Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: You're Not Just Seeing Things: Mitsubishi Breaks U.S. Mirage Sales Records

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I went in to buy the base model when the web-site said it was $12500-$2500 manufacturer rebate + taxes and fees = $13,000. That is the price they offered on the web-site, and I was willing to pay full price + a bit more for a block heater. The salesman sat me down, and about 20-30 minutes later came back and said I could have the car for $14,900 if memory serves. I didn't lay a hand on the salesman, and he was only willing to subtract the $100 a/c tax (the car didn't have a/c). By the way he was smiling when he offered me the $14,900, I don't think anyone else beat him to a pulp either. They can pretend that is just honest business, but it is, in my experience, unique to the auto industry. Go buy a bicycle or a chain saw or a canoe or anything else and the business won't pull those stunts.
    i've bought several new cars over the years and i had the most difficulty with the mitsu sales tactics. it took me nearly two months to finally reach a deal, which is way longer than it has ever taken before. you're absolutely correct to walk out on that deal. the base model is currently about $10 000 plus $1450 freight and PDI (hundreds of dollars to peel off plastic and top up fluids). that's $11 450 plus tax. in my province that comes to $12 824 total. even though i just wrote that i had trouble coming to an agreement this was because i was not looking at a base model. all of the dealers i spoke to or visited offered the base 2015 for $12 824, although some also insisted on adding a "DOC fee" markup of 6% which can be waived if they choose to do so (for ex: i didn't pay it). i didn't push it at the time but i wouldn't be surprised if you could get a base for even a few hundred less, but don't expect much off on a base trim entry model.

is there only a single dealership in your region? if so, you really ought to consider making a trip elsewhere to buy when you get really serious. i travelled 1100 kms to calgary once to buy a truck. was a damned good deal.

for canada, there is currently a $4000 off MSRP discount for remaining 2014s (plus whatever you can negotiate yourself) but the selection is now very limited. there are certainly no base model 2014s remaining that i am aware of.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kapitan View Post
    for canada, there is currently a $4000 off MSRP discount for remaining 2014s (plus whatever you can negotiate yourself) but the selection is now very limited. there are certainly no base model 2014s remaining that i am aware of.
    This is what I finally did - on the SE model. There are 2 dealers in Manitoba, but they share the same ownership. I like the car, and now that the deal is done they are actually very friendly and helpful with service and such so far. Anyway, my neighbour has a Nissan Micra and every time I walk by I wonder why it is outselling the Mirage. It looks a little nicer, maybe, has more power and a sway bar. Other than that, I think the Mirage is better in every way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

I'm glad Mitsubishi seems to be doing so well selling so many Mirages.

All I ask from salesmen is they give me the breakdown of the price so I can reach a decision on who i want to give my hard earned money to. I don't like wasting my time nor do I enjoy wasting anyone else's. Let's get to the point, and I'll decide what's the best deal for my budget.

I don't walk into a dealership and demand the advertised price. I do demand a breakdown of how they reached that price so that I can investigate how I can qualify for it too.

Lol sometimes, I'm glad to be driving my 2001 Toyota Echo which I paid $2350 + tax and have had no issues with. Why do I want a shiny new car again? Lol

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    This is what I finally did - on the SE model. There are 2 dealers in Manitoba, but they share the same ownership. I like the car, and now that the deal is done they are actually very friendly and helpful with service and such so far. Anyway, my neighbour has a Nissan Micra and every time I walk by I wonder why it is outselling the Mirage. It looks a little nicer, maybe, has more power and a sway bar. Other than that, I think the Mirage is better in every way.
    metro has driven the micra. i myself have sat in one. i didn't like the interior as much as the mirage, nor the seats. but i wouldn't judge it until i have driven it. the mileage is more inline with a yaris than a mirage though and to me that's a big deal.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    I'm glad Mitsubishi seems to be doing so well selling so many Mirages.

All I ask from salesmen is they give me the breakdown of the price so I can reach a decision on who i want to give my hard earned money to. I don't like wasting my time nor do I enjoy wasting anyone else's. Let's get to the point, and I'll decide what's the best deal for my budget.

I don't walk into a dealership and demand the advertised price. I do demand a breakdown of how they reached that price so that I can investigate how I can qualify for it too.

Lol sometimes, I'm glad to be driving my 2001 Toyota Echo which I paid $2350 + tax and have had no issues with. Why do I want a shiny new car again? Lol

heh heh i hear ya... it's just part of our culture. we are conditioned to love new cars

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    i went and read the article that metro linked to. there is so much negativity directed at the mirage. it reminds me of when i rented one and the rental guys were all hacking it down and when i returned it were amazed that i didn't hate it.

hey rental guys!: i'm still on my first tank of gas!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kapitan View Post
    i went and read the article that metro linked to. there is so much negativity directed at the mirage. it reminds me of when i rented one and the rental guys were all hacking it down and when i returned it were amazed that i didn't hate it.

hey rental guys!: i'm still on my first tank of gas!
    I rented one for the purpose of a longer test drive. I talked to the employees at Enterprise when I booked it, picked it up and dropped it off, and again a year later when I stopped in to inquire (4 different guys). All of them said they have had no complaints from customers, no service issues, and as long as you are content with a sub-compact the Mirage is a fine car. I remember being 16 and thinking sports cars were great and mini-vans were silly . . . now I realize perhaps the opposite is true . . . or maybe to each his/her own is the actual case.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, Metro!!! A Great post!!!! I'm sure a lot of Mirage jelly beans have posted why they got a mirage on that web site!! The more that put a positive post the people will realize we have a Great car!! I'm going to post one soon !!! Great job Mitsubishi !!!!!! People are getting the Mirage Fever!!!!!!
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thx Metro,
    great - I´ve just bought a CVT here in Denmark - we pay a 180% tax above the actual price, and then a 25% VAT on top, so cars are so unbelieable expensive here.....but we´re lucky to get an additional 6 HP to reach 80 HP, and 15" alloys to improve handling.

I do understand why sales figures are going north...., the car actually drives so smooth with low revs, so you have the feeling of a much bigger car. And I do not consider that as a penalty! "The Truth about cars" can´t handle the truth! If I´m not completely wrong, the prefer a Chevy Spark (?) for the Mirage...., allthough the Spark looks funky, it´s a penalty above penalty to drive it, and I don´t think that "Truth" have ever done that.

Lots of stuff for the buck - I´m still a happy owner, and I´m sure I will continue to be that for at least 5 years and 100.000 km, given the local warranty scheme.

And the most important thing: The car takes my golfset with one third of the backseat folded, and my cart in the trunk; so still room for 3½ persons and a golfset.....neat :-) I can live with the few shortcomings, no problem.

Greetings from DK

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ Welcome! Glad you enjoy it!

I love everything about Mitsubishi!!!!