Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: You're Not Just Seeing Things: Mitsubishi Breaks U.S. Mirage Sales Records

Now Jalopnik is getting in on the story too:

The Mitsubishi Mirage Outsold The Volkswagen GTI In February

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    Exact same thing I'm experiencing here. Ugh, f the b.s. I wholeheartedly agree with you on this.
    You guys get mad when the advertise every rebate, but look at the other side. Lets say you were a military member, wouldn't you want to know that you get an extra rebate for that? You guys should be happy about them showing casing amazing prices, its gets more people into the showrooms, testing, and buying mirages. The more Mirages that are sold means cheaper insurance, cheaper parts, and more after market support.
    I love everything about Mitsubishi!!!!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I am shocked that the Mirage outsold the Yaris. I bought the Mirage, as it is a better car for me, but Toyota has a much larger dealer network and a better/more established reputation (more repeat customers etc).

Maybe the Yaris is less popular in the USA? Here in Canada they are quite common.

*Edit - so in reading the comments in the truth about cars, someone suggested the Corolla was taking sales from the Yaris. This makes sense, as I found with Mazda as well the compact (Corolla, Mazda3) was similarly fuel efficient, came with better options, and was more spacious, for only a little more money than the sub-compact. Those who want really simple, really fuel efficient, and can live with small will opt for the Mirage. The mainstream "bigger is better" crowd will move up to a Corolla. I looked at Toyota and the Corolla seems to be a great car . . . just more car than I need.
    Last edited by Canoehead; 03-25-2015 at 02:10 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Yaris is definitely less popular in the U.S: Yaris sold 13,274 in all of 2014 vs. 16,708 Mirages.

Canada: Yaris sold 8530 in all of 2014 vs. 4048 Mirages.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html
    http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2013/10...sa-canada.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (03-25-2015)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Consider this: The Mirage had its best month when gas was as its cheapest for five years!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    You guys get mad when the advertise every rebate
    I don't get mad, as long as they make it clear in the ad that the advertised price includes rebates I may not qualify for. Then I know I have to do some more research.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I don't get mad, as long as they make it clear in the ad that the advertised price includes rebates I may not qualify for. Then I know I have to do some more research.
    I also don't get "mad" exactly, but did find it very frustrating when I went into the dealership fully willing to pay the full price as per the Mitsubishi build and price calculator and was told it will be substantially more.

No other industry that I know of has prices that go up when it comes time to pay. I cannot imagine a grocery store suggesting that if I wanted to buy cereal I would be required to also buy milk, and that there was an extra charge to cover the cost of putting those items on the shelf, and another extra charge for shipping them to the store, and another extra charge to cover the cost of the nutrition labels, and if I accepted all that, they would take my money and print me a receipt, but the receipt is necessary and would be subject to a documentation fee.

I always thought the Mirage was good value, but these tactics had me put off buying one on two occasions. I finally agreed to all the silly fees when the rebate offered was more than enough to offset them. As such, I bought mine for what I think is a fair price, or, for a great price + a bunch of fees which added up to a fair price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (03-26-2015),fifteenwindow (03-26-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I also don't get "mad" exactly, but did find it very frustrating when I went into the dealership fully willing to pay the full price as per the Mitsubishi build and price calculator and was told it will be substantially more.

No other industry that I know of has prices that go up when it comes time to pay. I cannot imagine a grocery store suggesting that if I wanted to buy cereal I would be required to also buy milk, and that there was an extra charge to cover the cost of putting those items on the shelf, and another extra charge for shipping them to the store, and another extra charge to cover the cost of the nutrition labels, and if I accepted all that, they would take my money and print me a receipt, but the receipt is necessary and would be subject to a documentation fee.

I always thought the Mirage was good value, but these tactics had me put off buying one on two occasions. I finally agreed to all the silly fees when the rebate offered was more than enough to offset them. As such, I bought mine for what I think is a fair price, or, for a great price + a bunch of fees which added up to a fair price.
    People don't go into a grocery store with the invoice on the cereal that is in the store and demand to pay less then invoice. People don't go into the grocery store with written offers from other stores on the trade in of there pop tart and say if you can beat this deal then we have a deal. People go into car dealerships, beat the salesman to a pulp, have him give away the farm and still walk haha

When you buy a tv at walmart, you dont have to pay for a state title, and you dont have to transfer a plate. Customers dont go walmart to walmart taking hours of a salesmans time to negotiate prices on items. Its a totally different type of retail. People can bash dealers all they want, but the market turns them into what they are.
    Last edited by grsupercity; 03-25-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    People don't go into a grocery store with the invoice on the cereal that is in the store and demand to pay less then invoice. People don't go into the grocery store with written offers from other stores on the trade in of there pop tart and say if you can beat this deal then we have a deal. People go into car dealerships, beat the salesman to a pulp, have him give away the farm and still walk haha

When you buy a tv at walmart, you dont have to pay for a state title, and you dont have to transfer a plate. Customers dont go walmart to walmart taking hours of a salesmans time to negotiate prices on items. Its a totally different type of retail. People can bash dealers all they want, but the market turns them into what they are.
    I went in to buy the base model when the web-site said it was $12500-$2500 manufacturer rebate + taxes and fees = $13,000. That is the price they offered on the web-site, and I was willing to pay full price + a bit more for a block heater. The salesman sat me down, and about 20-30 minutes later came back and said I could have the car for $14,900 if memory serves. I didn't lay a hand on the salesman, and he was only willing to subtract the $100 a/c tax (the car didn't have a/c). By the way he was smiling when he offered me the $14,900, I don't think anyone else beat him to a pulp either. They can pretend that is just honest business, but it is, in my experience, unique to the auto industry. Go buy a bicycle or a chain saw or a canoe or anything else and the business won't pull those stunts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You cant compare buying a chain saw or canoe to buying a car. Closest thing would be buying a house. Which has fees. You may buy a house for 150,000. When you go to do paperwork its more then 150,000. Sounds like some of have had bad experiences. Glad dealerships around here dont work like that