Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LED headlight install

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    same here.. then after chaging it i cant stop changing the other lights to LED hehe
    Me too... I started with the headlights, now they're all LED's..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Late post here, does this LED produce blinding effect like HIDs do in a reflector housing? Do you more pictures of your high and low beam? How does the beam look like - as in projection on the road, compared to halogens? Cover more or similar area?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    bump...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 604_guy View Post
    Late post here, does this LED produce blinding effect like HIDs do in a reflector housing? Do you more pictures of your high and low beam? How does the beam look like - as in projection on the road, compared to halogens? Cover more or similar area?
    It really depends on the LED bulb. Many do not have the proper "cutoff" shield or LED placement to make a proper low beam. A few are adjustable that allow for fine tuning.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 604_guy View Post
    bump...
    No LED will ever have the projection of normal halogens, especially without a projector. LEDs dont emit light evenly like halogens, even if they advertise that they do. Without projectors, there will be glare.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zx2uner View Post
    No LED will ever have the projection of normal halogens, especially without a projector. LEDs dont emit light evenly like halogens, even if they advertise that they do. Without projectors, there will be glare.
    I agree.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (10-24-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I agree.
    Exactly.

You cannot take an HID or LED and install it in a halogen reflector housing and think it's OK. They all give off different intensities and patterns of light. There are cars with reflector and HIDs, but they were designed that way, just like some new cars with LEDs factory. Almost every make uses projectors for both HID and LED.

You may get a brighter light, but with the expense of the other drivers. There will be some that say there's little or no glare, but they're fooling themselves.

Do the right thing, leave halogens or install a projector.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    This is another easy modification, which will improve greatly upon the already-decent Mirage headlights. They will also last a LOT longer than the stock lamps, and will very likely outlast the car itself. For the price of a couple pair of Silverstar Halogens (That burn out pretty fast) you could have these. These LED lamps are very bright, like HID's, but they do not require the extra wiring for ballasts. They are very much "Plug and Play". But there are a couple of tricks I'd like to point out, so someone else doing the mod won't run into the same issues (and sore fingers) that I did.

First, we need to buy some LED headlamps. Our cars use "9003" bulbs, which by lucky coincidence, will also fit the very common "H4" bulbs used by motorcycles. I bought these from Procycle - http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#electrical You will need two of them. These are NOT the same as some of the cheaper units offered on Ebay - you get what you pay for. These lamps are 3800 lumen, fan cooled, and they are made to be used in "Dual Sport" motorcycles, which tend to be dropped and knocked around more often than your average Harley, so in our case the lights will survive anything the car will - and a few things that the car would not.

So, order your bulbs. Procycle is fast, so you'll have them in a few days. Don't know why this pic keeps coming up sideways. I've rotated it with a few different image editors.

First, lets get the old headlight out. All of the work to install the LEDs can be done without removing the headlight housings.

Pull the rubber boot off with the tabs, exposing the stock bulb:

Push the clip forward, and swing it away. Remove the bulb.

Might as well hang on to these

Here is our LED unit. Note the silver mounting ring. This comes off. You push down on the ring (Toward the heat-sink) and twist to remove it. You will need to remove it to put it in the housing.

Here is the ring.

Install it in the housing just like the bulb you took out. It can be put in backwards! The plastic tube should protrude outwards as shown here.

Put the rubber boot back on. Make sure it is pushed down in the center, and all around the outside. Here is where you learn from my mistakes: Lube that rubber (*snerk*) with WD40 or some kind of light oil, around the hole (giggity) before inserting the LED or it will be very hard to get it to turn and seat. The pigtail will go toward the bottom when it's installed. Push the lamp forward, and twist it.

And you're halfway done! They plug in to the stock headlight connector. Tape the fan driver box down to something so it doesn't swing around and hit anything.

Same process for the other side. A little less room due to the fusebox, but still plenty of clearance.

Looks a little different in the housings.

Does a great job of lighting up the backroads in this area, which are rife with deer and other critters that are out to damage my new car. Pictures on my phone do not do these lamps justice. They light the entire road up, to the sides, in front of the car, and far down the road. They are considerably brighter than the stock lamps. Even on low beam they light up the road great.

Enjoy your new headamps!

-Mark (Still trying for that forum sticker)
    I ordered and installed these soon after I got my car about 9 months ago. They are great, but the one on the left, drivers side, always seemed a little bit less bright than the one on the right. I had one hell of a rough time getting that one in, also. After about four months of driving we were on a trip, and I got out and examined the dimmer headlight. I noticed that one of the emitters was not working. I figured at some point I'd touch base with cyclops and have it replaced, since it is under a one year warrantee.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I was behind a coworker in traffic, and later he told me that the headlight was dead. Apparently the other emitter gave up, however when I turned on the high beams those emitters were still functional. Bottom line. I called cyclops and the lady I talked to was totally cool about it. She told me to mail it back and they would repair it, or replace it.

I pulled out the light tonight and it looked pretty bad. I'm thinking the emitter was dead when I got it and I further damaged the bulb by running it for so long. I hope they will still honor the warrantee. We shall soon see....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 35.4 mpg (US) ... 15.1 km/L ... 6.6 L/100 km ... 42.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RapidRick For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RapidRick View Post
    I ordered and installed these soon after I got my car about 9 months ago. They are great, but the one on the left, drivers side, always seemed a little bit less bright than the one on the right. I had one hell of a rough time getting that one in, also. After about four months of driving we were on a trip, and I got out and examined the dimmer headlight. I noticed that one of the emitters was not working. I figured at some point I'd touch base with cyclops and have it replaced, since it is under a one year warrantee.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I was behind a coworker in traffic, and later he told me that the headlight was dead. Apparently the other emitter gave up, however when I turned on the high beams those emitters were still functional. Bottom line. I called cyclops and the lady I talked to was totally cool about it. She told me to mail it back and they would repair it, or replace it.

I pulled out the light tonight and it looked pretty bad. I'm thinking the emitter was dead when I got it and I further damaged the bulb by running it for so long. I hope they will still honor the warrantee. We shall soon see....
    Got my replacement bulb from Cyclops free of charge and installed it easily. It went in much easier than the provious one. Problem solved. Nice to see these folks stand behind what they sell.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 35.4 mpg (US) ... 15.1 km/L ... 6.6 L/100 km ... 42.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RapidRick For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-30-2017),inuvik (01-30-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Howdy! Just adding my experience here. I got my LED headlights installed last Saturday. This guide is 100% spot on and I have nothing to add to it. But I WILL say this part is an absolute MUST:

Lube that rubber (*snerk*) with WD40 or some kind of light oil, around the hole (giggity) before inserting the LED or it will be very hard to get it to turn and seat.
    I was able to force the passenger side in but the driver side was a real pain in the ass. I detached the fuse box and pulled it up and out a little which gave me a bit more working space, but I never thought to lube the dang rubber before fitting the light. I sprayed some WD-40 on my finger and wiped it in there, then wiggled it in. Also recommending some caution as the lights have some pretty sharp fins.

Here are the ones I ordered. I didn't grab any before/after pics but the light output is nice. There is a good cutoff to them with only very very slight bleeding above the beam which isn't noticeable unless you shine it on a wall and look real close. They do both low and high beam and the difference between beams is very nice. I'll grab some pics when I can.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:  Noname.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  59.2 KB

*Edit - I believe these ones are canbus error free. I noticed no flickering of any kind.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ISP_guy For This Useful Post:

fc321 (02-04-2019)