Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Removed my intake snorkel & baffle

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes it's slightly warmer air, but not by much and only when not moving, when driving I'm sure it's getting plenty of cold air being pushed to it. I don't believe there is a gain in mpg or hp, just the noise it makes is much better.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Looking at the photo in the first post, it is important to understand the consequences!

A)The snorkel was removed. Maybe the air being taken in is now a bit warmer. That would make the car a bit more economical at the price of a bit less power.

B) The resonance body was removed. This is the box shaped "container" behind the snorkel. Its purpose is to create a resonance at certain revs, which increases the volume of intaken air.
    Removing it does this:
    Torque is reduced at certain revs, maybe around 3000rpm.
    I would definitely put the resonance body back in place!

If you take a good look at what was taken out, you may notice the upper half of the snorkel-piece can be clipped off. That way the resonance body remains functional, and the intaken air may be a bit warmer.
    Last edited by foama; 05-22-2016 at 04:12 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

RedRage (05-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Foama I took mine off too I plugged the second hole that you're talking about, but when I looked in with my flashlight it appears that they are both passing air through the filter. Why do you think the smaller hole isn't? Just curious.
    Last edited by silverstreak; 05-16-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not sure how this ads wear to the engine. The engine air filter is not by passed in any way
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for confirming that Alex, I plugged the smaller hole anyway just to keep some of the warmer air out anyway.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Yes you are right! It does not bypass the filter. Just took mine apart and checked it. Sorry.

However, since the resonance body and snorkel are both before the filter element, the restriction of the filter acting as a damper of any resonances, removing the snorkel detunes the resonance frequency. Resonance now occurs at a higher frequency. As a result, the torque curve at lower frequencies suffers. The dampening effect of the filter decreases the resonance peak, but broadens the range of resonance. Btw, much the same as with tuned electrical circuits.
    Last edited by foama; 05-16-2016 at 02:14 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've noticed no gains or losses in power with it removed. I have noticed a mean growl that I enjoy though, plus a little less engine bay clutter. I want to seal off the side passage ways and open up the box in the rear to pull off heat from the exhaust manifold

9. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 2,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    I want to seal off the side passage ways and open up the box in the rear to pull off heat from the exhaust manifold
    That sounds interesting. I would like to see that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Blocking off sections of the engine bay will also affect the engine cooling, as you're changing how the air flows in from the grille.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've also noticed nothing but a little growl too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to silverstreak For This Useful Post:

alex16 (05-17-2016)