View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 97 of 110 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

It's 5/60.

Mitsubishi North America's advice for those who may have trouble with their dealership:

It's a clear 5/60 warranty issue. Have those customers ask to speak to the factory rep.

From post #1.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-29-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    From the Rear Alignment FAQ...

17. If my Mirage needs a new rear axle, is it covered by the factory warranty?

The rear axle is covered by the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty.
    It is NOT covered by the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.
    See Mitsubishi’s official statement here: Post 878

When this problem was first discovered in 2015, there was a lack of information at Mitsubishi dealers. As a result, service departments did not handle rear alignment complaints consistently. Some forum members got replacement axles while others got no help from their dealer. With this statement from Mitsubishi, hopefully any defective rear axle will be replaced.

Keep in mind that this is an expensive repair that requires prior approval from Mitsubishi before the dealer can replace your axle under warranty. Don't panic...this approval process is the way expensive warranty repairs are handled by most manufacturers.

23. Will a Mitsubishi dealer check my alignment for free?

Yes…but only if your Mirage is less than a year old and has less than 12,000 miles.
    Adjustments required as a result of a manufacturing deficiency are covered during this period.

27. My dealer has never heard of this problem and doesn’t seem eager to help. What can I do?

This isn’t unusual. Remember…some dealers don’t sell many Mirages and there is no technical service bulletin for this problem. So don’t be shocked if the Service Manager hasn’t heard about it.

Ask your Service Manager to call the Mitsubishi Tech Line to report the problem (this is like a help desk for Mitsubishi service departments). The Tech Line people are aware of defective Mirage rear axles and can advise your dealer about the issue. Notice the dealership work order below for a replacement Mirage rear axle assembly which specifically mentions a TECHLINE CASE #...

Name:  techline.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  67.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-29-2017),MetroMPG (11-29-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In reference to #27, how the heck is there no dealer service bulletin when the rear axle problem is clearly a common problem? This kinda blows my mind.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    ...how the heck is there no dealer service bulletin when the rear axle problem is clearly a common problem?
    I think it's because very few Mirage owners have actually checked their rear alignment and followed through with getting a warranty replacement. The average Mirage owner (who doesn't read this message board) has no idea that their car may have this problem. And because the typical Mirage owner is probably budget-conscious, when their car needs tires due to an alignment issue, they just install new ones without getting an alignment (trying to save a few bucks).

Even the majority of Mirage owners on this forum have probably never checked their rear alignment. That's crazy (in my opinion) when they may be entitled to a significant FREE repair that will save them a lot of money on tire wear over time.

No manufacturer will go out of their way to tell you about a potential problem like this. It would be good service for a dealer to suggest you get an alignment check when you bring your Mirage in for its first free oil change. But that's NEVER going to happen. In the automotive business that's called "selling warranty work." If there was a conscientious Mitsubishi dealer out there who decided to do this, they would stick out like a sore thumb. The corporate number guys would look at the monthly reports and ask "Why has this 1 dealership installed 10 times more replacement axles than anyone else?" Then that dealer gets audited by the manufacturer. Again...this is not a Mitsubishi thing...it's industry-wide.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-29-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why is there no Poll option for "Dealer still refusing to warranty rear axle"? Called Mitsubishi USA and they also said that it's only under 12mo Adjustment. Will ask when I get my front alignment next week if they can just shim the back.
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bzacon View Post
    Will ask when I get my front alignment next week if they can just shim the back.
    What do you mean by 'shim the back'?

Also, I'm pretty sure Mitsubishi Motors North America has acknowledged that this is covered under their 5 year 60,000 mile warranty. Refer to the first post of this thread for details.
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-03-2017 at 02:39 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...Called Mitsubishi USA and they also said that it's only under 12mo Adjustment.
    If your car is more than a year old or has more than 12,000 miles, your dealer is going to charge you to perform a wheel alignment or wheel alignment check.

Does your car have a rear alignment problem? You haven't mentioned it in your posts. If you're out of the 12 month/12,000 mile window and you aren't sure if your rear axle has an alignment issue, find a local tire store that will check your alignment for free.

Will ask when I get my front alignment next week if they can just shim the back.
    The answer is...no they can't.
    See Cobrajet's reply in the next post.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    What do you mean by 'shim the back'?
    Many front wheel drive cars can have shims installed behind the rear hubs to adjust/align the rear wheels. You can't use shims on the Mirage's torsion beam rear axle to correct an alignment issue because the axle is 1 solid assembly. People unfamiliar with the Mirage will often suggest using shims to align the rear wheels until they remove a rear brake drum and realize that this car does NOT have conventional rear hubs or any accommodation for rear alignment adjustments.

HERE is a video showing alignment shims being installed on a Fiat 500. Notice how they unbolt the rear hub and install a shim between the hub and rear axle. There's no hub to unbolt on a Mirage. That's why shims won't work for us.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 12-03-2017 at 03:19 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (12-03-2017),poorman1 (12-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The stub axles...which the rear wheels attach directly to via a large hub nut...are WELDED to the rear axle beam. In many other cars they are bolted to the axle beam. No shimming is possible with this arrangement, and that is the problem. When some of these axles were manufactured they were welded incorrectly. Some cars are fine, others are way, way out on the rear alignment. I saw a black '14 or '15 ES Nav car in a Walmart parking lot that was so bad in the rear I could see it just by looking.

I would point out to the dealership that an 'adjustment' isn't what you are looking for since adjusting the rear axle is impossible anyway. You are asking that the car be checked for a factory defect that Mitsubishi knows about, and that you have reason to believe your car has that defect.

This is a picture of the rear axle of one of the first 2017 Mirages 'off the boat' in my town. It was taken in March, 2016. We were hoping the axle had been redesigned to rectify this fault, but it wasn't.

Last edited by Cobrajet; 12-03-2017 at 10:49 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (12-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If these things are welded in place, how are they going out of spec? I kbow it was said some cars were incorrectly welded, but here's the thing. My car was in spec and fine until I had new tires put on and then it was noticeably out of spec driving home with the new tires. Doesn't make sense.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    My car was in spec and fine until I had new tires put on...
    ...then it was noticeably out of spec driving home with the new tires.
    Correct me if I'm wrong...but you never actually had your alignment checked on an alignment rack before you had your new tires put on, right? I'm basing this off of a comment you made in another thread...

I didn't have any alignment problems until after I replaced all 4 tires at 32000 miles.
    The car tracked perfectly straight before.
    You may be making the assumption that since your car drove straight with your old tires, the alignment was previously within specification. You can't make that conclusion. Some alignment issues don't cause tracking problems. And sometimes tires will wear and mask a problem such that you don't realize there's an issue until you put a fresh set of tires on...and suddenly the car pulls or feels completely different.

That's why everyone should get their alignment checked even if it seems like the car is tracking OK and there's no obvious tire wear issue.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 12-03-2017 at 03:42 PM.