Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: change your own CVT fluid / oil

Country
    United States
    Thanks

How to: change your own CVT fluid / oil

Does anyone on here know how to drain and fill your CVT fluid? If so, how? And how many quarts of oil?

---

UPDATE: see posts #4 and #5 for detailed instructions on how to check and change your CVT oil.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicki Mirage For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (10-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If its like the CVT on my Dodge they are the same manufacture you cant even check the fluid on it it has to be taken in to the dealer or if your lucky a trans shop will have the correct tools they have to take the temp of the fluid then check it on a special chart that tells them if its at the right level and at least Dodge will not sell you the very special fluid that it takes it is not normal auto trans fluid. I would guess that these are close to the same sense it has the same blank non user serviceable cap on the trans check tube.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, our CVT is not like that at all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think they made the CVT where you can service it easily unlike most modern automatics.

Going through my service manual really quick, it is difficult to navigate at times, just found this. CVT's can let you know when they are being over heated

DIAGNOSTIC FUNCTION
    M1231219000383
    WARNING INDICATOR
    If a malfunction occurs in the CVT system, any of "R", "N", "D", "B" or "A" on the selector lever position indicator in the multi-information display will be flashed (one flash per two seconds).
    NOTE:
    •The selector lever position indicator "P" does not flash when a malfunction occurs in the CVT system.
    •When the system is normal, the selector lever position indicator "A" is not displayed. Only when a malfunction occurs in the transmission range switch, the indicator will flash.
    If the selector lever position indicator flashes rapidly (one flash per one second), the transmission fluid temperature is too high. [Flashes when the fluid temperature is approximately 137°C (279°F) or higher, and stops flashing (remains illuminated) automatically when the fluid temperature drops below approximately 132°C (270°F).]
    NOTE:
    These transmission fluid temperatures, at which the indicator flashes or remains illuminated, are indication values on the scan tool (M.U.T.-III).

Good to know!
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

flotownj (04-23-2015),yujinius (05-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    TRANSMISSION FLUID CHECK
    M1231211700719
    CAUTION
    Replace the transmission fluid whenever the transaxle is replaced with a new one or the vehicle is driven in harsh conditions.
    1.Drive the vehicle until the transmission fluid is warmed up to the normal operating temperature 50 − 80°C (122 − 176°F).
    NOTE:
    Use scan tool (M.U.T.-III.) to measure the transmission fluid temperature.
    NOTE:
    When a certain amount of time is required to warm up the transmission fluid to the normal operating temperature 50 − 80°C (122 − 176°F), check the oil level referring to the characteristics chart.
    2.Park the vehicle on a level surface.
    3.Move the selector lever to every position to fill the torque converter and the hydraulic circuit with the transmission fluid, and then move the selector lever to P or N range.
    4.Pull out the oil level gauge, and wipe off the transmission fluid and dirt. Then, insert the oil level gauge again and pull it to check the condition of the transmission fluid.

NOTE:
    If the transmission fluid smells burnt or is excessively deteriorated or dirty, the transmission fluid is contaminated with particles of the metal bushings and friction material. In these cases, the transaxle must be replaced.
    5.Check that the transmission fluid level is within the "H" area on the oil level gauge. If the fluid level is low, add the transmission fluid to the "H" level.
    Transmission fluid: MITSUBISHI MOTORS GENUINE CVTF-J4
    NOTE:
    When the transmission fluid level is low, the oil pump sucks air together with the transmission fluid, and produces air bubbles in the hydraulic circuit. The air bubbles in the hydraulic circuit decreases the hydraulic pressure, causing the delayed gearshift or slippage of the belt, clutch, and brake. When the transmission fluid level is too high, the fluid is stirred by the gear and foams up, and the problems similar to those when the transmission fluid level is low will occur. In either case, air bubbles cause the overheat and oxidation of the transmission fluid, which prevents normal operation of the valve, clutch, and brake. Beside, when the transmission fluid is foamy, it flows out of the transaxle vent hole. This may be taken as the fluid leakage by mistake.
    6.Insert the oil level gauge securely
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-22-2015),DemiRage (04-23-2015),MetroMPG (08-22-2016),R01k (04-23-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    TRANSMISSION FLUID REPLACEMENT
    M1231211800879
    1.Remove the drain plug on the bottom of the transaxle case to drain the transmission fluid.
    Draining amount: Approximately 2.5 dm3 (2.64 qt)
    2.Install the drain plug with a new gasket to the transaxle case, and tighten it to the specified torque.
    Tightening torque: 35 ± 4 N⋅m (26 ± 2 ft-lb)
    CAUTION
    If the transaxle case becomes full before filling 2.5 dm3 (2.64 qt) of transmission fluid, stop filling the transmission fluid.
    3.Fill in the new transmission fluid through the oil filler tube.
    Filling amount: Approximately 2.5 dm3 (2.64 qt)
    Transmission fluid: MITSUBISHI MOTORS GENUINE CVTF-J4 (alternatives here)
    4.Start up the engine and let it idle for 1 to 2 minutes.
    5.Move the selector lever to every position, and then move it to the P or N range.
    6.Stop the engine and perform the above steps 1 to 5 again.
    7.Stop the engine, and discharge a small amount of transmission fluid to check for fouling. If fouling is found, repeat steps 1 to 5 until clean transmission fluid comes out.
    8.Drive the vehicle until the transmission fluid is warmed up to the normal operating temperature 50 − 80°C (122 − 176°F), and check the transmission fluid level. It must be within the "H" area on the oil level gauge.
    NOTE:
    The "C" level is for reference only. Use the "H" level as the criteria.
    NOTE:
    Use scan tool (M.U.T.-III.) to measure the transmission fluid temperature.

When a certain amount of time is required to warm up the transmission fluid to the normal operating temperature 50 − 80°C (122 − 176°F), check the oil level referring to the characteristics chart.
    9.Adjust the transmission fluid level to the specified level. Refill the transmission fluid when the fluid level is low, and drain the transmission fluid through the drain plug when the fluid level is high.
    10.Securely insert the oil level gauge into the oil filler tube.
    11.TCM records the deterioration level of the transmission fluid. After replacing the transmission fluid with new one, use scan tool (M.U.T.-III) to reset the deterioration level recorded in TCM.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 24446
Size:  29.4 KB
    Last edited by Daox; 11-24-2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: added alternative oils link

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

bzacon (03-20-2018),Daox (04-22-2015),DemiRage (04-23-2015),MetroMPG (08-22-2016),R01k (04-23-2015),seawind (01-20-2020),tomrad (08-21-2016),Tyrelirwin (06-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @ Nicki Mirage - if you do this soon, take pictures and share your experiences. I will definitely be doing this service myself at some point.

@ Alex16 - so we know that 2.64 quarts comes out when you take out the drain plug. Anywhere in that manual that shows the full fluid capacity of the entire transmission? Would love to know what percentage of fluid we are getting out if you do just one simple drain and fill.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Exactly my thoughts. So basically I pull the drain plug and fill through where I check the oil. Roughly 2.64 quarts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I say add two and check normally you don't get that much out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Good info Alex. Thanks.

I added this to the Mods & DIY list.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)