Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: How to: change your own CVT fluid / oil

  1. #31
    Member Bernadine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Has anyone tried the aftermarket stuff yet? I'm quickly approaching 30k, and Mitsubishi's fluid is pretty pricey. If you have used aftermarket fluid, did you do a flush first?



  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    671
    Thanks
    392
    Thanked 346 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernadine View Post
    Has anyone tried the aftermarket stuff yet? I'm quickly approaching 30k, and Mitsubishi's fluid is pretty pricey. If you have used aftermarket fluid, did you do a flush first?
    Don't do it man.. spending less which could lead to more expensive cvt replacement. A warranty claim will be denied if Mits fluid wasn't used.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

    Bernadine (11-08-2017)

  4. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    ab
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    448
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 270 Times in 152 Posts
    How can a warranty be denied if you are using fluid that meets the manufacturers specs? I used the factory fluid maybe on 2 cars until we found stuff that met the specs mitsubishi demands. The aftermarket fluid is less than half the cost the dealer wants. The only cvt failure I've had was at almost 300000kms and it doesn't seem to be fluid related at all. It probably would have lasted longer had BOTH cvt filters been changed or inspected regularly.
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-08-2017 at 03:12 PM.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

    Bernadine (11-08-2017),Daox (11-08-2017)

  6. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    671
    Thanks
    392
    Thanked 346 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    How can a warranty be denied if you are using fluid that meets the manufacturers specs? I used the factory fluid maybe on 2 cars until we found stuff that met the specs mitsubishi demands. The aftermarket fluid is less than half the cost the dealer wants. The only cvt failure I've had was at almost 300000kms and it doesn't seem to be fluid related at all. It probably would have lasted longer had BOTH cvt filters been changed or inspected regularly.
    What CVTF-J4 fluid do you use?

    Do you have a MUT-III Scan tool to reset the deterioration level in the TCM? is it hard? or how do you it otherwise?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    ab
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    448
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 270 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    What CVTF-J4 fluid do you use?

    Do you have a MUT-III Scan tool to reset the deterioration level in the TCM? is it hard? or how do you it otherwise?
    I use this: https://klondikelubricants.com/wp-co...thetic-PDS.pdf
    I'm sure there's other kinds out there. Just make sure it's designed for use with- "CVTF-J4".
    For arguments sake I don't use Mitsubishi brand engine oil either but I'm pretty sure they'd cover an engine failure. Though I do use the 0w20 weight that's recommended though that meets the proper specs.

    And nope I don't have a MUT-III Scan tool. And to reset the deterioration level is easy, I don't. Same goes for one for the engine oil life. I just reset them as high as I can go and just put an oil change sticker in the windshield. I also track oil and cvt fluid change intervals with a gps tracking program. So I don't see the need to reset that stuff on the car. I haven't seen any service cvt fluid lights pop up yet and don't believe that not resetting it would hurt anything. But I could be wrong?

  8. #36
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,745
    Thanks
    1,336
    Thanked 575 Times in 426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I use this: https://klondikelubricants.com/wp-co...thetic-PDS.pdf
    I'm sure there's other kinds out there. Just make sure it's designed for use with- "CVTF-J4".
    For arguments sake I don't use Mitsubishi brand engine oil either but I'm pretty sure they'd cover an engine failure. Though I do use the 0w20 weight that's recommended though that meets the proper specs.

    And nope I don't have a MUT-III Scan tool. And to reset the deterioration level is easy, I don't. Same goes for one for the engine oil life. I just reset them as high as I can go and just put an oil change sticker in the windshield. I also track oil and cvt fluid change intervals with a gps tracking program. So I don't see the need to reset that stuff on the car. I haven't seen any service cvt fluid lights pop up yet and don't believe that not resetting it would hurt anything. But I could be wrong?
    You can turn the "wrench" off completely on the MID. The CVT oil degradation reading is more of a diagnostic value for the technicians I think to see if there are any issues.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.6 mpg (US) ... 17.3 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.8 mpg (Imp)


  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

    Alex1a1f (11-09-2017),Fummins (11-09-2017)

  10. #37
    Member Bernadine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    This one is relatively cheap and says that it can replace DiaQueen J4 fluid: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aut...rowe-g052180a2
    I don't know if I'll change the fluid myself, but if I do, I'll probably get this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •