View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 86 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    they did it once before, maybe poorly and thats what caused the problem. I imagine you could do it again correctly. You would have to talk to a welder. the hard part would be configuing a make shift jig that would be precise enough for the job.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    That's interesting thinking. So here is where my knowledge ends and forum members fill me in.

Somewhere here a member who works as a mechanic spoke out against using heat on parts, especially suspension & steering as it wrecks the hardening those parts undergo during manufacturing. That makes sense to me. I suspect grinding and re-welding would significantly weaken the assembly, asking for trouble.

Yes, making a jig would be difficult, but I would worry more about damaging any hardening.

Towards that, I am curious to see how these rear axle assemblies hold their form over time. We have several members here using their Mirages for delivery - Uber, pizza, parts, etc. If any member notices changes to their rear axle alignment over time, I hope we get it documented here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    About grinding the weld. Look at the pic on the previous page. Only about a quarter of the full welded circle is visible and you could
    only get to about one little section of the circle with a grinding wheel through the relief cutout they left open at the end of the tube I guess to leave room for the wheel speed sensor harness?

They weld the stub axle to the plate and then they weld the plate to the end of the axle tube so one would have to completely cut the tube off to get to the little circle of weld around the sub axle.

About heating it: I remember that post when someone said all that. Well I can speak from experience. You will not cold bend this axle assembly with a six foot pipe permanently!
    I even tried pulling the two ends of the axle together (to OVER toe it out) with a threaded rod assembly,which was actually a lower control arm/adjustable link for another car and I pulled it with a force where I could not turn the adjuster nut anymore with a big a$$ adjustable wrench with my 230 lbs hanging off the end of it. At that point it was toeing out over a degree on each side. But when I released tension it went back to exactly where it was. (about .8 degree positive toe.or toe in)

It is like trying to bend a leaf spring just a little bit by bending it.It is not going to happen!
    Or trying to make a coil spring a half inch shorter by compressing it and releasing it.It will go back right where it was.

To finally get my axle to near zero toe I had to apply heat to the "root" of the stub axle near the tube end plate,pull with a 6-7 foot
    pipe while it was still glowing and even that took SEVERAL attempts on each side to show that it moved and then confirm on the alignment machine.

I don't think the axle will change shape over time unless it is rammed into with another vehicle as in an accident or something like that. It IS a spring and this little bugger is tougher than I thought it was.

So I invite that person who said how bad it is to apply heat to parts due to it weakening to bring his pipes and bend my weakened axle any which way he wants to.I just want to watch! I already know what it takes to bend this sucker!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-14-2016),Eggman (11-14-2016),Top_Fuel (11-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    3dplane--Wow, your fuel economy log is nothing short of phenomenal. Mitsubishi is really missing some good opportunities to show just how efficient the Mirage is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

curious: Your front camber values

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Frank_A05, sorry to hear about your alignment problems. I'm going to guess that the car was let go by the previous owner over this, and probably wore through tires quickly. You could try to work something out with the place you bought it from. You could try getting this fixed through a Mitsubishi dealer, but judging by other member's experience shared here it hasn't usually gone well. I think it's worth a try, though.

Just going by memory I think there's been worse numbers than yours.

Position Camber Toe
    Left Front 0.2° 0.31°
    Right Front -0.5° -0.44
    Left Rear -1.6° -0.06°
    Right Rear -1.8° 0.59°

The following info I found in the 2015 service manual.

Suspension Specifications 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage
    Front Toe-in At the center of tire tread mm (in) 0 ± 3 (0.0 ± 0.1)
    Front Camber 0°05' ± 0°45' *
    Front Caster 4°00' ± 0°45'
    Front Kingpin inclination 11°35' ± 1°30'
    Rear Toe-in At the center of tire tread mm (in) 2.5 ± 3 (0.10 ± 0.12)
    Camber -1°00' ± 0°45' *
    NOTE: *: Difference between right and left wheels must be 0°30' or less.

Comparing your alignment numbers with specifications (for a 2015...) it looks like your rear axle camber is out but the bigger concern would be the right rear toe, which would cause problems with handling, tire wear, and fuel economy (the front toe is adjustable, but not the rear.)

Part of me wonders if your car has been in an accident and has been repaired? Some of the front alignment numbers look questionable to me - but I'm no trained mechanic, so what do I know.

Here's something to think about. I'm not sure how much you paid but it might be worth considering replacing the axle yourself, either DIY or have a mechanic do it. A replacement axle lists for $827.80 online at mitsubishipartswarehouse.com. They sell the assembly for $629.13. Here's a link to the part:

Axle Assembly Part # 4120A150 for 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 1.2L L3 - Gas | Genuine OEM Mitsubishi Part

My dealer's service department had the job done by lunch, and the service guy commented on how small the assembly was. There's no adjustments that I'm aware of, so your alignment might work out if you only had a straight axle.

Is it possible for you to drive another Mirage without the alignment problems? Doing so could give you an idea of before & after results.

Would replacing the axle be worth it? In terms of money, maybe not. It might be cheaper to keep replacing tires. In terms of stress and agitation from driving a wandering car, or arguably from a safety standpoint (handling issues) it might be worth considering. Like I said, I'm not sure how much you paid for the car but it might be worth either doing an axle replacement yourself or having a mechanic that you trust do the work. Either way it would be interesting to hear how this turns out for you as I'm sure the car will last long enough for you to enjoy the benefits.
    It struck me that your front camber values are just as crappy as mine. It should be a new thread maybe?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RodeRoNL For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    It struck me that your front camber values are just as crappy as mine. It should be a new thread maybe?
    Perhaps we should embrace our poor alignments?

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  8.9 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank_A05 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Haha the things people do to their cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2017 Hatch on the alignment machine...

This guy:

Name:  20161115_081606.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  95.0 KB

Had a chance to go up on the machine just to see if they "fixed" the axles for 17's.

Same axle as 14-15 Mirage.

What do you guess at this point?

On the machine:

Name:  20161115_082320.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  76.5 KB

Not looking good on that screen in the distance.

Because it is just as flopped up as the rest I have seen. 14's,15's apparently 17's it does not matter.

Name:  20161115_082233.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  75.1 KB

Congratulations Mitsubishi! Can't take care of the SINGLE legitimate issue with this car.

At least the TOTAL toe is somewhat within specs and that is the tire chewing parameter.
    I don't care if it goes down the road a little crooked.But that's beside the point.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-16-2016),MetroMPG (11-17-2016),R01k (11-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Yikes! You're the first to report this on '17's. Probably not the last unfortunately.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's wild. It makes me wonder how my rear axle's numbers look as good as they do.