Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have luck removing oil filter with standard filter or strap wrench?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As a Very Last Resort, on a car that I didn't need to use anytime soon, I jammed a screwdriver through the filter to get the leverage to unscrew it. I am not recommending that you do this. It's just to help folks think outside the box.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

Cani Lupine (05-25-2015),fc321 (07-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    EDIT: ^ What he said. Didn't see that reply when I posted this.
    Last edited by Cani Lupine; 05-25-2015 at 11:05 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    You can also take a hammer and screwdriver to make a quick handle on the filter. Makes a bit of a mess, but handy if you don't have big pliers or a filter wrench around.
    Yeap, that's always my last, no-more-frustration resource.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've found that as long as you do not overtighten the filter when you put it on, you can get it off by just using a rubber gripper mat(found one in our kitchen). Gives you enough grip to spin it off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fifteenwindow View Post
    As a Very Last Resort, on a car that I didn't need to use anytime soon, I jammed a screwdriver through the filter to get the leverage to unscrew it. I am not recommending that you do this. It's just to help folks think outside the box.
    Been there, done that. But once I had a filter so stubburn, I ripped the filter casing to shreds trying that method. Finally got it off with a huge pair of channel locks borrowed from a bro. I went out and bought me a pair right after.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.6 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Remember, when putting a new filter on, ALWAYS lube up the gasket with oil and prime the filtering media by filling it up a bit with fresh oil!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

fifteenwindow (05-25-2015)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    Remember, when putting a new filter on, ALWAYS lube up the gasket with oil and prime the filtering media by filling it up a bit with fresh oil!
    I've never had a problem in 35+ years of changing oil. Only one stuck is this factory installed one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My Mirage oil filter was welded to my engine, I had the correct flute filter socket, it rounded off the flutes! Then I tried a clamp filter wrench and it wasn't strong enough, took it to walmart for their labor, took 2 guys (one reaching down and helping to align this oil filter clamp and one below with a long 3/8 ratchet to break it free.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Uni...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

That's similar to what they used. My 2 oil changes since then were from the dealership so no experience yet... I thought about removing the oil drain catch below the filter to allow better access but it was 10 degrees F outside and I was on a piece of cardboard on top of a sheet of ice doing the oil change in a parking lot so I didn't want to stay out there for much longer haha.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

tomrad (05-25-2015)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I GOT IT!
    Got the filter off, did the oil change and all is well so far.
    Used a Mitsubishi/Denso filter, noticed I got about 1/2 turn once the gasket contacted the base. Filter states 3/4, but if I recall, in the old days the rule was 1/2-3/4. As long as she no leak, we are good.
    To get the filter off, by the way, I used an old KD Tools band type wrench my Dad suggested. That wrench must be 40-50 years old. Still tricky to do, though. barely had room because of the 'drip catcher' under the filter. That, by the way, may be there to keep oil off of the starter.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I did the oil & filter today and I will say this, the filter on my smart fortwo was much easier to get at!It just hung out the back like a stinger....I didn't even have to pop the hood or jack it up.....The Mirage I had to jack it up & take the skid/belly pan off to get enough access from below, and even with the cap wrench it was on really tight!Oh well, the Fram PH7317 that I used has that "non-slip" black grip compound on it, and I sure did not torque it down as tight as the factory filter was, so next time I may get it off easier....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)