Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Anyone have luck removing oil filter with standard filter or strap wrench?

  1. #31
    Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Seattle
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    321
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 83 Times in 60 Posts
    It was difficult at first but all you need is one arm to screw it back in. Well I guess its easy for me because I have long arms.


    Fuel Log: Good enough

  2. #32
    Senior Member fc321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
    I was wondering about this because i remember a post where one guy was listing the advantages of the Mirage and said "I can change the oil without needing to jack the car up at all"

    I will be performing my first oil change soon. I am at 6900 miles

    I have one of these style of wrenches (I wanted something that would fit many different cars)

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual (no bluetooth) nickname: "Agile Grey Rat"

  3. #33
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,646
    Thanks
    1,275
    Thanked 541 Times in 406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I was wondering about this because i remember a post where one guy was listing the advantages of the Mirage and said "I can change the oil without needing to jack the car up at all"

    I will be performing my first oil change soon. I am at 6900 miles

    I have one of these style of wrenches (I wanted something that would fit many different cars)

    Well, normally I would say yes but for some unknown reason the OEM filter installed during manufacture has been difficult to remove to say the least. It may require a whole lot of "muscle". Some members have had to drive a screwdriver through it it get it off.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.7 mpg (US) ... 17.3 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.8 mpg (Imp)


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

    fc321 (07-22-2017)

  5. #34
    Senior Member fc321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
    I just got an amazing deal on craigslist

    12 quarts of Mitsubishi branded fully synthetic oil for $25

    The seller thought it only worked on Mitsubishi cars. You will be suprised what turns up if you search your local craigslist for "mitsubishi mirage" and sort the listings from lowest to highest price. I could have probably got it for $20 but I didnt want to break the dude's balls.



    Last edited by fc321; 07-22-2017 at 11:03 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual (no bluetooth) nickname: "Agile Grey Rat"

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

    inuvik (07-22-2017),Marklovski (07-23-2017)

  7. #35
    Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Seattle
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    321
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 83 Times in 60 Posts
    Dang. Nothing comes up for me in SeaTac. I always like deals on oil.
    Fuel Log: Good enough

  8. #36
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,646
    Thanks
    1,275
    Thanked 541 Times in 406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I just got an amazing deal on craigslist

    12 quarts of Mitsubishi branded fully synthetic oil for $25

    The seller thought it only worked on Mitsubishi cars. You will be suprised what turns up if you search your local craigslist for "mitsubishi mirage" and sort the listings from lowest to highest price. I could have probably got it for $20 but I didnt want to break the dude's balls.



    Awesome deal ! 4 oil changes worth. It's always amazing to me the number of people who have absolutely no idea how a vehicle functions other than to put gas in it.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.7 mpg (US) ... 17.3 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.8 mpg (Imp)


  9. #37
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,897
    Thanks
    1,978
    Thanked 692 Times in 516 Posts
    I understand that's the wrong motor oil for the Mirage (the part number has been superceded and is off by one.

    I better take that off your hands.

    Really, great find. I'm jealous.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.0 mpg (US) ... 20.8 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.8 mpg (Imp)


  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

    fc321 (07-23-2017)

  11. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Alberta
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    263
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 156 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Well, normally I would say yes but for some unknown reason the OEM filter installed during manufacture has been difficult to remove to say the least. It may require a whole lot of "muscle". Some members have had to drive a screwdriver through it it get it off.
    That might work if you can slide it down from the top and grip it. It won't fit from below cause there's a trough right below the filter that will be in the way. Or just get a cup style filter socket. You'll only need it once cause the factory filter is small and tightened by Godzilla. This is what I use: http://www.gearwrench.com/auto-speci...er-wrench.html



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •