Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For Sale: MAF sensor housings for custom intakes

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justamirage View Post
    I wouldn't want the problems the guy in this thread has. Why mess with it, if it doesn't provide any advantage of MPG or performance?

The reason why he had problems is because he had to reconnect the wires to the mass air flow meter. ANY change in resistance will change what the mass air flow meter tells the computer. This change can be rather drastic and seriously effect driveability of the car even though everything may in fat be hooked back up properly.

This is why it is paramount that if you decide to build your own intake, you MUST make sure it is secure so as to not cause a short or pull the wires out of the mass air flow meter.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How in the world did I miss this thread?

Anyway, as to running an oiled air filter, you can do it and not damage the MAF meter. HOWEVER, if the filter has too much oil on it then that is when it will cause problems. Here is the reason why;

Mass air flow meters typically have a wire that crosses the air intake. This intake is heated to a set temprature. The computer can then see the temp as it fluctuates according to how much air cross over the wire. The computer then looks at the intake air temp sensor to determine the ambient air temp. So using the ambient air temp compared to the temp of the wire, the computer can then calculate the density of the air coming into the engine and how much air it actually is. From there, the computer determines how much fuel to inject.

Now, if you install an oiled air filter that is over oiled, some of that oil will get on to that heated wire and it acts as an insulator. So, the incoming air does not cool the wire down as much and thus, the computer does not inject the correct amount of fuel for the air that is being ingested by the motor.

This is why, for the most part, a dry filter is typically better on an engine that utilizes a mass air flow sensor.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-22-2017)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just purchased one, but it will probably be a few months before I can do something with it as winter is approaching and things are super busy for me right now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just wanted to bump this thread.

Cool part. Looks smooth compared to other prints I've seen.

You mentioned it's 3d printed, can I ask what type of material is this made from? (Beyond "plastic" )

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Certainly. The MAF housing is made of ABS.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I ordered mine yesterday and I am looking forward to getting it. Next I will order some headers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just so everyone knows, I will be out of the country for the next 3 weeks (headed out to help at a orphanage in Africa, yay!). If you order a MAF housing, it won't be shipped until I am back home which will be the very end of July.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

2of9 (07-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Doax could you make the tube part bigger like 2.5 or 3 inch wider?

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by axeldsm1 View Post
    Doax could you make the tube part bigger like 2.5 or 3 inch wider?

If he were to do that, your car will not run right at all, unless you have a way to completely reprogram the factory computer to handle the change in air flow going across the MAF sensor. Besides, unless you have a LOT of modifications done, the factory 2" intake is not a restriction.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-01-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    91cavgt is correct. Altering the size of the pipe will throw off the sensor readings. The part I make is modeled to the specs of the OEM airbox to maintain correct sensor readings. I also agree with his statement that it is big enough for the amount of power the Mirage makes.

If you are going to modify the engine enough to need a bigger inlet, it can be done, but tuning will be necessary to bring things back in line with where they're supposed to be.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (09-01-2016)