Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One year of Mirage ownership! A review.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

One year of Mirage ownership! A review.

Today is the anniversary of the day I drove my brand new Mirage off the dealer's lot with 236 miles on the clock.

So far, I have three big complaints, plus one I've already fixed:

1. Lack of adjustment of rear alignment.
    I know this has been brought to the attention of Mitsubishi and they're now working on a solution, but this was a very disappointing thing to learn when I first noticed I had excessive rear camber, which became excessive toe-in after being lowered. If it could be shimmed, I would have done so already, but I have to wait until a solution is made, while dealing with increased fuel consumption and tire wear that comes from misalignment.

2. Electronic throttle lag.
    Drive-by-wire is inherently less responsive than conventional cable throttles. Couple this with a manual transmission, and it does make it a bit more difficult, where you have to change your foot timing to release and press the throttle earlier than normal. If I could, I'd swap in a cable throttle body.

3. Numb steering feel.
    The electronic power steering is light and precise, but it lacks feel. It doesn't connect the driver to the road very well, so you can't quite tell what the tires are doing. I'd love to just gut out the electronic assist and convert it to fully manual.

4. Body roll.
    In stock trim, the combination of soft suspension and soft eco tires made it feel like it would either roll over or the tires would separate from the wheels in hard cornering. Better rubber and stiffer springs goes a LONG way in improving the car's handling characteristics.

That being said, it does have its perks:

1. Lightweight.
    Weighing in at under 2000 lbs (1973 lbs for my 2014 DE 5-speed), it's one of the lightest cars you can buy today, just 40 lbs heavier than a Lotus Elise. This gives it a LOT of potential for handling upgrades, and makes power upgrades much more noticeable.

2. Slippery 0.27-.031 drag coefficient
    When paired with the light weight, this really helps makes the most out of every horsepower, along with amazing highway fuel economy.

3. Fuel economy, easily 45+ MPG
    My lifetime average sits at about 49 MPG, and I've gotten 60 MPG on some highway trips when traffic and lights agree. Hybrid mileage without the expensive and heavy batteries? Eat your heart out, Prius.

4. Impressive list of standard features.
    My car's only option is Bluetooth. Standard, I get automatic climate control, remote locks, and power everything.

5. Comfortable seating.
    The seats are supportive, comfortable, and the headrest is actually a headrest, not requiring you to stare at the ceiling to rest your head on it.

6. Featherweight clutch
    Having driven in 5 hours of rush hour traffic yesterday, I am infinitely thankful for its light clutch.

Final score? 8/10. Mitsubishi brought back the simple, lightweight, efficient cars that many of us loved in the 90s, and for that I thank them, especially for making it very aerodynamic. That combination won me over. I can't fault them too much for the electronic throttle lag and steering feel, since that's me being picky, but the lack of foresight in regards to the rear alignment definitely dings their score.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

beerbelly58 (05-10-2015),Daox (05-09-2015),debburyl (05-09-2015),Don (05-08-2015),El Kapitan (06-12-2015),IchabodCrane (05-08-2015),MetroMPG (05-09-2015),R01k (05-18-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds spot on!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It sounds like you're still happy with the car a year later and I have to say the same.
    I've got the CVT so only two of those issues affect me, the
    poor steering feel and lack of alignment/adjustment.
    For now my tires are wearing properly so alignment issue is causing me no grief.
    as for the steering, as soon as my new garage is completed I will make adjustments there.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Thanks for the 1-year report. Detailed!

I wonder if Mitsu will ever address #1 & #2 too. Neither would keep me from getting the car, but they're unnecessary black marks against it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I liked your post!! And it's good you still love your Mirage! My One year anniversary was March 1st and I still really love mine. I have similar things I wish they would fix. But for price Mitsubishi has Scored with me. Every area on a car can't be perfect. There's cons on every car made.
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great review. Its always nice to hear from someone who has had and used something for a while. Thanks.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I agree with the first post on much of the stuff, but don't feel any throttle lag. Maybe that comes from the way I drive.

The very unappealing steering I regard as a number one nuisance. It also "sticks" and can not be moved without a considerable initial force, although the wheels can be turned on the spot with very little force. It repeatedly gave me a case of tendonitis in the lower arms after driving a long distance, before some successful modifications were made.

