View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 104 of 110 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1099

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    Finland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Heffu View Post
    We have nearly 60,000km now on our Space Star, roughly 30,000km from these have been driven on summer tires which need to be changed now. Thread wear is not even on these tires.

I'm going to get my alignment checked for the new tires.
    My rear axle alignment is off the spec.
    Made a complaint to my service and just got a call that my rear axle is going to be replaced.
    So now I am waiting for replacement.

My alignment numbers are added to this post, but toe adjustment is in millimeters not in degrees.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2 Cleartec Invite CVT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star 1.2 automatic: 41.2 mpg (US) ... 17.5 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heffu For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-31-2018),MetroMPG (05-31-2018),Top_Fuel (05-31-2018)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Before lowering on Eibach springs
    Name:  20180428_195713.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  84.9 KB
    After lowering without turnbuckle
    Name:  20180602_085839.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  88.7 KB
    After lowering with the turnbuckle adjusted
    Name:  20180602_085843.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  87.8 KB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chdrummerdude For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-02-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chdrummerdude View Post
    After lowering with the turnbuckle adjusted
    So you are using a DIY turnbuckle device?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yes I put together a DIY turnbuckle device as described earlier in this thread by using 1/4" steel cable.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to chdrummerdude For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-03-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chdrummerdude View Post
    Yes I put together a DIY turnbuckle device as described earlier in this thread by using 1/4" steel cable.
    Pictures please. We all would like to see your handiwork.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was driving yesterday with my wife in the car, and I noticed my wheel a bit off to the left, with only 1600 miles on the car, it shouldn't be off to the side like that yet lol im going to drive to the dealership today after work, if the wheel is still off to the left side, I didn't notice it today on the way to work.

2018 mirage es 5 speed, I know this thread is more pointed towards the pre-facelift mirage, but MAYBE they havent fixed it?
    Last edited by Timinator; 06-04-2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Add info

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    I was driving...and I noticed my wheel a bit off to the left, with only 1600 miles on the car
    These cars can have 2 potential issues that may affect steering wheel position:

Issue #1 - The steering wheel wasn't centered when the car was aligned

This is not a bad alignment issue. This is just a problem because the person doing the alignment didn't have the steering wheel CENTERED before doing any adjustments. If the front end is re-aligned AFTER the steering wheel is centered, this problem goes away. My car currently has this problem...I just didn't notice it until it was too late. My car tracks perfectly straight and has no tire wear (and I'm approaching 50K miles). But my steering wheel is off to the right slightly. Annoying...but it's not hurting anything.

How do you tell if this is your problem? Drive on a straight, flat road. Let go of the steering wheel. Does the car continue going straight? If so, then you probably just need to have the front end aligned with the steering wheel in the proper position.

Issue #2 - The car has a front OR rear alignment problem that is pushing the car in a specific direction

This could be a rear axle problem. It could also be a front end alignment issue.

How do you tell if this is your problem? Drive on a straight, flat road. Let go of the steering wheel. If the car won't stay straight unless you have to physically keep holding your steering wheel off to one side, then you may have a front OR rear wheel alignment issue.

...I know this thread is more pointed towards the pre-facelift mirage, but MAYBE they haven't fixed it?
    They haven't fixed it. Every Mirage owner should have a 4 wheel alignment check done just to be on the safe side.

Remember...almost no Mirage leaves the factory with a good alignment on all 4 wheels. Get it corrected while it's free.

Why do I say they haven't corrected it? If you go to CarMax and look at every Mirage they have for sale in the country, there are always some with very low mileage and 2 new tires. That could be a coincidence... but I doubt it.

Name:  carmax.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  58.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

Why do I say they haven't corrected it? If you go to CarMax and look at every Mirage they have for sale in the country, there are always some with very low mileage and 2 new tires. That could be a coincidence... but I doubt it.

Name:  carmax.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  58.5 KB
    Good sleuthing!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    I was driving yesterday with my wife in the car, and I noticed my wheel a bit off to the left, with only 1600 miles on the car, it shouldn't be off to the side like that yet lol im going to drive to the dealership today after work
    Good catch Timinator. You are just getting started with your ownership and can expect an alignment check and any necessary repairs to be fully covered. My Speck had the same problem and it was fully covered, including a loaner vehicle (your dealer may or may not do this.) There should be no need to bring up potential rear axle problems - A good shop will take care of it for you. Be sure to get a print-out of the alignment check from your service department.

Also be sure to share your service experience. We like to celebrate the good shops.
    Last edited by Eggman; 06-04-2018 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added link to alignment check post.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will probably schedule something for Saturday, on my drive home, it was straight, but after a couple harder turned on my car the was ever so slightly off to the right, maybe 2-3cm

2018 mirage ES manual

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)