Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake pads worn out at 25K!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Brake pads worn out at 25K!

My front pads are worn and my mechanic can't find aftermarket pads from his normal sources. Mitsubishi crappy stock pads and rotor are $450 installed (compared to less than $300 for my wife's Hyundai). For the record my pads usually last around 75K for my previous vehicles. Damn. That's almost $2,000 over 100,000 miles. Some economy car. I really made a mistake on this purchase.

Anyone know where I can get aftermarket pads and rotors in the US?

I should've got the Yaris!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I found pads but no rotors on tirerack.com. Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...autoModClar=ES

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is not my business how you do brakes on your car but you really only need rotors if there is a brake pulsation during braking and the remaining rotor thickness would not be sufficient to resurface the rotors.

If there is no brake pulsation and rotor thickness is within specs I would just slap new pads on and be done with it.
    If you are worried about surface contact between rotor and new pads,they will wear to a uniform surface in a few hundred miles anyway.

Again not telling you how to do it ,just saying how I'm doing it.

And yes front pad wear is now a known issue.I think mitsubishi is coming out with better pads.
    I have changed pads on a mirage at 12K for a customer before!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

burnout8488 (04-18-2015),debburyl (06-01-2015),Madison320 (04-18-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't think you need rotors yet.

There is a couple of pads listed at Advance Auto Parts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    My front pads are worn and my mechanic can't find aftermarket pads from his normal sources. Mitsubishi crappy stock pads and rotor are $450 installed (compared to less than $300 for my wife's Hyundai). For the record my pads usually last around 75K for my previous vehicles. Damn. That's almost $2,000 over 100,000 miles. Some economy car. I really made a mistake on this purchase.

Anyone know where I can get aftermarket pads and rotors in the US?

I should've got the Yaris!
    Manual or automatic?

Also, define "worn." Are the pads at the squealers indicating they're pretty much toast, or perhaps there could be 30-40% left and your mechanic is just being cautious?

For what it's worth, Mitsubishiparts.net lists the brakes as follows:

Front rotors: $79.13/ea
    Front pads: $75.17 - front set

(Total front brake job = $233.43)

Parts do seem a little steep, but once the aftermarket gets into gear, rotors should be $20-40 and pads in the $30-60 range I'd guess. That will make for dirt cheap brake jobs, as they should be on a car of this size.

If the rotors aren't pulsating, see if your mechanic will just throw on a set of of $75 OEM pads. Labor shouldn't be more than a half hour on this car for just pads, in my opinion. If the rotors are pulsating, there is a chance they can be thrown on the lathe once to make them true again, rather than replacement at this point.
    Last edited by burnout8488; 04-18-2015 at 03:46 AM.
    I don't own one yet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't had them checked, but my brakes are making a grinding, pulsating metal to metal sound the last few feet of a stop. So I'm assuming the rotor is warped.

I think my mechanic is overcharging me, he's usually pretty good but his quote was $95 for the 2 pads and 110 for the 2 rotors. Plus $250 to install for a total of $450.

Maybe I'm overreacting? It's just that the tire incident and the rear alignment issue are making me nervous. I'm still hoping that Mitsubishi only went cheap on the peripheral stuff and that the "guts" are solid, like the engine and transmission.

Also I have a question. Which brake type lasts longer? Ceramic or semi-metallic?

Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I haven't had them checked, but my brakes are making a grinding, pulsating metal to metal sound the last few feet of a stop. So I'm assuming the rotor is warped.

I think my mechanic is overcharging me, he's usually pretty good but his quote was $95 for the 2 pads and 110 for the 2 rotors. Plus $250 to install for a total of $450.

Maybe I'm overreacting? It's just that the tire incident and the rear alignment issue are making me nervous. I'm still hoping that Mitsubishi only went cheap on the peripheral stuff and that the "guts" are solid, like the engine and transmission.

Also I have a question. Which brake type lasts longer? Ceramic or semi-metallic?

Thanks!
    If it's just a grinding sound, probably the pads. If the car physically shakes on the highway when you apply the brakes, the rotors are warped. But, if you run worn pads for long enough, they will slowly ruin the rotor - your car may or may not be at that point yet.

I think you're spot-on with the peripheral stuff being cheap. A Japanese engine and transmission combo are usually extremely reliable, and I would consider them the best parts of a modern Mitsubishi. It's no secret that there was cost-cutting in the rest of the vehicle to make a certain price point, but that is something that owners have come to live with in order to get excellent gas mileage at a super low price.

Ceramic pads are usually what most vehicles ship with and typically last longer than a semi-metallic pad. I am not sure what Mitsubishi used from the factory, though, and that information may not be obvious unless someone has a box of new pads in their hand, or more aftermarket pads come to market and they state what the OE material is in the parts catalogs.

As for your mechanic's quote, yeah, I think it's a little steep. These cars are so tiny, there is hardly any labor involved replacing the front brakes. Not sure where they are getting $250 of labor from... this can't be more than a 1-hour job for a shop.
    I don't own one yet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    $250 to install front pads/rotors is a total rip off. They just remove the tire, a couple other bolts, just clip the new pads in and bolt it back together. Based on that alone, the mechanic is ripping you off. It's barely harder than changing oil.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fusion210 View Post
    $250 to install front pads/rotors is a total rip off. They just remove the tire, a couple other bolts, just clip the new pads in and bolt it back together. Based on that alone, the mechanic is ripping you off. It's barely harder than changing oil.
    I had mine changed at 34k for 507 at the dealer. New pads and rotors. This setup was the longest lasting brakes I ever had. Most other cars I owned were done at 8-12k. The only one that lasted around 15k was the mazdas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dang I can't even comprehend these prices, the most I've ever spent on brakes was my integra when I switched to slotted rotors all around and hawk hp pads, still under 200. Most front brake jobs cost me about $20 from rock auto, I never turn rotors, I only replace, they are normally really cheap and worth it.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)