Thread: dipstick

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

dipstick

Hello again forum fam hope everyone is good and was wondering if I might be able to get a little more assistance..

Soooo it seems like I might be the only person in the world to have lost their transmission dipstick. I was checking it earlier in the day and just trying to juggle so many things at once I completely lost track of it. What's more frustrating is I cant find any info at all on getting a replacement anywhere online not even from Mitsubishi parts. I already went back and checked where I last had it without much luck I will probably go back and check again later on. But in the meantime if any body out there happens to know the length of the dipstick, maybe suggestions on alternatives or even the actual part number that would be wonderful

Attachment 24778Attachment 24779Attachment 24780
    Length from top of dipstick tube to bottom of stick is 13 1/4" ish.
    You can have this one but you'd have to pick it up.

I don't check level on these things. It shouldn't change unless you have a leak. When I do a drop and refill with the car on level ground [hoist] I get 2 1/2 liters out of it.

My siblings have 2012ish caravans that didn't come with a dipstick. It had a tube but just had a cap on it that said to visit the dealer. The service manual said to stick something down the dipstick tube til it bottomed out then measure up from the bottom. So you could just use an engine dipstick in their case and mark it accordingly. If you're really effed you could get by doing that. I'll see if the engine dipstick will bottom out on these things.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-21-2023 at 05:57 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I just checked it using the oil dipstick. Car hasn't been started since Friday. Stuffed engine dipstick down cvt tube til it bottomed out and the level was right at the top of the twisty section if that makes any sense. Your mileage may vary and this might not be the best way to compare, this is with the engine off. And the level may not be correct cause we just bought the car used and I haven't gone over it yet. So yeah....
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by effed View Post
    I already went back and checked where I last had it without much luck I will probably go back and check again later on.
    Check under the hood. I tend to lay mine down kind of across the radiator. And sometimes it might get bumped to be in between the radiator and other parts. In these areas, it tends to blend in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks alot guys! Unfortunately I'm in Texas pretty big haystack for me to find a needle in (my old dipstick) so I probably wouldn't be able to get that extra one from you fummins very much appreciated though! Yea I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I did is set it across the top but also forgot it was there when I went to the store. That's all exactly what I needed to hear though if I don't end up coming across it again I'll probably have to MacGyver something together dipstick metal seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to bend and break off any extra length

Maybe look up a Mirage transmission on car-part.com, look up any year Mirage "transmission" then click "Non-Interchange search using only Mitsubishi Mirage" Select: 2014-2023 model years. Then weed through the descriptions and find the ones that show auto/at.

Call them up(don't email) and see if someone would be willing to sell you just the dipstick. Might take a few calls but I'd like to think someone would help you out eventually. If you can't find one let me know, I can probably send someone with dogsleds down there.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you guys know if all oil dipstick tube shaft things are about the same size? If not what might be a good way to seal it off I assume leaving it open probably isn't best practice. Or did you maybe mean get a mirage oil dipstick? The tubes do look about the same size I've only had a few cars that were my own and most of them were Mitsubishis. I used to have a lancer and I feel like the tubes might have been around same but I'm just completely guessing to be honest

I couldn't tell you what else might fit. I'd just call some wrecking yards and try to find the right one.
    In the meantime make a cap from anything. Duct tape, electrical tape, a plastic bag and elastic band, someone's finger, shotgun shell, a stick, a rock? The transmission has a vent tube so doesn't need to breath through the dipstick.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Sometimes I'm a dipstick...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)