Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: change your own CVT fluid / oil

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    @ Nicki Mirage - if you do this soon, take pictures and share your experiences. I will definitely be doing this service myself at some point.

@ Alex16 - so we know that 2.64 quarts comes out when you take out the drain plug. Anywhere in that manual that shows the full fluid capacity of the entire transmission? Would love to know what percentage of fluid we are getting out if you do just one simple drain and fill.

-Charlie-
    The owners manual for the 2014 shows7.4 qt.capacity for CVT. Page 9-9.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 48.1 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I am surprised that the factory literature advocates the 'Fill-Drop-Fill' method. This is quite wasteful of fluid, given that the nice fresh stuff gets contaminated by the used fluid as soon as one flicks the key. In the past (admittedly not with a CVT but with the older INVECS-II automatics) the procedure was to drop the fluid out of the sump, refill and then remove the return line from the ATF cooler. As soon as the engine started the remainder of the old fluid would be pumped out without contaminating the new. Admittedly it was a 2 man job (you needed one person constantly adding atf and the other ready to kill the ignition) but it was very effective. I can't think of a reason not to do the same here?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Pakistan
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Kindly share the location of cvt oil filler tube. Is it also called dip stick and from where we can fill cvt oil after draining

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I added a link provide by Eggman here that gives some alternative transmission fluids.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I found that site yesterday. Pretty cool. It shows other model vehicles that use the same parts, and I found it was fun to explore.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did the transmission fluid change on my 2014 Mirage (AT) and here is my experience.
    The plug is a 19mm I let it drained and notice that pan slopes back and drain wasn't at lowest point on pan. So I jacked up the rear of the vehicle with two jacks both sides and more fluid came out.
    I measured the fluid that came out and it was over 3 1/2 quarts. Since guide on here said sightly under 3 quarts that's all I bought. I'm guessing jacking up rear of car made it drain almost a quart more.
    So went back to dealer and bought one more quart.

Drain plug seal I went to local auto store and got a 12m 1.75 fiber crush washer that fit nice.

Also I didn't have to Jack front of the vehicle up at all to access the plug which was nice.
    Helps this info helps ..thanks and like the forum very helpful.

All said in done it took just shy of 4 quarts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did the transmission fluid change on my 2014 Mirage (AT) and here is my experience.
    The plug is a 19mm I let it drained and notice that pan slopes back and drain wasn't at lowest point on pan. So I jacked up the rear of the vehicle with two jacks both sides and more fluid came out.
    I measured the fluid that came out and it was over 3 1/2 quarts. Since guide on here said sightly under 3 quarts that's all I bought. I'm guessing jacking up rear of car made it drain almost a quart more.
    So went back to dealer and bought one more quart.

Drain plug seal I went to local auto store and got a 12m 1.75 fiber crush washer that fit nice.

Also I didn't have to Jack front of the vehicle up at all to access the plug which was nice.
    Helps this info helps ..thanks and like the forum very helpful.

All said in done it took just shy of 4 quarts.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dmtgamepack For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    -Nice! What fluid did you wind up using? Mitsubishi CVT Fluid or aftermarket. If aftermarket, which did you use? I was looking at an Amsoil version.

-I just want to know if there's a filter we should be replacing at some point if you drop the CVT pan. Can't find any part# for one.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used J4 Factory stuff from the dealer I honestly don't trust aftermarket fluid other then engine oil. It's from all the years I owned Honda's I got that habbit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmtgamepack View Post
    I used J4 Factory stuff from the dealer I honestly don't trust aftermarket fluid other then engine oil. It's from all the years I owned Honda's I got that habbit.
    Thanks for the update! Yea, I hear ya - I was leaning more towards getting the factory stuff too. Man, I'm really curious to see someone use aftermarket stuff so we can get a report on how well it mixes with the original Mitsu CVT fluid and if it causes any issues.

-Charlie-