Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side mirror glass removal?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Side mirror glass removal?

Has anyone been able to remove the side mirror glass without breaking it? I want to put in some LED turn arrows but I'm having a hard time getting the glass off. I tried pushing in at the top to kick the bottom out, but I can't really get any good leverage at the bottom unless I use a screwdriver/trim tools to pry it. My guess is that the only way to get it off is to pry like that, but I really don't want to break the mirror in the process.

Name:  IMG_20141026_094915.jpg
Views: 2231
Size:  91.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I attached a pic from the repair manual.

Have you checked the harness at the mirror/vehicle side? I wouldn't doubt if the wiring for signal isn't already there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    (blank signature)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

anog (04-08-2017),Wayne (08-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    I attached a pic from the repair manual.

Have you checked the harness at the mirror/vehicle side? I wouldn't doubt if the wiring for signal isn't already there.
    Thanks for the picture. I was thinking the same thing about the tabs possibly breaking in the cold, so I'll give it another shot tomorrow or Monday when it warms up here. I haven't checked the harness yet but I'll do that too. I've thought about doing this for a while and I'll have the door apart anyways when I put new speakers in, so I might as well give it a shot. If I do end up breaking one of the tabs, I wonder if I can order a new plastic backing without getting the entire mirror assembly. I know there is replacement glass on eBay for about $17 (hopefully won't need it)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    If you are at all worried about breaking the mirror, Rock Auto has replacements.

For $90/each you can get the mirror assembly with lights built in and with a factory look. They bolt in easily & come in paintable black. With less risk of damaging your existing mirror, you can sell your old ones to help cover the cost of the new ones.

Parts on the mirrors from Rock Auto are not interchangeable with the factory mirrors - they are slightly different. But as Alex1a1f suggests, I wouldn't be surprised if the mirror wiring harness has the light wiring in place. Why not make it look factory? Considering your labor in modifying, it might be worth it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I hadn't even considered that. I will try one more time to take mine off, and if I can't I may end up going this route. Thanks for the info.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    Has anyone been able to remove the side mirror glass without breaking it? I want to put in some LED turn arrows but I'm having a hard time getting the glass off. I tried pushing in at the top to kick the bottom out, but I can't really get any good leverage at the bottom unless I use a screwdriver/trim tools to pry it. My guess is that the only way to get it off is to pry like that, but I really don't want to break the mirror in the process.
    The glass mirror can be easily removed even with bare hands only.

I have been figuring out how to install an arrow signal LED into my side mirror. Like you, I want this
    Name:  LED Turn signal lights in mirror.jpg
Views: 1757
Size:  64.6 KB

My concern though is if the LED lights will be able to penetrate the backing of the glass without scraping it off.

My project installs involving the side mirrors that's successful so far was the addition of cameras and puddle lights only.
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post57188

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was wondering that as well. If I get the mirror off I'd plan on shining a light through the back first to see if it will even work before I go any further.

You said that it can be removed easily with hands only - how exactly did you do it? Just push up at the top and leverage the bottom with your fingers? I tried from several angles, even getting a finger behind the mirror on the right side but it was flexing too much for my liking.

By the way, I really like your setup there and am planning on doing similar things to my car when I get time. How did you mount those DRL tubes near your fog lights? I have some sitting around but not much of a plan for putting them on yet. They came with little clips and screws but I don't want to screw into the body there.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    You said that it can be removed easily with hands only - how exactly did you do it? Just push up at the top and leverage the bottom with your fingers? I tried from several angles, even getting a finger behind the mirror on the right side but it was flexing too much for my liking.
    Yes.. that's correct - push fully at the top and to the inner side as far as it goes, insert a finger or two at the bottom edge and lift it up. It's a little stiff there though, be aware also of the cold temperature warning .. it is warm/hot here in my country so it was not a problem to me.

By the way, I really like your setup there and am planning on doing similar things to my car when I get time. How did you mount those DRL tubes near your fog lights? I have some sitting around but not much of a plan for putting them on yet. They came with little clips and screws but I don't want to screw into the body there.
    Those little screws didn't matter as they are not visible behind the LED strip .. I added 3M tape backing as well.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

anog (04-10-2017),Wayne (09-02-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I was trying to install some tweeters in the sail panel and ended up breaking one of the tabs on the bottom of it. I had to use some hot glue to keep the bottom of the panel in place with the clip broken. I don't plan on taking this panel off again so I give up on the turn signal arrows for now.

Also, my 2015 DE did not have the turn signal wiring on the harness. It only had 3 wires (up, down, ground?) for adjusting the mirror. If anyone tries this please post here how it goes.

Edit: Turns out I forgot to connect the mirror harness before closing everything up... Looks like that panel will be coming off sooner than I thought.
    Last edited by anog; 04-10-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The mirror flexes unbelievably far before popping off!

The nuts, for The mirror are m6 - 1.00 pitch for when you drop them in door and you loose them and get frustrated enough to buy new ones (i took my door panel off, speaker out, dropped magnets everywhere....)

If you are able to locate the correct pin for the trim panel please post up a link. One of mine is broken as well

Attached Images Attached Images