Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEAF owners/experience

Country
    United States
    Thanks

LEAF owners/experience

After all my rants against, I'm seriously considering getting an EV. Quite the hypocrite; perhaps I have a future in politics. But I digress...

Anyone have a LEAF or have experience with one in the past? Looking at a 2018 SL with 30k, but unsure (and ignorant) about range and battery degradation. Really surprised how much I liked it on the test drive. My daily commute is 55 miles round trip, 90% highway; will the 40kwh be enough, or should I get the newer Plus?
    Thanks in advance for any info posted.

Karl has a 2012 Leaf. I don't know much about them. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...l=1#post149706

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Any reason you are looking at a Leaf instead of something like a Chevy Bolt?

Are the winters cold where you live?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Any reason you are looking at a Leaf instead of something like a Chevy Bolt?

Are the winters cold where you live?

There's several available near me (vs. Bolt) and cheaper than the Bolt. Also, I'm not a fan of GM.

My winters are the same as yours, as I believe we're in the same general area. You have a shorter drive to grab a Bill's donut if I remember right.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not a Leaf expert. A friend of mine owns 2 of them. One is a 2015 and the other a 2017. He likes them but they are mainly used around town because the range on older Leafs is pretty limited. I think the range on his 2015 is something like 70 miles on a good day.

According to this article, the range of a 2018 is about 150 miles. I asked about winter because that's where an EV's range takes a dive. If the range drops by close to 50% in extreme cold and that battery has degraded a bit (10%?) since 2018, then a 55 mile freeway commute (in extreme cold) might put you close to the battery's capacity. I hate to quote Consumer Reports but you can check out this article regarding winter EV battery range. I think you'd be fine 99% of the time because our winters aren't that cold.

Do you have a garage and/or the ability to charge at home with a Level 2 (240 volt) charger?

I mentioned the Bolt because every used Bolt is getting a new 66 kWH battery with a warranty. So even if a Bolt is a little more expensive, it might represent a better value with a new battery. I owned a Bolt for the last 2 years and sold it (that's a whole other story and I will post a separate thread on that later).

My winters are the same as yours, as I believe we're in the same general area. You have a shorter drive to grab a Bill's donut if I remember right.
    How did I forget that you're in my area?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (02-23-2023),Dirk Diggler (02-24-2023),Fummins (02-23-2023),MetroMPG (02-23-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not a Leaf expert. A friend of mine owns 2 of them. One is a 2015 and the other a 2017. He likes them but they are mainly used around town because the range on older Leafs is pretty limited. I think the range on his 2015 is something like 70 miles on a good day.

According to this article, the range of a 2018 is about 150 miles. I asked about winter because that's where an EV's range takes a dive. If the range drops by close to 50% in extreme cold and that battery has degraded a bit (10%?) since 2018, then a 55 mile freeway commute (in extreme cold) might put you close to the battery's capacity. I hate to quote Consumer Reports but you can check out this article regarding winter EV battery range. I think you'd be fine 99% of the time because our winters aren't that cold.

Do you have a garage and/or the ability to charge at home with a Level 2 (240 volt) charger?

I mentioned the Bolt because every used Bolt is getting a new 66 kWH battery with a warranty. So even if a Bolt is a little more expensive, it might represent a better value with a new battery. I owned a Bolt for the last 2 years and sold it (that's a whole other story and I will post a separate thread on that later).

How did I forget that you're in my area?!?
    Did not know that about the Bolt and new batteries. I do have a garage and would install a level 2 charger for overnight charging were I to purchase. Wasnt planning ever going ev, but had a close call heath-wise in December, and figure "get busy livin', or get busy dyin'". Maybe try some new tech before I kick it. But I don't have a Tesla budget, and honestly the LEAF seems to have fairly good reliability, from what I've read so far. Thanks for the info!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-23-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got interested in EV's when my friend took me for a ride in his Leaf. Let's face it...a Leaf feels like a Top Fuel dragster after riding in a Mirage!

I had a Bolt for 2 years and only charged it using a 120 volt outlet (which adds about 4 miles of range per hour). I never drove the Bolt anywhere except around town, so I never had a need to charge it any faster. If I was doing the commute you have, I would have installed a Level 2 charger.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (03-16-2023)

Friend of mine has a 2018? Since new, now with about 80k kms / 50k miles on it. Loves it - no problems.

Wait... I think he recently did front pads/rotors. Not from wear but due to corrosion on the rotors from lack of use.

Not sure which battery, but I think he said he gets 220+ km in warm weather. Mostly rural driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (03-16-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    There's several available near me (vs. Bolt) and cheaper than the Bolt. Also, I'm not a fan of GM.

I looked up the difference between them, because I did not know.

Nissan Leaf MSRP = starts @ $28,040
    Chevy Bolt EV MSRP = starts @ $26,500
    Chevy Bolt EUV MSRP = starts @ $27,800

I believe the same $7,500 tax credit would apply to all of them. In my area the Bolt would be more popular, because there are 13 different Chevy dealerships within a 50 mile radius of the county seat (Richland Center). By comparison, there would be 0 Nissan dealerships within that same radius.

I know two who live in RC, but work in Viroqua (approximately 35 miles apart), & they both use a Bolt to commute to work. One is driving a new 2023 Bolt (got it earlier this month), & the other is driving an older model. The new Bolt is charged at home (set up a 220 for it). The older Bolt is charged at work, but he works for a Chevy dealership. He used to work for them years ago, & he left to work at a closer Chevy dealership. They wanted to lure him back, & provided him with an EV to drive back & forth to work. It's plastered with dealership advertisements, but I doubt he cares.

I know a third family that got a 2023 Bolt earlier this month, too. The two that bought the 2023 Bolts recently are guys who research the heck out of everything.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (03-16-2023)

I had a Bolt for 2 years and only charged it using a 120 volt outlet (which adds about 4 miles of range per hour). I never drove the Bolt anywhere except around town, so I never had a need to charge it any faster.
    That's funny - I was just going to post the same story about a friend with a Bolt who did the same thing (no level 2 charger at home). And the battery is big enough that even if he did "extra" driving, he caught up over the next night's charge (or two).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (03-16-2023)