View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 88 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Front camber

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That should be easy to see without an alignment machine. Any pictures? Was the front end in an accident or otherwise bumped?
    I had it measured. A don't remember the values exactly anymore, but I posted them a few pages back. You can see it indeed.

I did not have an accident. I had a severe bump when one week old on the left side (bad spot on road). But I think the weakest link is the tyres. They survived it.

I don't think a photo would show it (as all lenses will distort a little bit). The problem is excessive difference between left and right front wheels (0.50 degrees whilst 0.30 is allowed). On itself, left and right are both within specs.

I found out when I got new front tyres and suddenly my steering wheel was off center a lot. The car still drove straight, so no problem there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I tried reading through some of this thread, but I don't want to read all 88 pages. Could someone fill me in here?

I just purchased a used 2014 Mirage with 52,500 miles. Brand new tires so I don't know if my alignment is any good or not. Car drives down the highway fine.

Did Mitsubishi end up providing a fix for these axles or can I get this issue checked for free?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
    So I tried reading through some of this thread, but I don't want to read all 88 pages. Could someone fill me in here?

I just purchased a used 2014 Mirage with 52,500 miles. Brand new tires so I don't know if my alignment is any good or not. Car drives down the highway fine.

Did Mitsubishi end up providing a fix for these axles or can I get this issue checked for free?
    No fix, per se. Mitsubishi replaced some axles under warranty when they were found to be out of spec, but I think that was for original purchasers only. Not sure what they would do for a second owner on a car with 52k+.

You can take the car to a shop and have the alignment checked, but I suspect that if anything is amiss you are on your own.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Could someone fill me in here?
    Mitsubishi replaced the axle for some of us, but as Cobrajet says, we were original purchasers and most of us were within the "adjustments" period that the warranty covers: 2 years. Some replacement axles were fine, some were still bad. With 52K miles you could at least ask the dealer if it can be checked for free or take it to a shop, but with that mileage I highly doubt Mitsubishi would take any responsability if you find the axle out of spec.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    Mitsubishi replaced the axle for some of us, but as Cobrajet says, we were original purchasers and most of us were within the "adjustments" period that the warranty covers: 2 years. Some replacement axles were fine, some were still bad.
    I thought this initial warranty period was only one year.

Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    With 52K miles you could at least ask the dealer if it can be checked for free or take it to a shop, but with that mileage I highly doubt Mitsubishi would take any responsability if you find the axle out of spec.
    Not sure if HydroJim purchased at a dealer or from a private seller, but I agree - it is doubtful Mitsubishi would step up here, especially for a used model.

My dealership replaced my rear axle and the new one was within spec. I still want to get this verified with a third-party shop.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, if I find anything out of spec, I suppose I'll have to bend it back into shape myself!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Well, if I find anything out of spec, I suppose I'll have to bend it back into shape myself!
    That would be cool. If you are able to do it, then please share how.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

axle issue covered under 5 year / 60k mile warranty in U.S.

Mitsubishi's position on rear axle alignment (e-mail from U.S. PR Manager Alex Fedorak):

I'm told by our service department that we are aware some Mirages including some early 2015 models might have a rear axle problem causing some out-of-spec alignment issues. This condition falls under our 5 year/60,000 mile warranty coverage. People who feel they might have a problem should contact their local dealer for an inspection and repair as necessary under warranty.
    This should be helpful for owners who were mistakenly put under the impression (by a dealer) that only the 12 month / 12k mile "adjustment period" covered this.

It's a clear 5/60 warranty issue. Have those customers ask to speak to the factory rep.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

3dplane (01-10-2017),bzacon (12-03-2017),Cobrajet (01-10-2017),Daox (01-09-2017),Eggman (01-09-2017),El Kapitan (01-11-2017),fifteenwindow (01-11-2017),HitShane (01-09-2017),HydroJim (01-09-2017),opencage (01-09-2017),R01k (01-09-2017),Top_Fuel (01-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Awesome! I'll have to try my local dealership before I put many miles on my new tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Whoa, that's fantastic! For a lot of us who got ours from Hertz with ~20k miles left on that warranty, this is amazing news!

Would you mind uploading the whole email?

Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.9 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.7 mpg (Imp)