Thread: Easy modifications - 45mpg (DE Manual -- PSI, undertray, more)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lightbulb Easy modifications - 45mpg (DE Manual -- PSI, undertray, more)

A few simple mods I have completed:

EASIEST - Tire inflation to 37psi

Name:  Mirage red.jpg
Views: 5901
Size:  44.8 KB

EASY (but dirty) - Partial underbody skirt -
    I bought a 30" x 40" piece of coroplast from HomeDepot (or any home store)
    The coroplast conveniently fits the entire engine bay with minimal mods.

Name:  underbody.jpg
Views: 5876
Size:  62.0 KB

I had to cut some of the width away as to not interfere with the control arms/suspension.
    The coroplast conveniently slides in (from rear of vehicle to front) underneath of the front bumper.
    I used zip ties (at first which failed) then rubber coated garden wire to secure the front part of the coroplast into the front bumper. The rear parts of the coroplast are secured just before where the exhaust comes down from the engine using larger pieces of wires attached to the exhaust heat shield and small holes in the body.

The only tools I used for the process was a pair of scissors and "spare wire".

It is difficult for me to give long-term MPG estimates as Ohio weather has been $hit the past 3 months and very cold.
    My best consistent MPG was 43.7 on the "live MPG display" on a trip from Columbus, Ohio to New York, New York. *Note this is before installing the underbody section*

I am happy to have the underbody under the engine because it prevents debris from entering the engine bay. Yesterday my "live MPG display" read 48.2 as I cruised around Columbus with my underbody and higher psi tire inflation. I am guessing the 54 degree weather helped

TO DO:
    - Rear wheel dam
    - Front air dam
    - Block off for lights/smooth out front.

Last edited by FitnessPatterns; 03-13-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: pic added

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FitnessPatterns For This Useful Post:

DemiRage (03-18-2015),Eggman (04-02-2017),fifteenwindow (03-13-2015),MetroMPG (03-18-2015),Teasmade (03-14-2015)