Thread: 2014 mirage radiator leaking, don't get screwed!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2014 mirage radiator leaking, don't get screwed!!

Purchased the car new, 1.2 with manual trans. currently 65,000 miles. Radiator began leaking around the bottom tank. No damage, just corroded and leaking. Took it to the dealer to have the recalls done; had them look at the radiator just for kicks. Of course, not covered under warranty. Quoted me $826 just for the radiator!!! Total was $1,250 for parts and install. I laughed at the lady at the counter and said "no thanks". Especially comical since trade in value is just over $3,000. So essentially, taking a medium sized pebble through the radiator while driving would be nearly enough to total the car.I couldn't find a replacement at any chain stores. Couple online retailers had listings for $120-$400. Research shows they're all made in China, probably the same manufacturer. Bought mine from affordableradiators on ebay, $88 shipped to my door.

Don't get screwed by the dealer!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dustyb For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (01-04-2017),Cobrajet (01-05-2017),Eggman (01-04-2017),Top_Fuel (01-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Sorry to hear about this. I hope the new radiator works out for you. I understand there is a specific type of coolant for these cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Wow...OEM radiator prices are all over the place for these things...

$610

$818

$627

$343

edit - Rockauto actually carries the radiator for a CVT Mirage...

Name:  rad.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  65.0 KB

At least you caught the leak in time. These radiators are so small, there's not a lot of room for error if the coolant level gets too low.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-05-2017 at 12:53 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Sorry to hear about this. I hope the new radiator works out for you. I understand there is a specific type of coolant for these cars.
    Definitely correct. Use of incorrect coolant type will cause corrosion, radiator leakage and premature water pump failure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Definitely correct. Use of incorrect coolant type will cause corrosion, radiator leakage and premature water pump failure.
    Always a great topic of discussion. Generally speaking, as long as it ain't green, you are probably fine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At least you caught the leak in time. These radiators are so small, there's not a lot of room for error if the coolant level gets too low.[/QUOTE]

Especially if you have a CVT...read on to find out why.

In the interest of full disclosure I should add that no aftermarket vendor makes a radiator specific to the manual trans. The CVT radiator will work for both HOWEVER; unlike using an auto radiator in most vehicles, the CVT lines must be blocked off. In most auto trans vehicles the ATF circulates through the radiator to be cooled and the lines are independent of the engine cooling portion of the radiator. In the CVT Mirage, the coolant circulates from the radiator into the transaxle. So, if your radiator leaks you could potentially burn up your CVT.
    Last edited by dustyb; 01-05-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: error

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dustyb For This Useful Post:

strawboss (01-07-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyb View Post
    ...In the CVT Mirage, the coolant circulates from the radiator into the transaxle...
    Did I just read that right? Engine coolant is circulated through a Mirage CVT?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Did I just read that right? Engine coolant is circulated through a Mirage CVT?
    It does through the stack type cooler mounted externally on the CVT. There is no radiator mounted transmission cooler that CVT fluid pumps through. So it's ultra important to use the proper type coolant and monitor your CVT fluid level from time to time. The procedure is simple and there is a dipstick.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-05-2017),strawboss (01-07-2017),Top_Fuel (01-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    It does through the stack type cooler mounted externally on the CVT. There is no radiator mounted transmission cooler that CVT fluid pumps through. So it's ultra important to use the proper type coolant and monitor your CVT fluid level from time to time. The procedure is simple and there is a dipstick.
    Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure exactly how the CVTs are cooled, but what AM SURE of is that if you attempt to fill the radiator without blocking the CVT lines, all of your coolant will pour out of them...Ask me how I know

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dustyb For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For those of us with the manual transmission, what would be looking for? I believe our lower vent is larger than the automatics, are at greater risk for a rock piercing our radiator?