and man my head hurts. I have collected all of the alignment printouts people have posted and put the data in a tabular form. I hope to get everything posted by the weekend.

Is the rear axle problem blown out of proportion? After looking at the data, I'm thinking the issue could be a lot more common than we realize.

Consider the anecdotal evidence buried in this thread...

1. There have been ongoing complaints about Mirages with premature tire wear, unstable steering, off-center steering wheels, and lower than expected fuel mileage. All of these are potential symptoms of rear alignment problems.
    2. Of the 30 alignment checks posted in this thread, 90% had rear alignment problems.
    3. Forum member 3dplane (a Mitsubishi technician) is seeing a 100% failure rate on Mirage rear alignment checks at his dealership…and that includes more than 30 cars!!!
    4. Of all the alignment checks posted in this thread, only ONE Mirage had an acceptable rear and front alignment from the factory.
    5. One 2017 has been on an alignment rack...and it failed a rear alignment check.

In my opinion, anybody who has a Mirage that has never had an alignment check is crazy.

I'm on the same page with 3dplane!

Stay tuned...
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-19-2017 at 02:24 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-02-2018),3dplane (01-19-2017),MetroMPG (01-19-2017),R01k (01-19-2017),RodeRoNL (01-25-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    I am sick of people like that! Police should take the licence plate off that car on the spot when driven on public roads! But this is Florida where you can put an engine on a wheel barrow,jack it up 12 inches,put HID lights in the factory lamp housing to blind everybody,replace the exhaust with megaphones but as long as you have a VIN number you can get a tag for it and drive it on the road...!
    don't get me started on the HID without proper projection thing. it's better up here than it was a few years ago but there are still many vehicles that create a serious hazard for other drivers, especially during these early winter nights.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Top_Fuel - make sure to get my attention when you have the summary done. I'll add it to post #1 in this thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-19-2017),Top_Fuel (01-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comment (after all these months) and the welcome! Garage entry made! I'll have to go get a 3rd-party alignment done one of these days, but it seems to be driving very smoothly in the 6000 miles I've had it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In the months since I posted, sounds like the design wasn't replaced. The new updates from Mitsubishi (via MetroMGP) sound promising though!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You are welcome. Thank you for the reply. I agree that it's too bad most buyers aren't aware of the problem, but at least this forum has helped many of us be aware of it. Thanks for following up with Mitsubishi. It's nice to hear some acknowledgment from them about this issue.