Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the resonator/muffler position on a Mirage "abnormal"?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is why when I redid the exhaust I kept the muffler in the stock location. I figured they engineers must have had a good reason to place it there. It's also less flashy which I prefer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    ^^^ I'll bet stock exhaust exhaust takes advantage of Helmholtz effect and is tuned for specific frequencies. Increasing cross-section would also require increase in chamber volume to maintain designed tune.
    Pretty much. I am almost certain this is why.............

When I do my exhaust, I am going to use a combo of american style mufflers and japanese, which are literally the same glass pack style just a different exit/tip.

I am going to do a 2" pipe, to the cherry bomb glasspack in the middle where the oem muffler is, then 2" pipe to the very rear, where I will use a 2-2.25" inch adapter to a skunk2 muffler (skunk2 doesn't sell any mufflers with a 2 inch inlet, all 2.25, 2.5, or 3).

The biggest issue with this car, is the fact that you can't go too big on the exhaust, which severely limits the amount of free flowing mufflers out there. Turbo style mufflers, by nature, are very restrictive. A quick google image search for "turbo muffler" will come up with many, and you can see the flow isn't "straight through" like a more free flowing exhaust. Restriction = less power. This shows greatly how restrictive it can be. You don't want this when it comes to adding power. This is why glass pack mufflers (even the jdm style of glasspack) is used so widely in the aftermarket realm.
    As you can see, the glass pack is straight through. At lower velocity (lower rpm) the air flow is slower, so it penetrates the holes and pushes the gasses through the glass pack material, both slowing it down (great for scavenging) and quieting the noise generated. As you go faster, and get to max rpm, less gas makes it to the outer edge of the muffler, thus is louder, and more free flowing!

This is a cut-away of the cherry bomb vortex, a muffler I am very fond of. Its not insanely loud, but for the design and level of sound, its the free-est flowing of them all. It actually beats the flow-master in flow by over twice the amount, and yet is the same sound level. It also helps scavenging by a ton. My only issue is I doubt I can fit a square muffler in the center of the car, as the oem is a rounded style......

This is a cut away of the skunk 2 mufflers, its basically a glass pack, yet sold as a "jdm muffler". The difference between USDM glass packs and JDM glass packs, is that the jdm style have a different inlet/outlet diameter size. The USDM ones usually have the same inlet and outlet. Also, the usdm glasspacks usually have a close inner and outer size, like 2" inlet/outlet, and 3" overall size, meaning 1" of packing material. The JDM style will usually be like 3" of pipe and 5-6" overall size, making it 2-3" of sound absorbing material.

The twin loop style might actually be beneficial on the mirage since it helps with exhaust scavenging by a lot, even more so then the cherry bomb vortex as the pipe runs literally out and back in.

Its all amazing to think about. Maybe I might use a twin loop style end muffler as apposed to the skunk2.... hmmmmm lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I honestly think you should do the glass pack in the middle like you intend to, but I wouldn't add the muffler at the end. I think you might be introducing a restriction where you don't want it.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    my setup right now is a 21" cherrybomb in the middle and a 2" pipe on the axleback finished with a resonated DC sports tip

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstreak View Post
    I honestly think you should do the glass pack in the middle like you intend to, but I wouldn't add the muffler at the end. I think you might be introducing a restriction where you don't want it.
    Two straight through mufflers would not cause a restriction. Most of the time a resonator is just a glasspack tuned to a certain frequency of sound per rpm to stop drone. Now if i put a cherry bomb glasspack in the middle then a turbo style muffler at the end, that would cause a restriction and negate the nature of the glasspack because a turbo style muffler by nature is restrictive, see my earlier post on that....

If you think about flyid dynamics, putting a 3" pipe for water then a 2" pipe would be like the glasspack (3) then the turbo style (2) its like stepping down flow. If i have two similar sized glasspacks, it would be like having a water pipe go from 3" to 3", no flow issues.

So no, it wont hurt, especially since the oem exhaust has a muffler and a resonator....