Thread: MAF issue making car run too rich

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

MAF issue making car run too rich

Alright experts, here's a puzzle for you: my Mirage goes to 12.0 AFR when in vacuum under load and the load% is 0.00. At most it used to go 14.4 when all was well. It also gets stupid rich when it's pinned, to the same 12.0 AFR. Neutral is normal stoich and light throttle is normal (as in normal driving, doesn't want to rev past 3k throttle input).

I had to hardwire the MAF sensor to the harness after a lack of a bracket on my custom intake broke the wires out if the harness plug that went into the sensor. I used electrical insulated clear silicone to fill the gaps between the pins where I secured the wires to, and no wires were touching or crossing. One pin seemed a little jiggly but it was stuck in the sensor enough that I couldn't remove it when I very lightly tried to pull it out. It was the pin to the full left of the sensor.

If anyone can post a sensor wiring diagram of give any input, I would greatly appreciate it. I just want the car running stoich and normal again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought rich is better than lean? You should see flames shooting out of your rear

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    How do you know you're actually going that rich?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    How do you know you're actually going that rich?
    The ODBII reader is telling me in the data feed and I can smell the gas when I come to a stop and the draft catches up and when someone rev my car past 3k and I'm near the tailpipe.
    when
    Stock is 1.0 lambda which is 14.7 AFR and it dips to 0.962 lambda with throttle enrichment you pin it suddenly and returns to stoich. Now it dips to 0.815 lambda (11.98AFR) when the throttle is pinned and stays there. I'm starting to think the IAS pin or wire is loose. I have to take a look and see. Too bad it's 1 degree Celsius and raining right now. I also don't have a garage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fixed?

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I could be mistaken but typical oxygen sensors on cars are called narrow band sensors. They are only accurate from about 13.5:1 to about 15.0:1 air/fuel ratio. VERY few automotive manufactures utilize a true wide band sensor (accurate from 10.0:1 to 18.0:1) due to the higher cost. VW is one manufacture that does use wideband sensors.

If you do not have a good factory connection then that will add extra resistance to the circuit which will cause the wrong signal to be sent to the computer.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.