Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pothole survival survey

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Pothole survival survey

I have been dodging potholes all through this long, snowy winter. How is everyone doing, any issues from potholes or ruts? The ones I've not been able to avoid were fairly small (thankfully) and no problems so far. The cars seem to handle them well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Back in December I hit one on a dark road. Bent the rim, but my dealership was able to get one within a day. So I had it replaced along with my oil change.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not a pothole, but I ran over a fairly large/medium sized tree limb. No discernible damage was done, but I was a bit worried for poor Bernadine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've hit plenty, it is kinda hard to do in my poor county. My Mirage has held up very well to some potholes almost half the size of it. I'll be so sad if I bend a wheel, I never have in my life so hopefully I'll keep the streak going haha.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've only hit one hard one so far, but everything was fine. I'm usually pretty good at avoiding them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Around here it's hard to find intact roadway. The Mirage is taking it in stride. Have to drive a bit slower and towards the center of the road to avoid the plow chips. Hardest to deal with are the ones covered by water, narrow road and oncoming traffic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 44.2 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Its a little counter intuitive, but if you air up your tires a bit more it helps protect wheels from being bent. It basically makes tire not deform quite as much when hitting bumps which keeps the bump farther from the wheel. The downside is a bit harsher ride. The upside is better fuel economy, and no / less bent wheels.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Cani Lupine (03-25-2015),fatcat (03-19-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I forgot to air down my tires for my free dealer oil change, the service writer found me in the show room and informed me my tires had been over inflated to 45psi, I gave a surprised look, he asked if I wanted them set to factory specs I said yes, drove home re-inflated them to 45.

Its slightly harsher but the tires grip a little better, with the amount of body roll and poor traction they have stock, you need every bit of help you can get haha.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I went into a pothole when I was leaving Mcds and boy did I really feel it. No Damage .so I Really Avoid pot holes!!!!!!
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There's a plethora of potholes here in NE Ohio. Our local news team even has a "Pothole Patrol" lol. I try to play dodge'em, but it can be difficult with oncoming traffic doing the same thing!

My last car (Honda Fit) caught a pothole and destroyed the tire and rim! So I try to be cautious.

P.S. I just had 15000 mile servicing done and the alignment was good. The tires were still in the green zone +7/32" The front disc pads were 6mm which is in the yellow. Meaning maybe another 15000 miles hopefully.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)