View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 31 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kapitan View Post
    did they, or are they going to give you new tires? I hope so. 40k is far too soon to use the excuse that your driving has contributed to premature wear.
    My dealership is VERY cooperative. However, he isn't exactly giving in on giving me the tires off his back. He wants Mitsubishi Customer Care to handle it to make up for (in his words) "a dumb ass design"

He said to Hammer them and make them authorize and he would be more than happy to put new tires on my car.

So, not yet, but hopefully soon.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Maybe they should reimburse for gas as well . Being out of wack gives more resistant . For those who have their axle replaced or alignment corrected . Did your gas mileage go up ? If so , how much .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is this issue happen to 2014 model only or 2015? Is it good idea to have the alignment check when purchasing a new Mirage from dealer lot? Or can that be find out from the test drive? If the car you trying to get is off then there is no real fix to it right?

I am planning to get a Mirage, how can I find out which is a good car from the lot?

I hope the new 2017 they bring back has this issue resolve if this is common on 2014 / 2015 car.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wmo168 View Post
    Is this issue happen to 2014 model only or 2015? Is it good idea to have the alignment check when purchasing a new Mirage from dealer lot? Or can that be find out from the test drive? If the car you trying to get is off then there is no real fix to it right?

I am planning to get a Mirage, how can I find out which is a good car from the lot?

I hope the new 2017 they bring back has this issue resolve if this is common on 2014 / 2015 car.

If the dealership has no alignment equipment to check, suggest to them that you take the behicle to an independent tire shop. If the car passes the test there, you will pay the bill. If the car fails to be in the accepted range, then the dealership pays and you get to look at another car. Another option is that if the car fails but it is the car you have to have, then get them to write in the sales contract that they acknowledge the fault and will repair it within a set time period.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My dealer told me they DO NOT warrenty tires anymore.

Thats seperate and handled by the tire manufactorer.

This is in alberta canada.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTransporter View Post
    My dealer told me they DO NOT warrenty tires anymore.

Thats seperate and handled by the tire manufactorer.

This is in alberta canada.
    Here in the province of Quebec tires has never been in the warranty clause.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kapitan View Post
    did they, or are they going to give you new tires? I hope so. 40k is far too soon to use the excuse that your driving has contributed to premature wear.
    I shot them at 8k and they didnt gave a damn, lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DirectNova View Post
    Here in the province of Quebec tires has never been in the warranty clause.
    Tires are covered by the TIRE manufacturers warranty in the USA not by the vehicle manufacturer. The issue SHOULD not be the tires but the fact that a defective rear axle wore the tires prematurely, but then you get stuck between the manufacturers warranty and the tire manufacturers warranty.

The best position to take legally (in my opinion) is if the rear alignment is eating up the tires, then it is also contributing to stability issues that could cause a catastrophic chain of events with potentially deadly consequences.

That is NOT a tire defect. I went through this whole scenario with Toyota almost 10 years ago. They gave me a new set of tires at 18k miles. They tried to tell me it was because I did not rotate and balance the tires every 5k miles, which is bull crap that they recommend to try to cover up the fact that a lot of cars are not properly aligned as manufactured.

"Implied warranty of merchantibility" means I have a "reasonable" expectation that my wheels and tires are pointed in the direction "specified by the manufacturer. I doubt that is interpreted much differently in Canada versus the US since the legality goes back to old English law preceeding the
    colonization of both Canada and the USA, prior to the revolution.

I have rotated the tires on the wife's Sorento once in 44k miles. That way I know the wear pattern is correct and alignment is close enough to not cause any irregular wear of the tires.
    Never rebalanced them and they do not need it now.

regards
    mech
    Last edited by deleted user; 08-26-2015 at 11:08 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Lol i should show my "service report" where they said my tire wear was caused by my "aggressive driving" LOL
    Last edited by TheTransporter; 08-26-2015 at 03:16 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    The best position to take legally (in my opinion) is if the rear alignment is eating up the tires, then it is also contributing to stability issues that could cause a catastrophic chain of events with potentially deadly consequences.
    That's spot on. As soon as they hear "catastrophic" and "deadly" they start moving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)