Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage refused to start after "check engine soon" message, fuel cap was loose

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks

Post Mirage refused to start after "check engine soon" message, fuel cap was loose

Hello everyone,

just had a smaller issue with my Mirage on my short trip to Harpers Ferry, WV. While I was driving, my Mirage popped out the message "check engine soon". I thought "alright, Dolly, will do that soon" and continued driving until Harpers Ferry Nationalpark. I then popped the hood and looked around, but my laypeople eyes did not spot anything bad. Next I tried to start the engine, but the Mirage would not let me. She kept quiet but produced a check battery light and the red light with the oil-can. So I followed the old principle of, "maybe problems fix themselves when left alone" and went for a hike to the Harpers Ferry outlook (really nice, BTW). I have to admit that the scenario of having to tow my Dolly did accompany my thoughts during the entire hike and made me a bit nervous.

When I came back, I tried starting my Dolly and she came back to life, although still with the "check engine soon" light on. I was able to safely return home, where I did a quick research and then plugged her on my OBD scanner which showed the error P0455 (giant leak in EVAP control system). I then checked the fuel cap and voila, it was totally loose. I then remembered that I had handed over my car to flightcar at IAD and they must have forgotten to tighten the fuel cap when they filled her up. I was able to clear the code but will nonetheless make arrangements for a service as soon as possible.

So, in case you hand your car over to a third party and get the message "check engine soon", it might just be the fuel cap, fingers crossed.

All the best

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Donut For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-30-2015),debburyl (04-03-2015),Top_Fuel (06-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for sharing the story. I'm sure this'll help someone out in the future.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep, evap leak codes are most often caused by a loose fuel cap. Always tighten them down properly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad that it was such an easy fix.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    funny enough follow-up: just found a service special ad from my dealership in the mail.

the "check engine light diagnosis" special is offered for a low USD 49,-, i.e., this is what a loose fuel cap can cost you...
    My OBD scanner just paid for itself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks so much!!! Donut!!!! That's scary it's good to know I'll keep that in mind. I don't like anyone fueling my jellybean . Because they are careless! And spill gas on your car. The same was when you have the oil changed. One time I had my caravan oil changed at Midas and the had oil on my carpet dash and door panel. Needless to say I was Really Hot!!!! So I'm Super sensitive with my jellybean !!!!!
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

how far before light comes on?

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Hello everyone,

just had a smaller issue with my Mirage on my short trip to Harpers Ferry, WV. While I was driving, my Mirage popped out the message "check engine soon". I thought "alright, Dolly, will do that soon" and continued driving until Harpers Ferry Nationalpark. I then popped the hood and looked around, but my laypeople eyes did not spot anything bad. Next I tried to start the engine, but the Mirage would not let me. She kept quiet but produced a check battery light and the red light with the oil-can. So I followed the old principle of, "maybe problems fix themselves when left alone" and went for a hike to the Harpers Ferry outlook (really nice, BTW). I have to admit that the scenario of having to tow my Dolly did accompany my thoughts during the entire hike and made me a bit nervous.

When I came back, I tried starting my Dolly and she came back to life, although still with the "check engine soon" light on. I was able to safely return home, where I did a quick research and then plugged her on my OBD scanner which showed the error P0455 (giant leak in EVAP control system). I then checked the fuel cap and voila, it was totally loose. I then remembered that I had handed over my car to flightcar at IAD and they must have forgotten to tighten the fuel cap when they filled her up. I was able to clear the code but will nonetheless make arrangements for a service as soon as possible.

So, in case you hand your car over to a third party and get the message "check engine soon", it might just be the fuel cap, fingers crossed.

All the best
    Never left my cap loose but curious if the evap code turns the light on immediately or after several miles. Anyone done this?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    That's odd though.....I've never heard of a loose gas cap preventing the car from starting.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Carfreak09 For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (06-18-2016)

Same here - I've heard of it setting the "check engine" light, but that's it.

I recently read that some cars now have a separate "check gas cap" light since this is a fairly common reason for the CEL to come on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (07-16-2016)

I didn’t want to start a new thread so I’ll dump this here:

While out of town a while back a friend dumped some gas from a Jerry can into my Mirage while it was running. It died after a couple mins. We were in the middle of nowhere. I put the cap back on and it did fire back up but we quit doing that.

Then last my charcoal canister and most of the car ended up under water. The fuel tank and pump were full of black goop. I thought it could be from the charcoal canister so unhooked the two hoses from it and left the third vent to the body in place. Surprisingly the engine light stayed off the entire 4 hr drive home, with 3-4 restarts along the way. Even stayed out the following day before finally throwing a P0455. Car runs fine, maybe even better than before. Before cleaning the pump and fuel filter that is.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)