Thread: A/C compressor noise - Is this normal?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

A/C compressor noise - Is this normal?

I hope some of you fine folks can give me an idea if what I am hearing is normal.

Upon using my A/C for the first time today I noticed what I think is the compressor cycling awfully quick. 5-10 seconds it turns on and then 5-10 seconds off and it does that over and over. I only notice it when the car is in idle. I'm sure it is happening all the time it's just that I'm only able to hear it when I'm not driving.

The A/C works great but this noise seems a bit excessive.
    Anyone else experience this?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, but I didn't pay attention to how long it was between engage/disengagement, so I can't say for sure if it was 5-10 seconds. But seems to cycle noticeably when stopped at lights, etc.
    I believe it's normal. I've driven another Mirage which cycled the same way.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When it's hotter out, the cycling should become less frequent. Some cars cycle more than others, and some don't at all depending on the system capacity and how large the components are.

I'd say it's normal unless the majority chime in saying their systems cycle differently. If only I owned a Mirage I could help you on this one!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't have a mirage so I can't compare it to mine.

If it's a small AC system (small canister, not a lot of lines, small evaporator, condenser), it will drop pressure quicker than a larger system. When the pressure drops, it stops pumping. Since it's small, it will get its pressure back quickly.

I would think it's normal.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Add me to the list of AC compressor failures. My AC compressor started making some nasty sounds today and doesn't blow cold air anymore. The noise goes away when I turn the AC off.

Fortunately for me, I live five minutes from the nearest LKQ salvage parts place. I just got off the phone with my local LQK and they will have an AC compressor for me tomorrow, for about $90. It is from a car with 70k miles and has a 6 month warranty. They had one available with only 2k miles on it, but it has been in their warehouse for over a year.

My car currently has 197,500 miles and this is my first major problem. Fortunately I have plenty of tools and r134a for AC work.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Add me to the list of AC compressor failures. My AC compressor started making some nasty sounds today and doesn't blow cold air anymore. The noise goes away when I turn the AC off.

Fortunately for me, I live five minutes from the nearest LKQ salvage parts place. I just got off the phone with my local LQK and they will have an AC compressor for me tomorrow, for about $90. It is from a car with 70k miles and has a 6 month warranty. They had one available with only 2k miles on it, but it has been in their warehouse for over a year.

My car currently has 197,500 miles and this is my first major problem. Fortunately I have plenty of tools and r134a for AC work.
    Sorry to hear about your failed AC compressor. When I hear "my car has 197,500 miles on it and this is my first major problem", I find that comforting. For those of us that haven't owned a Mirage all that long, I appreciate others sharing that.

I'm sure where you live and what type of climate controls (auto vs manual) you have may be a factor? I haven't really used the A/C in my base level Mirage yet this spring. In Wisconsin, it seems like we went from having to shovel snow not all that long ago to having to mow grass.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Im not sure about that. I like to turn the ac to recycled air and 63 with almost 90% fan speed. After that when the temperature is comfortable I press the snow flake and let that run until the heat is unbearable and then I press the snowflake again to turn the cold back on

I read on another forum that air conditioners operate at peak efficiency when 90% close to redline. Pulse and Glide for maximum gasoline and energy conservation. Also if you are referring to AUTO mode on the a/c I cant really speak on that because I never use the AUTO mode.

But if you are using AUTO mode than it makes sense the symptoms you describe because the a/c would have to turn compressor on and off again alot to maintain an exact 75. Sounds like a waste of gas to me so I do my little Pulse and Glide thing I described.

I think I am doing something right, I got 63 mpg today on a 30 minute drive (no expressway, just city streets) Alot of coasting in Neutral and alot of cutting gas to the engine by Shifting into 5th gear when light turns yellow up ahead

And I dont drive like a grandma in the city either, I try to get up to 40mph as quickly as I can if there are no red lights coming up soon. But I usually up-shift at 2500 rpm or slightly below. Almost never see 3000 rpm between shifts.

I like to get up to 55 and then shift to N until speed drops to 40 and then rinse and repeat. Thats the sweet spot where you can hit up to 70 mpg. After that I can have a great rip roaring belly laugh compared to the Rav4 next to me at the traffic light,
    Last edited by fc321; 05-09-2018 at 10:58 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-10-2018),inuvik (05-10-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    After that I can have a great rip roaring belly laugh compared to the Rav4 next to me at the traffic light,
    I nominate this for post of the month on grounds of righteous hilarity.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Im not sure about that. I like to turn the ac to recycled air and 63 with almost 90% fan speed. After that when the temperature is comfortable I press the snow flake and let that run until the heat is unbearable and then I press the snowflake again to turn the cold back on

I read on another forum that air conditioners operate at peak efficiency when 90% close to redline. Pulse and Glide for maximum gasoline and energy conservation. Also if you are referring to AUTO mode on the a/c I cant really speak on that because I never use the AUTO mode.

But if you are using AUTO mode than it makes sense the symptoms you describe because the a/c would have to turn compressor on and off again alot to maintain an exact 75. Sounds like a waste of gas to me so I do my little Pulse and Glide thing I described.
    My point may have been missed, but that's ok. I've owned my Mirage for almost 7 months now, & I haven't had the need to use the A/C yet. I have a base level Mirage with the standard manual climate controls. Thus, I can't imagine a car in Wisconsin would have the same level of A/C use as a car from Florida.

Since I've always heard leaving an A/C system sit idle for long periods of time isn't the best either, I have turned it on for brief periods of time for that reason only. There will be days to come when I will appreciate the A/C.

Sidenote: Although we had a somewhat mild winter, it took it's time leaving this spring. With the warmer temperatures, I've noticed about an increase of about 5 miles/gallon with my 5 speed manual. I've sort of heard that may be possible from others, but it's been a pleasant surprise just the same!

Country
    Ghana
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem for about a year now. At first I thought it's the compressor wearing out but it was not. This is what worked for me and the noise stopped completely. I had the ac expansion valve replaced and there is a round rubber seal I had it replaced. Then we added compressor oil and refrigerant R-134a and the noise stopped till now. I will continuously check for about a week and then a month to see if it comes back again.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-08-2023),inuvik (11-08-2023)