Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My sick twisted idea that came to my head today!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

My sick twisted idea that came to my head today!

So I test drove a fiesta and it felt good, I was impressed with the power, but I enjoy my mirages better mpg, looks, interior, super light.... So the idea came to mind... A 1.0 eco boost transplant into a mirage. 130hp, slightly more weight, still good mpg and in a mirage chassis it would be a rocket!

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds Dangerous....ly FUN! Do it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Or just add a turbo on your 1.2 with 5psi and call it a day.

I do like ford's vectoring management tech - if it is installed in the fiesta.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I really don't like adding a turbo to a stock engine, there would be engine management required as well as the transmission and drive line that is rated for 74hp. If the Mirage had a beefy transmission it would sound good but I don't think the F5MBD will take much abuse. 5 Psi on a 74hp at the crank engine would only get close to 100-110hp when compared to the ecoboost 10 123hp and 125ft lb torque stock. The ecoboost10 also is a engine that is limited by its 2500lb chassis, I think a Mirage could easily clear 16s 1/4 with a ecoboost 10 and it might even get better mpg with the tall gearing the fiesta transmission has. I really do love this engine! My Mirage wants one! Maybe in 15 years once its proven itself reliable!

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Who would put a turbo in without engine management? I'm giving everything under the engine bay the benefit of the doubt - that it could handle 100hp.

Hell, I'm happy with it now. 100hp would get me over the moon.

Lastly, unless the Ford called mitsubishi and talked about aligning everything with the two engine bays, I doubt you could 'drop' an ecoboost engine in the mirage without $$$.

Adding a turbo should cost 5k or less, thats with a tune already. putting the 1.0t in the mirage would require the engine and God only knows how much custom work.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No I'm just saying the added cost of engine management plus the custom turbo setup, not wasn't saying anything about using a turbo with stock ecu or inferring you were either, just noting it would be a extra expense which can add up quickly for a good engine management system + dyno tuning.

A used front clip from a wrecked fiesta 1.0T could run about 3500, there would be a lot of custom work involved but the research and development in the ecoboost is just amazing,

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    When you said twisted, I thought maybe you were going to get enough torque in there to do the job! I recall, possibly an urban myth, that when Dodge first put the Viper V10 into a truck, some were actually twisting the frame.

I'm all for people having fun, but it seems to me that making the Mirage into a sports car would require enough money to buy a sports car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You know someone already makes a Super Charger kit for the Mirage. Its in this forum. Also its been said and I think in that forum that the trans in the Mirage "CTV" is also in a lot of other cars with much more powerful engines. It can take a little boost. 5K for a super charger kit will cost a heck of a lot less that getting basically an entire Fiesta to transplant the drive line from and all of the electronics as I am sure you know they don't sell an off the shelf engine control kit for a Fiesta motor. Man your talking about SO SO much more than 5k for that to work out!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    No I'm just saying the added cost of engine management plus the custom turbo setup, not wasn't saying anything about using a turbo with stock ecu or inferring you were either, just noting it would be a extra expense which can add up quickly for a good engine management system + dyno tuning.

A used front clip from a wrecked fiesta 1.0T could run about 3500, there would be a lot of custom work involved but the research and development in the ecoboost is just amazing,
    I'd say 5k-7k max, tuned.

I recon you'd spend way more for your engine transplant setup. See all the points made by this person below.

Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    You know someone already makes a Super Charger kit for the Mirage. Its in this forum. Also its been said and I think in that forum that the trans in the Mirage "CTV" is also in a lot of other cars with much more powerful engines. It can take a little boost. 5K for a super charger kit will cost a heck of a lot less that getting basically an entire Fiesta to transplant the drive line from and all of the electronics as I am sure you know they don't sell an off the shelf engine control kit for a Fiesta motor. Man your talking about SO SO much more than 5k for that to work out!!!
    In fact, IIRC, the same CVT is being used by the Juke - which should be heavier than the mirage AND has a more powerful engine AND has an option for AWD too.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    To make the fiesta engine fit would require custom engine mounts, gearbox if it doesn't suite the mirages one.
    You can easily turbo the stock 1.2 and run 7psi daily. 7psi is around the safe limit for most engines, if you wish to take a risk you can run 10.