The drivers seat had to be removed and modified multiple times, before I could sit in it for any more than about one hour at a time. I was frequently at an orthpedic doctor, and missed work for several weeks because of unbearable back pain and combined inability to flex my spine due to the injuries from sitting in the unergonomic seat. This also was a major nuisance, but is better now. Clearly, Mitsubishi could learn a lot about ergonomic seats from Fiat.

Summarizing I say it is a fine little car, but has a few design flaws that could easily and inexpensively be remideed, probably at neutral costs. Why they didn't cure these obvious things in the first place is a mystery and only Mitsubishi might know why. Or were they just too ignorant?
    Last edited by foama; 05-09-2015 at 08:00 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is a real review, I agree with you, I don't mind the steering and the drive by wire is always like this but the rear alignment and lack of rear sway bar is a issue, I wish they included a arm rest on the ES trim
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    Today is the anniversary of the day I drove my brand new Mirage off the dealer's lot with 236 miles on the clock.

So far, I have three big complaints, plus one I've already fixed:

1. Lack of adjustment of rear alignment.
    I know this has been brought to the attention of Mitsubishi and they're now working on a solution, but this was a very disappointing thing to learn when I first noticed I had excessive rear camber, which became excessive toe-in after being lowered. If it could be shimmed, I would have done so already, but I have to wait until a solution is made, while dealing with increased fuel consumption and tire wear that comes from misalignment.

2. Electronic throttle lag.
    Drive-by-wire is inherently less responsive than conventional cable throttles. Couple this with a manual transmission, and it does make it a bit more difficult, where you have to change your foot timing to release and press the throttle earlier than normal. If I could, I'd swap in a cable throttle body.

3. Numb steering feel.
    The electronic power steering is light and precise, but it lacks feel. It doesn't connect the driver to the road very well, so you can't quite tell what the tires are doing. I'd love to just gut out the electronic assist and convert it to fully manual.

4. Body roll.
    In stock trim, the combination of soft suspension and soft eco tires made it feel like it would either roll over or the tires would separate from the wheels in hard cornering. Better rubber and stiffer springs goes a LONG way in improving the car's handling characteristics.

That being said, it does have its perks:

1. Lightweight.
    Weighing in at under 2000 lbs (1973 lbs for my 2014 DE 5-speed), it's one of the lightest cars you can buy today, just 40 lbs heavier than a Lotus Elise. This gives it a LOT of potential for handling upgrades, and makes power upgrades much more noticeable.

2. Slippery 0.27-.031 drag coefficient
    When paired with the light weight, this really helps makes the most out of every horsepower, along with amazing highway fuel economy.

3. Fuel economy, easily 45+ MPG
    My lifetime average sits at about 49 MPG, and I've gotten 60 MPG on some highway trips when traffic and lights agree. Hybrid mileage without the expensive and heavy batteries? Eat your heart out, Prius.

4. Impressive list of standard features.
    My car's only option is Bluetooth. Standard, I get automatic climate control, remote locks, and power everything.

5. Comfortable seating.
    The seats are supportive, comfortable, and the headrest is actually a headrest, not requiring you to stare at the ceiling to rest your head on it.

6. Featherweight clutch
    Having driven in 5 hours of rush hour traffic yesterday, I am infinitely thankful for its light clutch.

Final score? 8/10. Mitsubishi brought back the simple, lightweight, efficient cars that many of us loved in the 90s, and for that I thank them, especially for making it very aerodynamic. That combination won me over. I can't fault them too much for the electronic throttle lag and steering feel, since that's me being picky, but the lack of foresight in regards to the rear alignment definitely dings their score.
    I count 4 big complaints and I know you are short 1 for the manual. 6th gear even in a car as low powered as the mirage would make interstate driving more efficient.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't count the body roll as a "big" complaint, because I fixed that with some sport springs. I do like how the stock suspension glides over rough roads and speed bumps, but that comes with a trade-off of softer cornering. And yes, I do wish it had a 6th gear or a taller final drive ratio. Spinning at 3500 RPM on the freeway is a bit much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)