Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Half way though my 4100 mile (6600 km) Mirage road trip/vacation ...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We're going roundtrip from New York to California in August. My coworkers think that I went nuts, but I can't wait for the date to come.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ro1k,,, that will be a Nice Trip!!! If it's well planed and your car is packed just wright with the stuff you really need. And leave out the things you won't use that way you won't have it over packed. What route are you planing to go? Hwy 40 threw tenn ark Texas New Mexico Arizona and then Calif? I think that route has less steep grades. Keep us posted
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We made a trip from minnesota to florida and back with 3 adults and a 16 year old... About 3800 miles and with full luggage the rear end bottomed out easily and felt like jello... Otherwise it was a great trip... Cost us abot $210 in gas

My recommendation is to get a rear sway bar installed before the trip... I picked up mine in Florida from our sponsor on the trip and installed it before our next trip and it relly inproved the jello feel of the rear.

Good luck and have fun

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Trips around California and roundtrip: 7200 mi at least.

I'm planning everything well in advance. It'll be me, my girlfriend, her two kids, and not so much luggage (550 lbs at least) so I prepared the itinerary allowing to stop 10 minutes per hour at most. Most of the deserts will be traveled during the night, although I think the A/C would be able to keep up on the day.

Two phones under Verizon with Google Maps, a backup standalone GPS and a paper road Atlas. Just in case, 1/4 of engine oil, some coolant, 2 gallons of gas, jumper cables, tool kit, etc. Tire balance and rotation will be due arriving to CA.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    Is that your Frist oil change? Have you ck it? I'm sure it's fine.
    I'm not back to Michigan yet, going to stay in AZ for another week. But yes, when I get back, that will be my 1st oil change. I have checked the oil twice, no change in level.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.6 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    JimInMichigan , are you using a synthetic engine oil ? If we had a MIRAGE it would get a full synthetic such Pennzoil Platinum with Pure Plus , Amsoil XL or Mobil1 Extended . We've used full synthetics for many years .
    cinder: The oil from the Mitsu factory is Synthetic. I will continue to use Syn oil. I have always used Mobil1 in my new vehicles. Now in my 98 S-10 with 180K miles, I just use dino oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.6 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    What route are you planing to go?
    I'm taking the I-90, I-80, I-70 and I-15. It's the route suggested by Google Maps, but I have no idea how steep overall it could be.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cchataway View Post
    Jim, when on the highway and going uphill does the car hold it's on on speed and gears or does it struggle? When I say up hill I mean like a sea level change from one city to another. Back in the 80's I had a Ford Fiesta and was going from a city that was lower sea level wise to the next city so it was up hill I couldn't get out of third gear nor use the A/C, that trip really sucked! So just wondering how our cars handle that scenario?
    Thanks if you have time,
    Carl
    Small slopes, it did fine. Larger hills it would " downshift ". Going up the steep hills is where it got most frustrating ( as in my original post ). I rode with the A/C on regardless of the struggle. If a vehicle can't at least keep me comfortable, I won't own it. I did how ever, turn the A/C off momentarily a few times, to give it a little more HP when needed. You could feel a big difference. But the A/C went right back on before it got hot inside the vehicle.

Hope that helps.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thank you sir

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    Just in case, 1/4 of engine oil, some coolant, 2 gallons of gas, jumper cables, tool kit, etc. Tire balance and rotation will be due arriving to CA.
    You might want to reconsider taking so much. As for fuel, I had no problem getting gas. When I was in doubt, I filled up at the half tank mark. I'm assuming you have a newer vehicle, so you wont need the coolant, but a gallon of drinking water wouldn't hurt and it can be used in the vehicle if needed.

I am speaking from experience on this trip. One large suitcase in back, one medium in back seat. My notebook case, camera bag, hotel diddy bag and a couple Walmart bags all fit in the rear with the large suitcase. In front of the medium suitcase on the backseat I sat a 12 pack hard side cooler. I was pretty well packed. You might want to dry fit your items before the trip, so you get an idea of how and what will fit.

Also, just thinking here, but you should have the 5 year Mitsu roadside service. That cuts the need for a lot of the extras as well.

Last edited by JimInMichigan; 06-06-2015 at 08:53 PM.