Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anyone have luck removing oil filter with standard filter or strap wrench?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It was difficult at first but all you need is one arm to screw it back in. Well I guess its easy for me because I have long arms.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was wondering about this because i remember a post where one guy was listing the advantages of the Mirage and said "I can change the oil without needing to jack the car up at all"

I will be performing my first oil change soon. I am at 6900 miles

I have one of these style of wrenches (I wanted something that would fit many different cars)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I was wondering about this because i remember a post where one guy was listing the advantages of the Mirage and said "I can change the oil without needing to jack the car up at all"

I will be performing my first oil change soon. I am at 6900 miles

I have one of these style of wrenches (I wanted something that would fit many different cars)

Well, normally I would say yes but for some unknown reason the OEM filter installed during manufacture has been difficult to remove to say the least. It may require a whole lot of "muscle". Some members have had to drive a screwdriver through it it get it off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-22-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just got an amazing deal on craigslist

12 quarts of Mitsubishi branded fully synthetic oil for $25

The seller thought it only worked on Mitsubishi cars. You will be suprised what turns up if you search your local craigslist for "mitsubishi mirage" and sort the listings from lowest to highest price. I could have probably got it for $20 but I didnt want to break the dude's balls.

Last edited by fc321; 07-22-2017 at 11:03 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-22-2017),Marklovski (07-23-2017)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dang. Nothing comes up for me in SeaTac. I always like deals on oil.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I just got an amazing deal on craigslist

12 quarts of Mitsubishi branded fully synthetic oil for $25

The seller thought it only worked on Mitsubishi cars. You will be suprised what turns up if you search your local craigslist for "mitsubishi mirage" and sort the listings from lowest to highest price. I could have probably got it for $20 but I didnt want to break the dude's balls.

Awesome deal ! 4 oil changes worth. It's always amazing to me the number of people who have absolutely no idea how a vehicle functions other than to put gas in it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I understand that's the wrong motor oil for the Mirage (the part number has been superceded and is off by one.

I better take that off your hands.

Really, great find. I'm jealous.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-23-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Well, normally I would say yes but for some unknown reason the OEM filter installed during manufacture has been difficult to remove to say the least. It may require a whole lot of "muscle". Some members have had to drive a screwdriver through it it get it off.
    That might work if you can slide it down from the top and grip it. It won't fit from below cause there's a trough right below the filter that will be in the way. Or just get a cup style filter socket. You'll only need it once cause the factory filter is small and tightened by Godzilla. This is what I use: http://www.gearwrench.com/auto-speci...er-wrench.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)