Thread: Steering column lock with KOS/FAST one touch start??

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Steering column lock with KOS/FAST one touch start??

In the Mirage quirks thread I posted that my 2014 ES with the FAST key system didn't seem to have a steering lock. I think another member agreed.

Now I have my factory service manual CD, and it says that the KOS (Keyless operation System, which is service manual speak for the FAST key vehicles) has an electrically operated steering lock, which seems to be mounted on the column in the same place as the key operated one.

I've both opened the door, and then taken the FAST key away to where it wouldn't operate and then was able to turn the wheel from lock to lock with no column locking, and I've also removed the blank plug that covers the key slot, and I can see no lock, but I can see all the way through the slot through the column where the deadbolt of the mechanical steering lock would go.

Can anyone working in a Mitsubishi service facility confirm that the only problem is that my manual is not up to date?

I was considering towing with the manual transmission in neutral, and don't want the steering to lock up.

Last edited by mpaton; 04-30-2015 at 09:34 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 46.0 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For what it's worth, my steering wheel doesn't lock at all either. Pretty sure it's the only car I've ever had in which the steering wheel can't be locked when parked - DE trim

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now that IS interesting. I can understand the challenge of designing a keyless "ignition switch" which must be able to turn the engine off at speed without locking the steering, and I can see how a solution is to omit the steering lock. However it doesn't seem such a challenge with a key system, so I'm surprised the US spec DE model has no steering lock.

Any steering locks in Europe or Australia?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 46.0 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    My car's steering wheel locks, and I can hear the lock disengaging (sounds like an electrical actuator, and sometimes the wheel vibrates slightly too) when I press the button either to start the car or press the button to get to the ACC (orange) state.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My last 2 cars have not had a steering lock. They both have the immobilizer chip key system. I thought the chip key might have been a replacement for the steering lock. Maybe a liability concern?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    My car's steering wheel locks, and I can hear the lock disengaging (sounds like an electrical actuator, and sometimes the wheel vibrates slightly too) when I press the button either to start the car or press the button to get to the ACC (orange) state.
    Your car displays the behaviour I would expect from reading my US spec Service Manual.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderG View Post
    My last 2 cars have not had a steering lock. They both have the immobilizer chip key system. I thought the chip key might have been a replacement for the steering lock. Maybe a liability concern?
    I confess I don't know the regulatory wording that leads to a steering lock being fitted. Only that would tell us if there are other ways to comply.

There are sufficient "unintended acceleration" concerns in the eyes of the public to make US lawyers eager to sue. If one worries about how to shut the engine off at speed (I don't), then one may worry about the steering locking at speed. I don't worry about the latter either.

That being said, I do have a powerfl electric motor connected to the steering column which may be computer controlled, and maybe I should be worried about that. If it is CANBUS conrolled, I probably should be worried about it.

The members of this forum are probably more informed than most Mirage owners. Maybe we should have a forum poll among those with a keyless ignition system to see how many know (without first looking in the manual) how to shut the engine off while driving down the road.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpaton For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (04-30-2015),uheym (02-21-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Glad I found this thread, I noticed the same thing. I asked the sales guy about it and they had no answers, just a blank look.

I guess one advantage comes with engine off coasting, the driver doesn't have to worry about the steering locking while moving. Also, think of the weight savings. That alone is good for +10 horsepower.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)