View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 92 of 110 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see what they can do.
    Good luck. Keep us posted. Remember MMNA says coverage for this falls under 5 year/60,000 mile warranty coverage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    That's an interesting alignment printout...

Name:  align.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  27.8 KB

I'm not sure we've see one that just has "total toe" for the rear but it doesn't show you the left and right toe readings. Either way, you have a problem and it's really taking a toll on your rear tires. I'm assuming you have never rotated your tires before?

Good luck and let us know what happens. Post your actual rear alignment numbers if you can get the printout from your dealer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I rotated them once at 7.5k miles and replaced them with snows at 15k. The "original" rear tire doesn't look so bad since I moved it up front.

My dealer doesn't do alignments in-house but since I brought them my printout and showed them the tires, I guess they didn't need to send it out to confirm the obvious. It took a little convincing and a phone call but sure enough I'll be getting a new rear axle sometime in the next week or two.

Thanks to everyone ahead of me who made this process easier. I would recommend anyone who thinks their alignment is off to get it checked for free somewhere before bringing it to the dealer. I feel like going in with evidence is better than saying "maybe something's wrong" and giving them the upper hand in the situation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-23-2017),HitShane (03-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    I rotated them once at 7.5k miles and replaced them with snows at 15k. The "original" rear tire doesn't look so bad since I moved it up front.

My dealer doesn't do alignments in-house but since I brought them my printout and showed them the tires, I guess they didn't need to send it out to confirm the obvious. It took a little convincing and a phone call but sure enough I'll be getting a new rear axle sometime in the next week or two.

Thanks to everyone ahead of me who made this process easier. I would recommend anyone who thinks their alignment is off to get it checked for free somewhere before bringing it to the dealer. I feel like going in with evidence is better than saying "maybe something's wrong" and giving them the upper hand in the situation.
    I have plans to get mine checked out in May after my semester ends and I have some free time prior to my summer internship starting up. Did they give you a time frame on when they'll be able to replace your rear axle?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They said about a week before they get the axle, and then 2-3 hours to replace it. Just in time to put my new summer wheels on without destroying them

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay so here are the sheets on our new SE hatchbacks. 2017

They said they adjusted the wine reds front.

Both cars go down the road well, although mine is the black one and I only took a quick drive in the wifes wine red.

I asked for color and they said the printer only prints black and white. I can tell though just the front of the red one was red. But I talked to the tech who had them on the rack and he said no issues.

I asked if he's seen misaligned ones and he said he had.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-23-2017),Top_Fuel (03-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just took my car for an alignment check at an independent shop. It may be important to note that my car was absolutely empty at the time of the alignment. I've read the specs can get worse in the rear as weight is added.

Mine is a 2014 DE manufactured 10/18/2013 that I bought used with around 53,000 miles. I think there is about 54,000 miles on it now. Had brand new tires when I bought it which made me suspicious that my car may have the infamous rear axle problem.

In my opinion, the results are mixed. My car is not out of the range, but it is very very close to the end of the range. Do you think I could get a new rear axle out of this? If I could, do you think it's worth my time to take it to the dealer? I'm not sure how these rear tow and camber values will affect my tire wear. Even with the slightly left pointing front end, the car has no noticeable steering problems.

Front Left
    Camber: -0.5
    Caster: 4.3
    Toe: -0.07

Front Right
    Camber: -0.5
    Caster: 4.1
    Toe: 0.11

Front
    Cross Camber: -0.1
    Cross Caster 0.2
    Total Toe: .04

Rear Left
    Camber: -1.3
    Toe: 0.27

Rear Right
    Camber: -1.4
    Toe: 0.24

Rear
    Cross Camber: 0.1
    Total Toe: 0.51
    Thrust Angle: 0.02

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
    ...2014 DE
    ...53,000 miles
    ...Had brand new tires when I bought it which made me suspicious that my car may have the infamous rear axle problem.
    I'd bet 95% of Mirages will need new tires by the time they have 50K miles, so I wouldn't necessarily read too much into that. Enasaves don't last that long...especially if they aren't rotated regularly.

My car is not out of the range, but it is very very close to the end of the range. Do you think I could get a new rear axle out of this?
    It is extremely unlikely because by Mitsubishi's specifications, your axle is OK. Just keep an eye on your tire wear and rotate your tires regularly. Buy one of THESE and keep an eye on your tread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (04-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I had my 14 DE I had not issues. Is the 17 sedan affected by this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    When I had my 14 DE I had not issues. Is the 17 sedan affected by this?
    At least some 17 hatchback's have shown up here, not sure about the sedan.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)