Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage cracked 100+ MPG on a 20 mile round trip!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mirage cracked 100+ MPG on a 20 mile round trip!

Took a year and a half since owning the car...that and a calm sunday morning

Went to the store this morning about ten miles from my home and traffic was pretty much non existent.

I always wanted to confirm that the display only reads up to 99.9 MPGs and then it goes to dashes. It does!

Of course this took super aggressive hypermiling. Average speed maybe high twenties (MPH).

At one point I had to speed up because a vehicle turned behind me but luckily it was in a 40MPH zone a mile from a stop sign so not much damage.

Basic driving technique was pulse and glide between about 40-20 MPH with EOC.

Got her up to the 90's in a few miles,then on the way back the display started switching between high nineties and DASHES!

Name:  150531_0011.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  150531_0019.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  150531_0021.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  70.8 KB

by the last few miles of the trip it never even came off of dashes so it stayed in the 100+ MPG territory.

Settling nicely on this once I got home:
    Name:  150531_0033.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  94.6 KB

Nice to know if it was an MPG rally the Mirage could deliver some numbers that put my 50cc 4 stroke scooter to shame

That and also I always wondered if it is still possible regardless of driving style because if you coast down to too low of a speed there is a point when you start hurting MPGs due to having to accelerate from a very low speed/ wasting fuel on taking too long to get up to speed etc.

So while this is far from real world driving I'm still happy to know it is POSSIBLE to crack 100 MPG in a 5 passenger car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

debburyl (06-01-2015),Donut (05-31-2015),fifteenwindow (05-31-2015),MetroMPG (05-31-2015),R01k (05-31-2015)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    holy cow!

really nice display of fuel economy 3d!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Impressive!

How are you killing the engine? Key, start button or kill switch?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's amazing!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Which gear do you use to accelerate? What mileage would you reach when driving with constant 30 MPH?
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    3d, do you have a cam? I guess it would be educational to see you pulse and glide around.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Wow ! Did that once with a '07 Prius . Got gas . Then traveled from the east end to the west side of the the city into the garage at 99.9 . Hit the lights just right and very little traffic in the city . Think it was on a Sunday evening , that likely helped . Great job !!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    MetroMPG mine has a regular key thank goodness I don't have to toggle morse code on a button

I actually turned the radio volume down because it was bothering me counting to 30 seconds. I timed the pulses to end right as the display updates,and also the coasts to end either at 30 or 60 seconds so I would key off right after an update,or bump start right after an update. Just to keep the display a little more clear and easier to anticipate for me.

Of course this could not happen 100% of the time due to the fact that I was driving on public roads with intersections and stop signs but lets say I tried for it as much as I could.

25Plus: After bump start usually accelerate in third gear then shift to fifth on this run. Once in a while I saw the ECO light go off when I pushed a little too hard.

I would not know the MPG at steady 30MPH because I think steady throttle is less efficient than pulse and glide so I don't do it.

But maybe next drive I will make an exception and see what it gets.

Donut: I guess I could do a video but it would be pretty darn boring to watch Plus my internet connection at the house is so slow every time I send an email and look outside the window,I see a guy with a folder in his hand running out of my shed...

Seriously it would be a challenge to upload a video before my internet recovers. (it is a limited satellite system because I live in the middle of farmlands.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Don (06-01-2015)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I saw the dashes once after a 92 mpg reading when coasting about .75 mile from a 45 zone down to 35 then to a right on yield otherwise traffic lighted intersection, slight downgrade made it a single pulse at the beginning, but I did not shut the engine off.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    I saw the dashes once after a 92 mpg reading when coasting about .75 mile from a 45 zone down to 35 then to a right on yield otherwise traffic lighted intersection, slight downgrade made it a single pulse at the beginning, but I did not shut the engine off.

regards
    mech
    I have never saw the dashes before because the terrain is so flat around here I can't get a good coast going.
    My longest coast I can do is 1 mile at one particular place after climbing an overpass over I-75 on my way home from work.

But it's a 40 zone with strictly enforced speed limit and I got burned there before.

I guess that is why I carry about 100lbs of tools in my car for ballast. It simply coasts better with the added weight.

I really don't think there is much benefit to shut the engine off,but there is SOME! So for this personal record attempt I was squeezing everything I could.