Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch Control

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    Not sure what you mean by that, could you clarify? If I didn't give it gas from a stop, it would stall. Only had that happen once, but I've not given it enough gas several times to have the RPMs drop pretty low.
    By releasing the clutch ever so slowly, one can start rolling the car without touching the accelerator.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Theory is that the less 'gas' pedal you use, the less gasoline you use.

With that said, if you're able to get the car rolling without touching the accelerator, then you would probably be using less gasoline.
    Thanks, but how do you consider someone a clutch driver? they say its a bad habit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I get what you're saying. The car creeps because of the idle speed of around 700-900 rpm and you're balancing the clutch on the biting point.. kinda like moving on an automatic car.

being a clutch driver is different. I think it's when you rest your foot on the clutch all the time (clutch riding?) and/or spend most of the time stepping on it on the 'almost biting point' position to anticipate the next gear change. or giving too much gas and not getting to the bite point soon enough.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    You eliminate the "biting point" altogether. Gear changes are rev matched so there is no distinguishable engagement. Only time you really get a point you start off from a stop. After that the smoother the better and stuff lasts a very long time.

The most noticeable thing when I drive is bump starting, still working on that. It will be right when the wifes head no longer moves forward, if that is possible.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post

The most noticeable thing when I drive is bump starting, still working on that. It will be right when the wifes head no longer moves forward, if that is possible.

regards
    mech

I've quit doing that. Not sure if the $ benefits are worth parts breaking.

Thanks
    There is one stretch of road here where I can run the engine for 15 seconds (3 pulses) and travel close to 2 miles. Good for 70 + mpg. Running the engine would ruin that

I understand the wear and tear concern and generally agree with your decision. My best mileage is through neighborhoods with 25 speed limits where EOC reigns supreme.

Long hills on Interstates are OK until traffic density increases risks and I coast in neutral. My favorite Interstate tactic is hill acentuated pulse-drafting behind a big rig with 3 stripes (126 feet) separation minimum.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ No, I understand that at some places, on/off works. There's way too many vehicles here in Houston to do that.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gunlak View Post
    I get what you're saying. The car creeps because of the idle speed of around 700-900 rpm and you're balancing the clutch on the biting point.. kinda like moving on an automatic car.

being a clutch driver is different. I think it's when you rest your foot on the clutch all the time (clutch riding?) and/or spend most of the time stepping on it on the 'almost biting point' position to anticipate the next gear change. or giving too much gas and not getting to the bite point soon enough.
    yep thats right, i dont know why i was used to put my left foot on the clutch anticipating on what will i do next with the clutch. but now im trying to remove this habit. maybe its because im afraid that the engine would turn off or stall just like when your on 1st gear when you release the clutch earlier without stepping on the gas. still a newbie driver hehehe 7months old driver here

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Whenever I teach driving on 5spd, I find it easier to teach good clutch control, that is, not applying any gas to accelerate. A week or two with my technique, they learn, by themselves, to modulate the gas.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Whenever I teach driving on 5spd, I find it easier to teach good clutch control, that is, not applying any gas to accelerate. A week or two with my technique, they learn, by themselves, to modulate the gas.
    That's very similar what we have done.

Excise #1. Put in 1st gear and get car moving w/o accelerator on flat surface. Hint: when you feel clutch touching hold it in place until car is moving then release it.

Ex #2 learn shifting pattern! (with engine off, car parked and clutch pressed)

Ex #3 as #1, except light press on accelerator when holding clutch slipping.

Ex #4 hold car pointed uphill still by using clutch and accelerator

Ex #5 practice shift patterns 1-2-3-4-5, 2-4, 3-5, 5-4-3-2, 5-3, shifting to neutral at stop, etc

Ex #6 starts up steep uphill with hand brake

Took very little time to teach my teenager, and he used this on several of his college buddies, works like a charm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)