Thread: Looked at your exhaust after the winter?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

Looked at your exhaust after the winter?

This Mirage was driven only ONCE on a salted winter road. That was in January, and it has been in the carport ever since. It has been above the freezing point for only a few weeks now.

Yesterday I looked at the Mirage from underneath and was shocked and disgusted. The exhaust was completely brown all over with rust, from front to back. Not just a bit, it is all brown with rust pits all over and everywhere, really bad quality. A terrible nightmare. A few weeks ago, that same exhaust looked like new.

In contrast to that, my other two cars both had their exhaust replaced, two and five years ago, and those exhausts are not rusty at all, but appear bright and silvery despite having been driven on salty roads for multiple winters. The manufacturer of those is renowned for being practically the cheapest you can get. However, they look practically new, while the practically new Mirage exhaust looks as if were at least 8 to 12 years old!

This really pisses me off!

Last edited by foama; 04-08-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Update:
    Spent a few hours under the car and thoroughly brushed/sanded off the rust. A really tiresome job, especially getting the rust-pits clean.
    Then I painted the entire exhaust with special "exhaust paint". That stuff is silicone-based, and made to be applied directly on clean bare metal. It is claimed to withstand 700°C.

Would I have known about the "quality" earlier, it would have been painted it first thing after delivery. Lets hope we are not in for some more unpleasant surprises.

Last edited by foama; 04-08-2015 at 08:05 AM.